IGNORED

Not real impressed!

ken

A few days ago I decided to stop watching the snow fall and I went out to my garage where my 2008 HD ultra classic is parked. I started waxing the already clean and waxed paint job. I decided to sit on the passenger seat to see how comfy it is, because of the weather the boss has not got to ride it yet. Anyhow I could not believe how tight and scrunched (if thats a real word) it felt. I'm only 5'6 and I felt like I was 6'5 setting on the back. My knees were higher then my backside, and my back was straight up with no room to recline, not even a little. I'm sure if the boss has the same problems I'll be back on a RSV. At least if I go back to the RSV I should'nt lost my shirt on the HD. I got $3,500 off the msrp when I bought it because it's a Peace Officer model.

One things for sure I'm not going to go buy all those pretty chome goodies until the boss is happy.

Can you get some extensions for the passenger footpegs? I have noticed over the years that passengers on Harleys do seem to have their feet up way high.

The wife wasn't happy with the passenger seat on my royale, so I solved the problem by convincing her to get her own bike! Rides this coming summer will be great!

Guest Saddletramp

I was just in a Harley shop with a dyehard buddy of mine and I sat on an Ultra. At 6-1 I was not at all comfortable. I am aware that Harley makes different seats in an attempt to address this issue but the measurements don't sound like they would make much more room. Another customer was standing there and he mentioned that he felt the Ultra was a nice bike. My reply was that I owned a Venture and didn't feel that the Harley was anywhere near as roomy and he agreed with me and offered lots of praise for the Star line-up.:7_6_3[1]:

Can you get some extensions for the passenger footpegs? I have noticed over the years that passengers on Harleys do seem to have their feet up way high.

The wife wasn't happy with the passenger seat on my royale, so I solved the problem by convincing her to get her own bike! Rides this coming summer will be great!

I don't think they make extensions? The floor boards will adjust down by about 3/4", not enought to make a difference. The last trip I took with her on My RSV (which was an 2005) was just over 800 miles round trip up into the upper part of Michigan. She was very comfy for the full trip, while I started getting saddle sore after about 500 miles. This was the midnight with the smooth seat. If I had the pillow top she probably would have feel asleep.

Sorry Dude!

When Vickie and I went bike shoping last summer, I wanted a Ultra Classic, I had been riding a 2002 RSV and wanted somthing new!

Anyway, we took an Ultra for a test ride at one of the local Harley stores that was doing a promo!

After a 10 mile ride, when we pulled back into the parking lot, my beautiful wife looked at me and said " You can get this if you want, I really don't care. But you will be doing a lot more riding by yourself" I love her more than my bike so we got a new Midnight RSV. We both love it!

:080402gudl_prv:

If the foot position is the issue. What I did on my bike was I took the boards off the mounts, flipped the mounts over and installed them. Put the borads back on. Bang! The boards are forward and lower. Mrs. Pitbull LOVES it. Said it lets her rest more comfy.

The last time I checked the RSV wheel base was 3.6" longer than the HD. Whenever I sat on HD I felt crowded and I am only 5'8". On one recent bike blessing my wife could not understand why the women were complaining in the ladies room, that their butts and backs were hurting. That because she is spoiled by the RSV and has never ridden on the back of a HD. :confused24::rotf:

The bike has to impress me as a rider not some insignificant people on side of the road.

i didn't realize till i read it in a bike mag that the yamaha v-star 650 has the same wheel base as a road king. i use to love riding around town on my wife's 650 but was cramped for room. i couldn't think of riding it 2-up. i have a friend thats a harley man(about 5'9 350#s) and his(5'5 130#s?) wife is misable(but he wouldn't sell it for anything else) on the back of it. he got her a set of adjustable (3 posttions)foot pegs that mounts at the same place behind the pass. floorboards and helps her out. o'course they don't do any real long ride, they trailer it.

My wife is 5'11", & thin, & she would never do much on the back of a 2-banger Harley, her knees would be up to her ears.

The HD ultra classic is a great looking bike, but at 6'1", it just doesnt fit me, either.

She used a black, fitted sheepskin [$50.] to be comfortable on the 86VR which had the 'original' seat.

She often fell asleep on longer rides, especially on x-ways.

Since she'll be on a 1500SE Wing this year, with armrests, adjustable floorboards, etc., there's just nowhere else to go for more nav comfort.....according to her.

Hey Ken, Understand. Good Friends bought a new 07 Ultra last year. Both Dave & Maria are large people so Dave moved the trunk back 2"+. Went on a 700 mile trip and switched bikes for a bit. Charlene (5'3" 125 Pounds) was not impressed with the HD passenger seating. Not nearly the same room for passenger. I liked the way it handled and the quickness, but she was not impressed at all, and very happy to switch back to RSV for rest of trip. Later-

I have heard a lot of the same things from others that have ridden the Ultra. It is shorter and there are many that once they have sat on and rode it say they wont buy one. The RSV despite all it's shortcomings and lack of updates is still the best Touring Cruiser on the market....hands down.

