IGNORED

Dragons Tail questions

cabreco

.... Moonshiner 28 from Bryson City down to Franklin is cool too. Just way to many roads. Here is a link to some great roads up that way. Links on left for different areas.

28 to Franklin as mentioned then a different route back north or make the circle going the other way

http://www.stayandplayinthesmokies.com/vendor/wayah-road-franklin-to-nantahala-nc/

Fun to stop off while passing thru Nantahala Gorge and take a break and watch the river rafters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've rode the Dragon a few times and it is WORK!! Last time I met a crotch rocket passing a cage coming out of a turn in the middle of my lane. He held his line and I missed him. He didn't move at all. Proved what a big chicken I am I guess. I thought about running the dumbass down but I couldn't have caught him. This and the Hardley rider we had to listen to at the start of the Dragon made that trip unforgetable. I enjoy the Dragon but there are too many IDIOTS that don't know how to ride anymore and take the fun out of it. Wonder what would have been left of that Big Mouth if he had started something. Several were watching him.

Hey Andy, I ride the Dragon once a year and at first I was intimidated by the video’s, talks, stories, bla, bla, bla, but doing a little research in the beginning and I even went as far as getting the Ride Like a Pro on The Dragon, Deals Gap DVD, it built up some confidence but it was still a rush. My first time down, just took my time, I think it was a Monday so not too many other riders around. We have a few roads up this way like the Dragon, just not as aggressive or switchbacks. Go on a weekday, avoid weekends, too many organ donors. Blue Ridge parkway is a must, also WAYAH Road is a must, actually the whole area is nice, just take your time. I would consider myself a good rider, you have to be one with the RSV. Like I said, I take rip down once a year from Ontario, do my ONE Dragon tail (it’s just bragging rights) and then I set out exploring…enjoy!:080402gudl_prv:

Wife and I live in Lynchburg, VA. Go to NC all the time. You have to do the Dragon once just to say you did it. After that do the Cherohala Pky both ways. NC to TN and return. A must do. Wife and I were there in the area for 6 days in Sept. I think it was are 5-6 visit to the area in the last 8-9 years. Road roads we just never got on before. Route 28 to Highlands, NC was second only to the Cherohala Pkwy. Actually did it twice. Water Falls near Highland, NC are something to see. You can actually ride under Bridle Veil Falls. Twistie roads and mountain views. Great BBQ place going into Highlands. Parking behind the place. GREAT BBQ!

Lodging is up to you. In Robbinsville, NC is a place that a lot of MC folks stay at. Been there twice. Could not get in this past September. Booked with Bikers. San_Ran Motel ( http://www.sanranmotel.com ). Clean, MC Friendly. Price is right. In Stecoah, NC (just over the mountain 30 minutes away), not to far away is Ironhorse MC Lodge ( www.ironhorsenc.com ). Rooms, Cabin, Tenting, ALL MC all of the time. Been there a number of times. We like it a lot. Both are just a hop, skip and jump from everything. If full you can try Sleep Inn at Bryson City, NC not to far away ( http://www.sleepinnbrysoncitync.com/ ). We have stayed there a night or two until something opened up at one of the other places. MC Friendly Place. You wake up to find towels on your bike to dry the dew off. Great Mexican Place to eat in Bryson City also ( Guayabitos Mexican Restaurant) also consider in Bryson City ( Pasqualino's Italian Restaurant), both are very good.

NOTE: Dam used to film "The Fugitive" near Dragon. Falls used to film Last of Mohicians" near Highlands. Rt. 28 is a great road. Hwy 19 through Nanthahala Gorge nearby is good with eating at the lower end. Watch whitewater kayaks/tube folks while you eat lunch.

Wife and I would go back without hesitation. NOTE: I live 30 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway here in Virginia. Wife and I have ridden all of the 400+ miles twice. The section of BRPKWY between Cherokee, NC and Asheville, NC with I think, 10-12 tunnels and getting as high as 6000ft above sea level is the most scenic section without question!. A MUST DO IF YOU GO THERE. You will loose yourself just looking out at hill after hill after hill as far as the eye can see.

GO!

George "Long Tall"

Lynchburg, VA

Edited by Long Tall

You could be right....Kbran and I rode it at 35mph last year and had no problems with the LEO's there.:cool10:

Boomer

It is 30mph and heavily enforced by THP and county on bikes and cars. We rode it last Saturday 30th 15 enforcers on the way over and 12 on the way back sitting in various spots. 37+ years of riding across it, it's just the rode we use to get to North Carolina.

If in the Maggie Valley area run hwy 209 from Lake Junaluska, North Carolina to Hot Springs North Carolina then double back to hwy 63 to Asheville.

http://www.209therattler.com/

I went there last year. There are only two cautions to give you:

1. avoid traveling on it during early morning - locals drive all over the road on weekdays on their way to work
  2. the other caution is traveling on it after a wind storm or heavy rain storm. It was a real challenge with fallen tree limbs & batches of wet leaves

JohnnyB

What do those of you that haul trailers do with them up there? Do you keep them hooked up or do you unhitch & leave them at the hotel? (chained up?)

Are there hotel/motels that accommodate storage?

At both the the motels in Robbinsville and Bryson City, I left it chained up were we were staying. Not a problem at either place. At the Ironhorse MC Lodge we just left it next to the cabin unchained. In their main hall I saw at least 15-20 cell phones plugged in for the night for those camping. No one bothers anything. Next morning for Breakfast everyones stuff still there. VERY NICE PLACE IF YOU CAN GET IN> NEED TO MAKE RESERVATIONS EARLY...BEEN GOING THERE FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS...

Long Tall...

Well we try to go there about 3 times a year. We are from central In and usually make it to Knoxville Tn the first day. The do the Dragon about 10 or 11 am 2nd day,stay at the Microtel Inn in Robbinsville Nc or stay at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Inn in Steocah nc.Both are great places to stay,but the Iron Horse is out in the boonies,so be sure to place your breakfast and dinner order the day before! Another ride we like is the Moonshine highway ( highway 28 ) very ,very great riding roads. But I really haven't found a road that wasn't ! Oh I would only do the Dragon on the weekday as stated before . :fingers-crossed-emo Happy riding and be safe.

What do those of you that haul trailers do with them up there? Do you keep them hooked up or do you unhitch & leave them at the hotel? (chained up?)

Are there hotel/motels that accommodate storage?

You can just chain it up at the motel. We towed ours through the Moonshiner 28 to Georgia, spent the night and towed it all the following day. Your not going to be zipping through the corners fast on a Venture anyways. But if your going to stay at the same motel at the end of the day, just leave it there.

All the talk of riding this and riding that made me itch to ride. Took about a 350 mi ride today, basically a big circle going up to Blue Ridge GA cutting up to to Murphy NC then 74 thru Andrews to Nantahala Gorge, stopped for few min at the river then Wayha Rd. to Franklin NC. Road was in pretty good shape, patches of small sand/gravel here and there I guess from deicing road over winter, then back on 64 E where we dropped down thru Hiawassi GA on to Helen then Dahlonaga for some BBQ and the slab back to the house. Weather was great, trees have yet to leaf out so views were great. Good ride.:thumbsup2:

Edited by meach

• 1 month later...

Well we took all of the info posted here and scheduled a trip for the long 4th of July weekend. Rented a nice cabin in Smoky Mountains

http://imagesus.homeaway.com/mda01/a9d0a5ba-d833-4b95-ae6b-d64ccd384b91.1.10

and I'm in the process of mapping out riding routes around the area.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

The Dragon is a piece of cake, just a few curves back to back. Nothing to get concerned about. We all have saw 15 - 20 mph curves before, and a curve can only go around so far before it becomes a turn-about. Its about like the roads all over West Virginia. Just my 2 cents...:2cents:

I want to go back to mention of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

You will not find a more impressive and well maintained sky road east of the Rockies.

Take it from Cherokee, NC to the Pisgah Inn, 20 miles below Asheville. That's probably 60-70 miles and you get unbelievable vistas constantly. Above Asheville is pretty but the trees are grown over for the watershed and you don't have the view but a few places.

The road is in good shape with about 10 tunnels (watch for bicycles there).

And constant sweeping turns. Speed limit is mostly 45 and that is just fine to enjoy it.

A few turns take you down to 30-35 but they are not hard. No switchbacks.

Eat at the Pisgah Inn, great view and better food.

Then,,,, a mile or two north of Pisgah Inn, take Hwy 151 DOWN (serious turns) to go through Waynesville, to Maggie. Go see the Wheels of Time Motorcycle Museum (everything runs).

Then continue 19 back to Cherokee or catch the Parkway again back.

Mike G.

I just did the 'Dragon' at a spirited pace and except for the 2 off-camber

curves in its middle, it was a great ride. Like all roads ridden for the first

time, your first time through should be done with caution and treated as a

learning experience. As an old road-racer, this M.O. has kept me upright

for over 45 years.

I spent the night in Marysville that night before heading North thru Virginia.

Route #58 from Abingdon to Galax is a ride not to be missed. I actually enjoyed

its challenges more than the 'Dragon.' It was constant twists and curves for

almost 55 miles.

Ride safe !

Kurt

I want to go back to mention of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

You will not find a more impressive and well maintained sky road east of the Rockies.

Take it from Cherokee, NC to the Pisgah Inn, 20 miles below Asheville. That's probably 60-70 miles and you get unbelievable vistas constantly. Above Asheville is pretty but the trees are grown over for the watershed and you don't have the view but a few places.

The road is in good shape with about 10 tunnels (watch for bicycles there).

And constant sweeping turns. Speed limit is mostly 45 and that is just fine to enjoy it.

A few turns take you down to 30-35 but they are not hard. No switchbacks.

Eat at the Pisgah Inn, great view and better food.

Then,,,, a mile or two north of Pisgah Inn, take Hwy 151 DOWN (serious turns) to go through Waynesville, to Maggie. Go see the Wheels of Time Motorcycle Museum (everything runs).

Then continue 19 back to Cherokee or catch the Parkway again back.

Mike G.

Great route there. or on up to Little Switzerland and down 226A.

We do the Blue Ridge to 276 to Brevard eat at Hawg Wild BBQ then 64 west to 215 north to Canton or Waynesville. There is such a great selection of roads in the area. We only do the dragon to short cut to NC been riding it over 35 years when it was a ole ESSO station and Crafton's motel and cafe from the 70's.

I live off of The Devil's Triangle aka hwy 116 just another TN back road.

http://www.devilstriangletn.com/

1. New Tires

2. Oil Changed

3. Brake fluid changed

4. New Cable Lock purchased

5. New Road toolkit

6. New Tour Bag Luggage bought

7. All accommodations made

8. New Motorcycle Alarm installed

...ALL SET FOR DRAGONS TAIL 4th OF JULY!

:cool10:

So Skid, why do you keep coming back, it cant be about the people you meet at Vogel........:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The Dragon is a piece of cake, just a few curves back to back. Nothing to get concerned about. We all have saw 15 - 20 mph curves before, and a curve can only go around so far before it becomes a turn-about. Its about like the roads all over West Virginia. Just my 2 cents...:2cents:

The Dragon ain't nothing but a tame lizard.....

Be really careful. ESPECIALLY on the 4th of July weekend. Every whana be Kenny Roberts (Valintino Rossi equilivalant for your youngsters)in the world will probably be there trying to set a new worlds record. Lots of othe good roads around them parts if you can make some side trips.