IGNORED

Another Hannigan idea?

alwrmcusn

Ok, now that we have a fix for the Hannigan trunk lock (and at a VERY reasonable price), I think we need a replacement for the clunky auxiliary gas tank cap. There are some really good fabricators on the website (I ain't one of 'em :crying:).

I use a flip top style gas cap on my auxiliary tank builds. http://www.google.com/search?q=Flip+top+gas+caps&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS464US464&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aHtdUdeRNpS24AO-pIGYBA&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=524

How is the cap and fill neck attached on the Hannigan aux tanks? That info will determine which way to go in looking for an alternative cap. Pics would be helpful too.

Research marine fill caps as well. Maybe you'll find a replaceable cap to your liking that way. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Ok, now that we have a fix for the Hannigan trunk lock (and at a VERY reasonable price), I think we need a replacement for the clunky auxiliary gas tank cap. There are some really good fabricators on the website (I ain't one of 'em :crying:).

What he said. Did the trunk lock,next the gas cap.

Bob

I have been very happy with Larry's Gas Cap. and it is PURRDY as well. :thumbsup2:

I don't think I would see a problem of switching them out.. But I tell ya what

I will stay out of this one :rasberry: not gunna end up like the trunk lock ordeal :whistling:

Did I ever tell you how much I love Carbon-One's AUX Tank? :bighug:

And the fill cap is on the correct side :)

Edited by Cougar

I use a flip top style gas cap on my auxiliary tank builds. http://www.google.com/search?q=Flip+top+gas+caps&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS464US464&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=aHtdUdeRNpS24AO-pIGYBA&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=524

How is the cap and fill neck attached on the Hannigan aux tanks? That info will determine which way to go in looking for an alternative cap. Pics would be helpful too.

Research marine fill caps as well. Maybe you'll find a replaceable cap to your liking that way. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Kowabunga Dude! I had NO IDEA there were that many varieties!! I do like your flip top. Will it fit? Don't know.

Corbin_One,

Are you going to adapt your tank to work with the new reverse hannigan has started to offer?

Oh and when i was under one in daytona looking at the reverse the gas cap hooks to a small piece of hose that hooks to the tank. I would say a 1.5 or 2 in. I am not sure since i dont have one to double check size.

Corbin_One,

Are you going to adapt your tank to work with the new reverse hannigan has started to offer?

Oh and when i was under one in daytona looking at the reverse the gas cap hooks to a small piece of hose that hooks to the tank. I would say a 1.5 or 2 in. I am not sure since i dont have one to double check size.

If I may, There's no need to adapt Larry's tank, it will work with the Hannigan reverse setup.

I have his tank and I can install the reverse from Hannigan

no new tank or mods from what Larry is saying.

His tank is pretty much out of the way.

Did I ever tell anybody how much I love his new aux tank system? :scratchchin:

Kid my tank system will work with any of the Hannigan conversions and their optional equipment as the other guys are saying. I did have to cut off a small bracket on the left side of the frame on my bike thou. It was for mounting the fuel pump they use. I don't think all of the conversions have that bracket either. I know Ragtops didn't and as far as I know no one else has mentioned it having to be cut off . So I'm guessing only the newer conversions will have that bracket or maybe only those that requested an aux tank in their build sheet.

Larry

I don't know if these will help or not, but here they are.

Edit addition: I just did a search for "SEADOG" and find that they are a supplier of marine equipment. This filler/cap is on the website and they may have a more useful screw-in cap. I'm going to be doing a closer look at their website.

Edit addition: I think that basically the part I would need would be their item number 357090-1. It is a nylon cap with a pop-up to enable easier removal of the cap. They also come in different colors. However their website says Wholesale Only.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/alwrmc/Hannigan-Aux-Tank-Filler-1_zps1320323d.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/alwrmc/Hannigan-Aux-Tank-Filler-2_zpsbca99ad4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/alwrmc/Hannigan-Aux-Tank-Filler-3_zps9b47229d.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/alwrmc/Hannigan-Aux-Tank-Filler-4_zps934021f6.jpg

Edited by alwrmcusn
Additional info

Al, The fuel fill we're using should work ok in place of what you pictured as long as the hose size is ok.

I'm getting ready to install the new trunk latch, I sure hope all goes well. I have to open the hole to 1" and drill 2 mounting holes. I made the locking cam last night, just need to cut to length after lock is in. You can see pics of the lock in the "lock thread.

I just ordered the Seadog part nr 357090-1 (the red cap) from

Harbortown Marine

4765 Liberty Ave

Vermilion, OH 44089

440-967-8072

$6.99 (cap)

$7.50 S&H

$14.50 Total

Should be here in about 5-10 days.

I'll repost if it fits and works ok.

This should use the same installation but just replace the screw cap with a color coded one that has a pop up twist off feature.

Seadog has a pop top filler that looks as though it would be an exact replacement but it's about $60.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an addendum: That red cap with the flip up for turning the cap that I ordered. It did indeed look just like the chrome/stainless that is OEM on the Hannigan installation. It is not the same size and will not fit. It is much too small. It's now in my "junk" box.:crying:

I would like to put an auxillary tank on my Motor Trike conversion. Does anyone know of a tank that will fit my Motor Trike. Any pics of tanks where they are installed, size, dimensions, or anyone that can weld up/fabricate a custom tank. All help, constructive ideas, etc. is genuinely appreciated. I already have secured a fuel pump to utilized. I love my 2nd gen. and I love my trike conversion. I like the fit and finish of the Hannigan conversion better than the Motor Trike. The sad reality was I got the last Yamaha conversion done by Motor Trike and Hannigan was not building conversions at the time.:grandpa: