IGNORED

stinky exhaust

j_berg

I have an 08 rsv with barron bagger slash cut exhaust that I put on last year. One of the guys I ride with says that my exhaust stinks. I do occasionaly get a popping noise when up shifting between gears. I have recently changed the spartk pluggs and the old ones all looked normal. I have had the carbs synched. Any sugestions would be great. Other wise it seems to run great to me. Starts fine and seem to have plenty of power.

thanks

Most often exhaust odor is a direct result of the fuel running through it. Seen this issue many times in cages. Switch stations and experiment with grades, and see if this does not fix the problem. Are you sure he was not just upset that you were ahead of him???Just sayen.

Bill

Rotten egg smell from an engine with catalytic converter is caused by too rich, but this bike does not have one. Without a catalyst the mixture will affect the smell some, but not to the "stink" level. Coolant or oil is the most likely cause for a strange smell.

If you have the AIS plugged you are just polluting the air for all of us for no reason - there is absolutely ZERO benefit to either you or your bike! Good luck getting it figured out.

Goose

D

If you have the AIS plugged you are just polluting the air for all of us for no reason - there is absolutely ZERO benefit to either you or your bike! Good luck getting it figured out.

Goose

Would someone be so kind as to explain what an AIS is? Where is it located and how to clean or unclog?

Thanks

The AIS is Air Induction System. It simply allows fresh air to be sucked into the header pipe to finish burning all the gas before it gets blown out the muffler. It is pretty much the same thing as someone picking up the road apples behind a horse in a parade.

If your bike is not running right, the excess unburned gas can cause popping on deceleration (the fresh air causes an explosion if there is too much gas in the pipe), and some folks just don't care or don't believe that there is something wrong with their bike, so they prefer to disconnect the AIS to just hide the problem instead of fixing. the bike.

I want to stress that this bike in stock condition will NOT pop on deceleration unless something is wrong with it.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

The AIS is Air Induction System. It simply allows fresh air to be sucked into the header pipe to finish burning all the gas before it gets blown out the muffler. It is pretty much the same thing as someone picking up the road apples behind a horse in a parade.

If your bike is not running right, the excess unburned gas can cause popping on deceleration (the fresh air causes an explosion if there is too much gas in the pipe), and some folks just don't care or don't believe that there is something wrong with their bike, so they prefer to disconnect the AIS to just hide the problem instead of fixing. the bike.

I want to stress that this bike in stock condition will NOT pop on deceleration unless something is wrong with it.

Goose

Do you mean if its been modified and plugged or is it possible for it to get plugged (dirty).

How do I tell if it is plugged and if so how do I go about unplugging it.

Edited by j_berg

It never gets plugged on its own- plugging is how you disable the AIS.

There are two AIS valves that control when air is allowed into the headers. The valve for the rear cylinders is near the frame behind your right foot, and the front valve is behind the radiator. They are controlled by the two vacuum lines connected to the intake boots. The first clue that someone has mucked with your AIS is if those vacuum lines have been removed and there are caps on all four nipples. Beyond removing the vacuum lines, the intake hose to the valve will be plugged with a stopper, or the valve completely removed.

Goose