IGNORED

Computer Help

Freebird

I received an email from Paul Meyers "Newman" asking if a "computer help" topic area would be useful. This was actually also suggested long ago. At the time, I kind of thought that there were enough computer site helps out there and never did anything. The truth is though, we do get quiet a few computer questions here. It's just natural that when you have a club that communicates via a website that computer questions will come up. Whether related to the way something works here or computers in general.

We already had an area dedicated to "Tips for using the forum" so I've simply expanded that title to include computer help in general. Paul has offered to help with the questions posted there and I know that we have several other members here who are very good (some even do it for a living) that will jump in and help when needed. With such a great base of knowledge here and people who are willing to help, we may as well do what we can to help each other.

So, that topic has been renamed "Computer help and tips for using our site" or something like that. Near the bottom of the main forum page. We get the questions anyway, usually in the Watering Hole, so why not start taking advantage of the area set aside for such things. I'm sure that we can all learn from it.

Computer terminology .... "boot" is a commonly known word. There are 3 ways to "boot" the computer...

Cold Boot ... this means starting it from a power off state.

Warm Boot ... this means doing a "restart" from an already running state.

Physical Boot ... this means KICK THE CRAP outta it when nothin else works.

Hey SilverT,

I love your "boot" methods.....I administer about 25 pc's at our dealership and there's alot of days (more often than not) that I want to do the "boot the crap" out of them method.

Thanks for the insight, gave me a good laugh.

Uploading/re-sizing Pics always seems to come up. Saw one posted today.

Ought to have a separate section devoted to: making VISTA work. :smash2:

Also, it's ok if 'squidley' thinks he's 'pretty', everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Hey SilverT,

I love your "boot" methods.....I administer about 25 pc's at our dealership and there's alot of days (more often than not) that I want to do the "boot the crap" out of them method.

Thanks for the insight, gave me a good laugh.

Newman, glad you got a chuckle outta that ... I'm right there with ya ... but more often than not, it's the users I'd like to do the physical boot to LOL. At the present time, I administer and support a small network of just under 100 users and 5 servers running Win2003 enterprise. This group isn't too bad but over the years there's been quite a few folks I'd liked to have said something like.."you're too stupid to own a computer...take it back"... but ya can't do that...just gotta have a lot of patience. It's no wonder I'm bald today tho LOL

Ought to have a separate section devoted to: making VISTA work. :smash2:

HA! ... there is one...and only ONE method necessary for that! ...

DUMP IT... and put something else on... anything...windows 3.1 even LOL

(exception... DO NOT put Windows Millenium on ... it's about parallel with Vista ...arrrgghhhhh)