IGNORED

Idiot Rider!!

Phoneman1981

Not exactly spring riding weather here just yet. 15 degrees when I left home yesterday at 7:15. Left for a nearby town at 8:15. Traveling well known rural two lane highway about 40 miles from home. Running speed limit in my company truck. One Semi following closely wanting to pass. Hugging the center line behind me, blocking my view to the rear. About to meet another oncoming Semi, when out of the blue I hear a set of LOUD pipes. Look over and see a solo rider running at a high rate of speed attempting to overtake the semi and me both. I could not believe it!! I estimate the rider missed my bumper by a foot and the front of the oncoming semi by only inches. It happened so fast I did not even get a plate number. Guess he had a death wish? He never stopped at the next town that I could see. Out of sight in a matter of minutes. Gives all bikers a bad name.

Guess that is to be expected. I have to believe this rider might have been affected by Hypothermia. The nearest town was 40 miles behind us. NO windshield, running 85 mph in temps below 30 degrees. Made a poor choice, could have been really bad for everyone.

i think everyone starts to get the fever to ride this time of year and some of the younger riders don't think about what can happen, pending on road conditions and temps being this cold. they need to slow down and be safe for everyones sake.

i think everyone starts to get the fever to ride this time of year and some of the younger riders don't think about what can happen, pending on road conditions and temps being this cold. they need to slow down and be safe for everyones sake.

Yes because it is us young riders who give bikers bad names. Now if you will excuse me it is time to go pop wheelies and do some burnouts on the MKII. Good thing my insurance just expired and my license was revoked last week for teenage shenanigans.

[sarcasm for those who did not catch it :whistling:]

Well it worked, my adrenaline was flowing. I estimated the rider to be 35-45 years old, riding a late 70's early 80's V twin. Those loud pipes alerted me and I was able to give him a bit of margin, but it was still a very close call. I can still hear the horn from the oncoming semi this morning!!!

You know when the average person drives up on a bad wreck on a straight road on a sunny day with multiple vehicles with debries everywhere and they ask themselves how in the heck could this have happened under these conditions....I always think about Paul Harvey and the rest of the story.

I got a guy here I've ridden with a few times. He pulls that stunt on two lane roads passing me and several cars lined up in front of us with oncoming traffic all in one crack.

The last time he pulled that when I caught up to him and stopped I explained the next time he pulled that I'd put a bullet in him myself to save a bunch of other folks the misery he would cause someday. He don't get it. He thinks he's cool doing it.

Not invited to ride with me anymore. I ain't scraping him up, or telling his family how he bit it.

Last spring here in my area I think we had 6 riders die (single vehicle accidents) in the first month the roads were clear. Might be a record season this year. I hope not.

I ride a lot, and put on miles. Every yr a group of use get together in Feb. or Mar. on a good weekend and do some rider skill work in a parking lot somewhere. Then we go to a mid afternoon lunch and talk about what we did. It helps just to refresh your mind even though we ride year round, when it's above 40 degrees. This yr 10 of us went and re-took the advanced ride course. Every yr even when i wasn't riding with a group, I would go somewhere just to practice turns, slow and hi speed, stopping, swerving, using paper cups with a little sand in them as cones. I think we sometimes feel like we been riding for ever and don't need practice and that might be true for a lot, but it is actually fun to go and just play and practice in an open church parking lot or othe suitible place.

Try it and have some fun, get a couple friends and it can be enjoyable.

On my first "real" MC I made a pass like that. Not as close, but too close. My Magna 500cc, sort a ran out of top end as I was passing this semi at about 80mph. I swear he was speeding up on me. Had to pull in right on his front bumper at about 85mph to get out of the semi coming the other way. Pucker factor was high. If I was on my 88 Venture I would have blasted past that *@....:shock3: