IGNORED

router recomendtations

I do some online racing in a league. The last couple weeks I have had som ebad warp issues. So I did a speed teat and my service I'm paying for @ 12mbps runs like 6.3-6.7 maybe as good as 9 once in awhile. So cable company sent a fellow out, changed thier modem and a couple other tweaks. Its better but still under 9. If I go direct modem to PC it runs 12 or better. So best guess it router is slowing it down. We have also had problems with the wireless part of it, almost every day you have to reboot router to get any wireless device to connect. It like the signal fads and drops.

The 2 routers I have seen I seem to like are Asus rtn53 and a rtn56u. Kind of pricy dudes but good speed. Biggest difference is one has USB connection for a printer. Right now my printer is connected to the other desk top. If I get this router can I connect it to the router and then print from say your cell phone pic without much hassle? They are about $50 difference and unless there is a huge advantage to the USB connection I think the rtn53 would work good. Any help is appreciated.

The router issue will not release you from the problem of lack of bandwidth from your ISP.

Yes, you can use the one with the USB to attach the printer, and all you need to do to print on it is know the IP of the printer. From that you should be able to print from any device once you have the printer defined on the device.

Also, you need to remember that each ISP will only warranty the speed from your connection to their NOC (Network Operation Center). If they don't have enough bandwidth to access a bigger carrier, you highly possible will never has such bandwidth to access the internet.

Sorry, but this is the real true on the network business.

Regards,

Carlos

Yup used the speedtest.net. Without router it gives me 12mbps and sometimes even better. Put the router inline and its cut in half or more. I have a d-link dir-615 now. I'm thinking for the $50 extra they can keep the usb. I aint had it so I dont know what I'm missing, ya know?

Guest tx2sturgis

It COULD be the wifi card in your laptop (or desktop)...so do a test with another computer or tablet...something that can run a speedtest....just to make sure.

Since its hitting 12 on a direct connect, that seems to indicate the modem to central office speed is ok.

Also, depending on which wifi bands and channels are in use, you might be getting some interference from either your own or the neighbors wireless devices...especially if you see frequent dropouts.

Go into the admin settings on your router and change the wifi channel, see if that helps. You may have to change it a couple times.

BTW...one of the best wifi routers on the market is the Apple Airport...they work well.

https://www.apple.com/wifi/

:happy34:

Not using the WIFI part of PC. When doing the speed test it is hard wired to modem. R45 cable I think is what it is

RJ45 to be exact. You should be using Cat5 RJ45 minimum.

The reason maybe your dropping speed thru the router is you're probably getting 1Gb connectivity direct PC to Modem and the router maybe only good for 100Mb.

Just a thought.

the speed is limited by the slowest component connected in your path, change out the wire and try that first. If not look at the card on your computer and see what it's capabilities are with relation to speed. A firmware update may help or a new card or new computer.

RJ45 to be exact. You should be using Cat5 RJ45 minimum.

The reason maybe your dropping speed thru the router is you're probably getting 1Gb connectivity direct PC to Modem and the router maybe only good for 100Mb.

Just a thought.

I don't think that the ISP will provide with any modem with 1 Gbps. Those are a rare device, except for the cable business class.

No, that is not the case. If the router is able to do 1000Mbps (I doubt it), then passing from 1000 to 100 will not be the issue. And less if the speed is allways 12 Mbps.

You should have long way to go. Something is wrong set on that router.

On the WAN side, you should check if you have it for 100 Mbps Full Duplex. And not AUTO.

On the LAN side the same. Just be sure you 're forcing everything to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. That is also valid for your PC.

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

that router specs are 300mbps, try unplugging everything except your computer, turn the wifi off and restart it and test again. If it doesn't improve you should check your settings and check for a firmware update. if that doesn't fix it and you know you have good cables try to reset it to factory specs to see if that fix's it.

Win XP I thought I put that in there. Reset router to 100mbps. It was on 10/100 auto. I looked all over in the wireless settings and never saw anyplace to reset or change connection. Dont look like it did a whole lot. Just ran a test 3 times. Best was a 9.83 download and .99 upload. Shoot before the upload was 1.94

Edited by djh3

I think that we're missing the point here:

When you 're connected straight to the modem and got the 12 Mbps:

What is the settings on your PC Network Card? I know that is 100 Mbps, but is set to auto, or 100 Mbps Full Duplex?

You need to check this on your NIC properties.

It has to be higher than 10 Mbps since if not you shouldn't be able to receive 12 Mbps.

The question is you need to be sure of this setting, since that will be the setting you need to have on your D-Link router on the WAN port. The LAN port should be setting to 100 Mbps, Full Duplex.

I guess I'm blind and cant see it. I open device mgr and open the network adapters which shows my ethernet card. But none of the tabs when opened show me anything about the speed or a setting of 100mbps. In network connections>local area connection it shows speed of 100.0.

If you go to properties of the NIC, the you can see the settings:

They can be:

10 Mbps Full Duplex

10 Mbps Half Duplex

100 Mbps Full Duplex

100 Mbps Half Duplex

Auto

Be sure you are in 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

IF that is the case when you have full speed, then you need to force your D-Link router to 100 Mbps Full Duplex on the WAN port.

I just pulled the router out of the loop. Direct cable modem to my PC. Speedtest thru the comcast site and get a 16.8mbps download and 4.21 upload so to me sounds like router.

I have opened ever tab I can find to do with the NIC card and dont find anywhere to adjust said properties.

I just pulled the router out of the loop. Direct cable modem to my PC. Speedtest thru the comcast site and get a 16.8mbps download and 4.21 upload so to me sounds like router.

I have opened ever tab I can find to do with the NIC card and dont find anywhere to adjust said properties.

You're in the right place... go to the Advanced tab.

[ATTACH]74977[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74979[/ATTACH]