IGNORED

difference pcw, barnett or skydoc?

hi, i'm new here and i need infos. I'm getting a little confused cause i got some clutch slippage on my 05 rstd and i saw a lot of treads on the subject but i don't see the main difference between a barnett, pcw or skydoc solution. i need to do the job fast cause here in montreal, riding season is short. my rstd got 125000 km on it and just slipping in 4th or 5th gears and i feel a lack of power while cruising at +/- 65 mi/h on highway. since it just slipping a bit, i think the previous owner already change the disc before but who knows. can i just change the spring and if it dont work change the discs later? By the way, forgive my english but i'm mostly french speaking so i try my best

Welcome to VR.org.

PCW is a stronger bellville spring like what is currently installed. It will help but not cure if you are heavy handed on the throttle. Skydoc17 is also a stronger spring with a design similar to OEM. Again, it will help but not cure if you are heavy handed.

The Barnett changes out the pressure plate and provides multiple coil springs instead of the bellville style spring. It will cure the problem.

Costs more, but you will no longer need to concern yourself with the clutch.

RR

PS. Skydoc is VERY knowledgeable about these bikes. Take his input as gospel.

My input? Not so much.

hi, i'm new here and i need infos. I'm getting a little confused cause i got some clutch slippage on my 05 rstd and i saw a lot of treads on the subject but i don't see the main difference between a barnett, pcw or skydoc solution. i need to do the job fast cause here in montreal, riding season is short. my rstd got 125000 km on it and just slipping in 4th or 5th gears and i feel a lack of power while cruising at +/- 65 mi/h on highway. since it just slipping a bit, i think the previous owner already change the disc before but who knows. can i just change the spring and if it dont work change the discs later? By the way, forgive my english but i'm mostly french speaking so i try my best

I tried the PCW a while back and though it works well and less expensive than the Barnett, I felt it left the friction zone application a little too far out for my liking.. (the clutch lever had to go out a lot more than OEM to engage the friction zone..)

I then installed the Barnett spring and plates and prefered it as it left the friction where it felt more comfortable for me and felt more effective for my needs. You'll feel the extra pressure when you pull on the clutch lever, so its something you will have to get used to. Depending how bad your steel or friction plates are, you might be able to get away with just sanding the steel plates to remove the shine from them. I had replaced the all the steel and friction plates with the Barnett ones and never looked back.

Your budget and riding style would most likely dictate which will work best for your needs. The installation of both types is rather simple and easy to do.

My personal preference is the Barnett set-up. A little more pricey but a true upgrade over the stock set-up. Installed mine back in 2005 and it works great.

i use the skydoc with new plates [did not change the steel plates] in my opinion it is perfect i have a sidecar and pull a very large camper not a bit of slip since it went in no real difference in the clutch leaver weight i did do away with the half plate and fit skydocs full plate :backinmyday:

An even cheaper route: double up two stock springs. Definitely cure the slipping if the slipping is due to weak spring, but your left hand will pay in stop and go traffic.

I had the slip in fourth gear full throttle. Installed Earl's spring and all is well. Earl doesn't make the spring and I don't know the brand he sells.

If memory serves, Skydoc is selling the PCW spring as part of his kit. The kit includes a full friction plate to replace the "half" friction plate at the "bottom" of the stack. That also makes a good difference. I installed Skydoc's kit with new friction plates last year and there has been no hint of slippage ever since, no matter what I do.

Andy

If memory serves, Skydoc is selling the PCW spring as part of his kit. The kit includes a full friction plate to replace the "half" friction plate at the "bottom" of the stack. That also makes a good difference. I installed Skydoc's kit with new friction plates last year and there has been no hint of slippage ever since, no matter what I do.

Andy

:sign yeah that:exactly what I did and skydoc is always willing to help if needed. The directions he sent were very good and all I needed to do the job. It's been two years plus.

I have a 2008 RSV with the SkyDoc Upgrade

&

I have a 2002 RSV Trike with a Barnett Clutch Plate, replaced 1/2 disc & optional PURPLE springs.

My opinions are:

SkyDoc disc & spring kit is great for a RSV alone.

Barnett, disc & PURPLE springs are great for a Trike, Sidecar or heavy trailer use.

One thing to consider is clutch lever force. There is little change for the SkyDoc mod while the full Barnett/disc mod makes you use lots of force to pull the clutch lever in.

JohnB

the PCW and Skydoc kits are the same thing. They both have a spring that is a lot stronger than stock.

I have the PCW only because I got it before SkyDoc started selling his kit. When it is the same part at a similar price, I always prefer to support our members. I have had it in for 4 years, pull a heavy trailer and no issues.

As to whether you need to replace the clutch, you can not tell till you get in there.

A new friction disc is 3mm (.118 inch) thick the replace thickness is 2.8mm (.110 inch) thick. I did mine at 40K miles and my discs measured .117 inch thick, so I reused them. But then I did do the spring at the very first time it slipped. How long you have been slipping will determine how much wear you have.

Go with Skydoc, this man has developed his own clutch system and it works perfect, put it in mine 3 yrs ago and it works great, no slipage no matter how hard you want to throttle up in any gear. It also elimates the wire and makes reworking the clutch easy, did mine in under 2 hrs and I am a novice, just remeber to soak the plates in oil before installing. And I will also say Skydoc's word is gospel concerning these bikes.:stirthepot:

• 2 weeks later...

it's done, took 2h30 to do it counting the time of extracting the bolt that i broke and going to carquest to get 6 new one...and i did it really slowly to make sure i'm doing it right. the difference is amazing, a lot of power, no need to fight to get the neutral again and the lever stiffness is not a big thing. I highly recommend this kit. And the service by skydoc is the best, thanks again