IGNORED

antifreeze leak , waterpump vent tube

fired up the bike for the 10th time this winter and today saw a little bit of antifreeze dripping from small tube out of water pump wth is this all about. seemed to stop after bike warmed up. looks like about 10 drops worth. any suggestions would be helpful.

Out of the vent tube? I wouldn't worry about a few drops. If it was coming from a seal that would be different.

Remember... you have a 2nd Gen NOT a 1st.

Mind you... 1st Gens are used to replacing parts, leaks... old age.

:rasberry:

Ouch. Can't say nothing today. :ignore: Just did my water pump and got the "L" sealed up.

Your not going to like this. I just looked at the water pump diagram, that tube is there to let you know your water pump seal is leaking. You said you started the bike for the tenth time this winter. How cold was it when you ran it? How long did you run it? It maybe leaking when you first fire it up because the seal has contracted due to the cold, then stops leaking when it warms up.

• 3 months later...

Changing out the old water pump for a brand new one is no big deal. Few bolts, new gasket, couple of 0-rings and you're good to go. Don;t forget to inspect that plastic "L" for dings and cracks.

Now..... .rebuilding the old water pump can be frustrating. The mechanical seal is a trick to get seated properly and a few have had poor luck with that. If your old pump had a plastic impeller on it that should be upgraded to a new metal one. ( a brand new one comes with that.)

More than likely you'd be fine. It's an odds thing. Like buying used parts off the net. If you know any history on the donor, like it was running when you go it and didn't pee in the garage it's a good sign.

I can't beat the idea down as I took a chance when I did mine. I'd read all the comments and the problems guys had with rebuilds. I was ready to try doing the rebuild when one of our memebers posted he was parting out his motor and had a pump that had been rebuilt about a year before. There was the history I look for so I grabbed it for about the same price as the parts I needed for the rebuild.

He did a good job. It's still on the bike and bone dry. :thumbsup2: