IGNORED

Carb Syncing

This is not a question on how to sync the carbs, this instead is a question on when. How do you know when it is time for a sync? What are the tell tale signs showing they are out of sync? Is there a specific mileage that it should be done regardless?

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I sync mine about 3 to 4 times a year, since...having the Carbtune Pro...it is easy to do, and the tool is already here.

Another way to tell when it is time to sync your carbs is..."if" and when a 1st gen Venture passes you...then it is time to sync your carbs:rotf:

:backinmyday:

Dave, I sync mine about 3 to 4 times a year, since...having the Carbtune Pro...it is easy to do, and the tool is already here.

Another way to tell when it is time to sync your carbs is..."if" and when a 1st gen Venture passes you...then it is time to sync your carbs:rotf:

I don't know about others with 1st gens but I had my '85 for 6 years and only sync'd the carbs twice and the second time it didn't need it. On the '87 I rode it for 3 years and never sync'd them. Now what's the difference between 1st and 2nd gen that folks, including myself, feel the need to sync the 2nd gen carbs so often???

I have had two Ventures over the years and have synced the carbs on both. I find that when you begin to hear a little backfiring on decelaration or you notice the gas mileage begin to fall off, its time to sync. Consideration should be used prior to syncing the carbs due to gas mileage. Although the engine is large for a motorcycle, it's still small comparatively speaking and a lot of variables could affect mileage, ie: headwind, load, two up riding, hard riding, etc. If you do sync the carbs, the engine should be warmed up prior to syncing, so go for a short ride, 20 miles or so and then sync. Hope this helps.

Smilin Jack

Sooooo would you be bringing that carbtune to the M&E at the end of the month????

And from what I have found so far.... carb sync or no.... lots of 1st gens will be passing any second gen......:Laugh:

OOOH I am going to be in trouble with the other 2nd gen owners.... having both in the garage I am now able to get involved in this. :stickpoke:

No kidding. My dad was a real mechanic, and did it all by ear. Guess I should have paid more attention when I had the chance.

How do you turn a screwdriver with your ears??????:think::think::think::think::think::think::think::think:

I know mine is due when the right hand grip starts to vibrate and put my hand to sleep. When I first got the bike, I could hardly stand the vibration. Put my hand to sleep almost immediately. And this was moving from a '66 Harley FLH! I thought that I knew a thing or two about vibration. The good folks here enlightened me on the carb sync (and how the dealers always seem to get it wrong).

Sooooo would you be bringing that carbtune to the M&E at the end of the month????

And from what I have found so far.... carb sync or no.... lots of 1st gens will be passing any second gen......:Laugh:

OOOH I am going to be in trouble with the other 2nd gen owners.... having both in the garage I am now able to get involved in this. :stickpoke:

Kevin, I will not be bringing my Carbtune Pro to the M&E...because it is a Meet & Eat...not a Maintenance day.

As for "lots" of 1st gens passing "any" second gen...(and I know it was meant in jest)...I truly believe it all depends on the rider. I have no doubt that a 1st gen is a faster bike than a 2nd gen. That is a fact. But...given that most motorcycle riders do not ride their bikes at the maximum speed that the bike is capable of...then I would say that it depends on the rider as to who is faster on which generation of Venture.

Besides...2nd gen Ventures are NOT as fast as RSMTD's. :rotf:

That is what the M in Midnight is for...after midnight, we gonna let it all hang out:cool10:

I do mine with every scheduled maintenance, but it is not really needed that often. If it hasn't been done in a while I'd certainly do it now. And also be sure the bike is pulling 10" Hg at 1,000 RPM ; anything less indicates one or more pilot jets need to be cleaned (assuming compression is good and all cylinders are running right). The lower the vacuum the more dirty your carbs are.

Once you know it is all synced and running good, start occasionally touching the side of your tank lightly with your fingertips while cruising to get used to the normal vibration level. This is most effective when the tank is less than half full. Any increase in vibration indicates the carbs probably need to be synced or something is affecting clean burn in one or more cylinders.

If you get down to the Ruidoso area in southern New Mexico stop by and we can always check things out.

Goose

you can hand set them with them off and use a couple of 1/8" drill bits. put the bit between the butterfly and throttle body of #1 carb and see if the other bit will fit in #2. then do 3&4 and then between #1 and #3 or #4.

if you have a lot of slop in the adjustment you may need to stretch out the springs or get some new ones. or it could be the screws are worn from being adjusted toooo much.

you can tell if it out of sync by the vireration or at a steady speed you can feel the bike surging up and down also.

Anybody just use vacuum Gage's?

i do because that's all i have...i spent a $100 on the motion pro and it was garbage.

i spent $15 and it seems to work "ok".

i want to sync w the vac gages and then check it with a real tool and see how close it is