IGNORED

pegs vs floorboards

I don't have floorboards but they do tend to put your feet farthur forward, which will let you stretch out some more.

If you have plenty of leg to support the bike flat footed when stopped without standing up, then you could have some depth (height?) added to the seat, there are several motorcycle seat companies that could rebuild your seat to your specs, or you could probably take it to any good upholstry shop.

You might want to try a strap-on pad first to see how you like it. Remember that raising your body up higher on the seat will effect arm position, how you see over the windshield etc.

Have you considered adding forward pegs to let you really stretch out? I added them to my VR and while I am not real tall (6.0) I do like to kick my feet forward.

I had floorboards on my 88VR when I bought it. Couldn't get used to them, sold them and went to pegs. First thing I noticed was you need longer legs with the boards. When you go to plant your feet at a stop, you have to spread your legs wider to get your feet around the boards unlike pegs, I have a 34" inseam.

Another issue that has happened with floorboards is some crack the engine case cover your stator is in. Why I don't know. I had an extra engine cover I sold to a member because this happened.

I did try a Travelcade seat for a while, it did raise me up about an 1" but also moved me forward an 1" too, didn't like that. I would try some pegs mounted to the crashbars to give ya some leg room.

I have also thought about and am checking out obtaining and installing floor boards. I've been watching ebay...and notice....as mentioned....they always go for big dollars....no matter what the conditon is. There is a set listed right now..and a heel/toe shifter too. I know bidding will go crazy within the last hour of the auction. 'Okscooter' raises some good points for consideration about the boards....things i didn't think of. I am just over 6 feet....and also feel the need to stretch out a little. I have added highway pegs to the crash bars and played around with positioning them....and have found a good comfortable spot. Works great to stretch out when on a long ride. Maybe I'll stick with what i have. rez

Guest KitCarson

Something to consider......I do not have a 1st gen sitting where I can look at it at the moment.....but what about Mic-O-Pegs......I have never liked standard highway pegs on most bikes, as they keep your legs spread with no support for your legs.....all the weight is somehow not balanced......so the highway pegs to me always were good..for awhile.......I have had Mic-O-Pegs on several bikes.....I think they will fit the 1st gen......several mounting styles are available.....they are a peg that acts as a highway bar...but are spring loaded so your feet go down and give your legs a more relaxed riding position.

Yes your heel will hit the road in a sharp lean......but they are very comfortable....you just learn to let them spring up in a sharp corner.....and no they are not cheap.....they want big bucks for them too........but they are great if they will fit your application......

You might want to try a strap-on pad first to see how you like it. Remember that raising your body up higher on the seat will effect arm position, how you see over the windshield etc.

Does anybody else remember the first time they tried a strap-on?

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

when i bought mine , it had boards on it , i sold them to buddy , don't know if he has put them on yet , but i am 6,2 and hated them , i could only use the front 1/3 of them , my big feet hung over the front of them , they are higher than pegs and my knees hit the fairing , i am thinking about foot forward controls that are after market for a vmax but 650.00 for a set ouch !! you can side you seat back about 1 in . i leave the seat bolts out of mine and have a back rest plus i have voyager handle bars [ lov them ] jimbob's showed me how to install them . been thinking about removing the crash bars and installing 2nd gen floor boards , i think the 2 bolts sticking out under the cash bars mite fit ??

thom

I have a 1st Gen. I'm a peg fan. But I would like to either lower my pegs or raise my seat so it is a little farther from my seat to my feet. Do floorboards lower your feet? Has anyone made the seat a little taller?

Good question, but I think it depends on the individual as to what feels comfortable. My '83 is pegged and I'm very confortable riding in the feet back position. or full forward on the highway pegs. My '91 has boards and heel/toe shifter, and I have big feet. The heel/toe sits right over the floor board and doesn't offer a whole lot of room for the foot without getting tangled in the shifter. I'm finding that the setup doesn't let the foot go as far forward as with the pegs and does creat an uncomfortable riding position. Now keep in mind that I haven't looked into any adjustments yet and boards/shifter were set up for another rider. And I hope that there are adjustments, or I'll probably convert the '91 back to peg and toe. Another thing I'm having problems with, so far, is re-educating my toe to do the heel/toe dance. :)

I have a pair of Marklands, the ones that mount on the crash bars, that I had new holes drilled in the arms so that they could be mounted with the arm pointing down instead of up so that they would set lower. Made a huge difference. I like boards better than pegs as it allows you to flex your feet more...

when i bought mine , it had boards on it , i sold them to buddy , don't know if he has put them on yet , but i am 6,2 and hated them , i could only use the front 1/3 of them , my big feet hung over the front of them , they are higher than pegs and my knees hit the fairing , i am thinking about foot forward controls that are after market for a vmax but 650.00 for a set ouch !! you can side you seat back about 1 in . i leave the seat bolts out of mine and have a back rest plus i have voyager handle bars [ lov them ] jimbob's showed me how to install them . been thinking about removing the crash bars and installing 2nd gen floor boards , i think the 2 bolts sticking out under the cash bars mite fit ??

thom

Thom yes I have them on, I put them on the week before Eureka Springs run and boy did they ever help my knee's Thanks Tom they are working out great for me a course I only stand 5'11'' and 230lbs over weight . Any way they worked out perfect thanks Thom. And no I would not like going back to pegs, the floor boards allow my feet to move around taking the pain out of my knee's

buddy

I have a pair of Marklands, the ones that mount on the crash bars, that I had new holes drilled in the arms so that they could be mounted with the arm pointing down instead of up so that they would set lower. Made a huge difference. I like boards better than pegs as it allows you to flex your feet more...

Do you have a pic of thoose boards Bob, thats one thing im still looking to gewt aroud to one day.

One thing i like about my pegs is at 6'4" and a 32" inseam my knee is tight right in the fairing and my foot can angle down as in the pic rathern then having to be flatfooted on a board and my last venture had boards.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Shoebox/th_aaaaaaaazz.jpg

I put boards on my Virago which I like, allows me to move feet around. Haven't tried them on Venture. As I sit on the Venture my toes are pointed down some due to the sportier riding position, so any boards would either have to be angled down or mounted farther forward. Anyway, boards are not inherently lower than pegs, it's all how you mount them.

I have a nice sheepskin on my saddle that probably raises my sitting position by 1/2" or so.

Jeremy