IGNORED

No spark to either rear cylinder

What could cause both rear cylinders to have no spark ? This failure occurred all at once on a 2009 RSV with 9000 + miles on it, is there a common ground wire to both rear cylinder coils? We pulled both spark plug caps and found no corrosion to speak of.

Well it was I who had this failure. :depressed: We've eliminated all of the usual suspects and end back up with a failed TCI unit. Checked the spark plug boots and even swapped fronts to rears. Same results, dead rears. Checked coils and they were very close to specs as well. We have power at the coils on the red/black wire so that pretty much eliminates the cut off relay and kill switch part of the circuit. Which all comes back to the tci having failed.

Fortunately the bike still has warranty left so tomorrow I'll be contacting the local dealers about getting it in the shop. I'll take it to whoever can get it in and out the quickest. I may even end up getting a used unit if its going to be down very long.

Larry

I am getting a couple of adapter cables for an RSV with current Ignitech TCI purchase.

I'm going to use one on my project bike this year.

Other one I would like to find a RSV owner that would like to try an Ignitech.

Should be similar setup to Dyna, but with more options.

Wont be here for a couple of weeks though.

Gary

I am getting a couple of adapter cables for an RSV with current Ignitech TCI purchase.

I'm going to use one on my project bike this year.

Other one I would like to find a RSV owner that would like to try an Ignitech.

Should be similar setup to Dyna, but with more options.

Wont be here for a couple of weeks though.

Gary

Gary, what benefits could I expect to see if I were to try your TCI ? I'd want to install it on my wife's trike for added power while towing. How difficult would setting it up be ?

Gary, what benefits could I expect to see if I were to try your TCI ? I'd want to install it on my wife's trike for added power while towing. How difficult would setting it up be ?

It should be unhooking 3 existing connectors. Then plugging harness ends into Ignitech adapter cable. I have two RSV connector sets on order.

Have not done this before. I have discussed using TCI on RSV with Ignitech and I have a setup that should work. Just don't have a bike to try it on.

You will loose the error code checks that are built into the stock TCI.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Verdict from the dealer is both rear coils dead. Trying to get Yamaha to replace them under warranty but so far they're refusing to do so because they want a reason for why both would go out at once. The shop hasn't an explanation as to why both would go bad at once so anyone here have any ideas? Looking back thru past posts on this subject it does appear most failures have been with cylinder #3 - right rear.

If we can't find a cause then the repair bill is going to be my problem. :headache:

Larry

Larry I have had both right and left go out..

The set of all 4 is pretty cheap at pinwall. ($29.00)

I can look tonight and send you a couple if

I have any rears left. once removed you

will wonder how they can stay good as ALL

the weather and mess go right into the connections

under there.

Jeff

Also, most of the time the wire in the coil is what goes bad

not the coil itself. but with the coil test bad

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after 4 weeks I picked up the bike tonight from the dealer. It sat for the 1st week before they even looked at it and on the third week ordered new coils. For a while they were trying to tell me Yamaha wouldn't cover them cause they wanted the dealership to say what caused both to fail at once. In the end Yamaha did cover all costs except the extra labor charge the dealership tacked onto the bill. Claiming they had to get under the bike to remove the coils and also due to being triked. That cost me $94 and rather than argue with them any further I bit the bullet and paid the tab just to get the bike back home. :headache: In the end it would of been not only cheaper to buy a pair of used coils but would of saved a whole lot of time too.

At least now its running as it should and all seems to be normal once again. Just in time too as weather is getting favorable here for riding.

Larry

The TCI units and coils seem to be failing with about the same frequency as the ignition switches, and rear shocks. The sad part is Yamaha can and should be able to turn out a better product than this. All Mamayama will do is deny that their are insufficient failures to declare a problem as they have done previously.

The TCI units and coils seem to be failing with about the same frequency as the ignition switches, and rear shocks. The sad part is Yamaha can and should be able to turn out a better product than this. All Mamayama will do is deny that their are insufficient failures to declare a problem as they have done previously.

Totally agree with you there HG. I still have 1 more year left on the warranty of this bike but "if" there's another problem I may just fix it myself and save myself some $$$ and a headache. My previous bike, 05 RSV, had well over 50K on the clock and had never sat foot back into the dealers shop after purchasing it new.

Still it gets frustrating for folks that do have problems and aren't able to do work on them themselves.

Larry