The reason that I bought my 1st '99 was that Lonna sat on the back and that was all it took. Since she rides with me 90% of the time, it was a no brainer. Sometimes we find out that things aren't always as they appear, hope you get it all figured out soon :happy34:

Here are the latest specs.

------------2008 HD top tourer----------- 2008 Venture

length -------------------98.3"------------------- 104.5"

wheelbase ---------------63.5" --------------------67.1"

dry weight -------------814 lb. -------------------807 lb.

fuel capacity ------------6 gal. ---------------------6 gal.

need I say more!

Oh yes HD price $20,695 Venture $17,299

Here are the latest specs.

------------2008 HD top tourer----------- 2008 Venture

length -------------------98.3"------------------- 104.5"

wheelbase ---------------63.5" --------------------67.1"

dry weight -------------814 lb. -------------------807 lb.

fuel capacity ------------6 gal. ---------------------6 gal.

need I say more!

Oh yes HD price $20,695 Venture $17,299

I picked the HD for 18,900 new and built for me with chrome spoke wheels and security system (LE discount). This was one of the reason I brought it. I'm pretty sure I could sell it today and make money. When I signed the paper work the F&I guy told me if I sold it within one year Harley would band me from buying new again.

Was this guy serious? If this is the way Harley works I'd have dropped the pen right then and there!!

Yes, he was very serious! I guess the reason is because of past LE Officers and Firefighters buying the bikes at a discount and turning around and selling them for a good profit and then buy another one and again turning another profit.

I don't want to make money, I just want a good comfy bike that me and the wife can both enjoy! And who knows once the wife get to ride she may love it, but after setting on the rear seat myself I've got my doubts. For me it was no where near as comfy has the RSV.

First no one tell me what I can or can't do with my money or my belongings. Second there no waiting list for HD, near me the show rooms are full all you need is the money. It is amazing to me that everyone that buys a Harley can sell it for more "TO WHOM?". If I want to invest my money I buy real estate not motorcycle. I buy my bikes to enjoy. My bike before the Venture was an Vulcan 800B, everyone asked why didn't I buy a HD they hold their value. Beat this, I bought it in 97' payed $5,200 put 46,000 plus enjoyable miles never had a problem never gut stock. I sold it 2007 for $2,400. In percentage may look like a lot but in real dollars I payed $2,800 for 10 year and 46,600 mile I think that is great!

When I signed the paper work the F&I guy told me if I sold it within one year Harley would band me from buying new again.

I agree with the others, I would have told him to get bent and walked out. I know you like this bike, but there isn't anyone on the planet that would tell me that. Then I would have said fine I'll go right back to my YAMAHA...such arrogence by some of the H/D dealers is unbelieveable

:buttkick:

I do hope that you get rid of that H/D and back on an RSV :happy34:

I agree with the others, I would have told him to get bent and walked out. I know you like this bike, but there isn't anyone on the planet that would tell me that. Then I would have said fine I'll go right back to my YAMAHA...such arrogence by some of the H/D dealers is unbelieveable

I do hope that you get rid of that H/D and back on an RSV

:happy34:

I do not hope you get rid any bike. I just hope people make the right choice for them selfs. That they choose base on their personal likes and dislikes not live with something less because of what other may think. My love for motorcycle is greater than any one bike. I am not rich so I need to make sure I spent my money well. Mistakes are to expensive. :mo money:

I think Ken bought through a special program for LEO's and Firefighters. Not just off the street pricing. I personally do not think it is to much to expect to ask people to not abuse that program. Ken - not saying that is what you were doing at all so please do not get offended. Personally understand that a company - any company would not want to see that program abused.

I think Ken bought through a special program for LEO's and Firefighters. Not just off the street pricing. I personally do not think it is to much to expect to ask people to not abuse that program. Ken - not saying that is what you were doing at all so please do not get offended. Personally understand that a company - any company would not want to see that program abused.

I agree and there is some validity to that. If people have, in the past, abused a certain program and/or taken advantage of the generosity of Harley to a portion of their base. A shame when a few people abuse something and cause a rule like this to be established to prevent that.

I do hope that you get rid of that H/D and back on an RSV

:happy34:

hey brad gonna have to start calling you snarley brad. thats what i would do and have done. we have a harley, metric dealer here that is owned buy a rich lawyer. a real ahole. been run out of there several times. thinks he's a biker but don't know the front from the rear. and screws everyone. ya ,have to put $100.00 down up front if you make an offer ,before they will take it to him for approval. i've bought bikes from most of the dealers around here but will never buy from him. :rotf::2133: