IGNORED

Cold weather water proof gloves.....

Snaggletooth

I just noticed this on the Webbike World listings on the right side of the main screen.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/sliders-cold-pro-kevlar-waterproof-gloves/

Anyone familiar with these gloves or tried them? I've become quite disgruntled with the available market for cold/waterproof gloves over the years. None seem to perform any where near what I expect them to. I've tried some rather pricey ones, but won't spend over $100.00 hoping for a decent product.

The write up sounds rather impressive but most do until you put them to the test.

Just curious if anyone here has tried them.

Mike

Mike, after reading your post about the above listed gloves, it "forced me" to go outside to my motorcycle garage, and retrieve a pair of gloves I have been using for a long time.

I have nothing good or bad to say about the gloves you posted above...other than...personally I would not want the hard carbon fiber looking guards on the knuckle areas, as it would not allow me to flex and grasp with the freedom I am used to. Those glove may be great, but I don't know.

What I want to share with you is the info on the waterproof gloves that I use. Since most of my bikes have heated grips on them, I usually am not using heat gloves, although I do own two brand new pairs of Gerbings heated gloves. I will use those heated gloves sometime this year, but until then...and for many years in the past, I have been using a pair of: Cycloak...waterproof gloves, that have the name...Gore-Tex embroidered on the index finger of each glove, and the name...Kevlar embroidered on the wrist strap that is a velcro-enclosure for the wrist.

Like you, I have tried many pairs of gloves over the years. I have spent a lot of $$$$ on gloves, only to find that they do not work. This pair...WORKS. After many, many, many years of riding many, many, many miles, these waterproof gloves are still 100 % waterproof, and are very comfortable. They are not too bulky, allow you to have good grip feel, are easy to get on or off, and I would buy another pair in a second...if I had the need to.

See if you can find these in a search. I will try too, and post back here if I can find them. I don't even know if they still make them, but they are real good, and...most likely well under $ 100.00.

Here is a pair of the exact gloves listed on e-bay, for $ 22.00 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycloak-GT-Pro-Glove-Small-/280420400526

Here is another listing for them, on another vendor site, with size selection:http://www.priceleap.com/compare-prices/Cycloak_GT_Pro_Gloves--4863210

:backinmyday:

Edited by Miles

Mike I have a pair of tourmaster wet weather gloves. I think they are tourmasters anyways. Suposed to be a "cool" rather than cold weather glove I would say. They have some insulation but if its in the 40's and you ride 2hr or so my hands are cold. They are the rayon type stuff tops and bottoms. This ocasionaly presents a problem as you hand slips on the grips and once in awhile it gives me fits on the clutch. The ones your looking at there look OK to me. Only thing I see missing you might want in a wet weather glove is the visor squegee thing on the thumb.

I ride year round in what is referred to as "The Pacific Northwest" It is often cold as in 35F or so and it is more often than not at this time of year wet to some extent. I do not own a pair of "winter" gloves that cost less than $100.00. I do have heated grips on my V-Strom but not on my Venture. Not a big fan of heated grips anyway, I have one pair of $100 gloves that are more like snowmobile gloves that NEVER soak through and for the most part keep my hands warm when the weather is crappy. They have to "safety" protection like knuckles or palm pads and generally are crappy to wear but they serve the purpose when weather is real bad. I keep them in glove box or under the seat in case I need them. My "GOOD" gloves are Alpine Star brand, not sure of style. They keep my hands warm on short to medium length rides but after a few highway hours I feel the cold in the fingers. But they are only good for a short time in the rain before they get soaked through and I treat them with the same Alpine Star weather proofing cream I protect my boots with.

If you need good weather resistant gloves you may want to look more toward the snowmobile products that the motorcycle products. They do not offer the safety aspect of a motorcycle but will keep you warm. A fellow I know Paul "The IceMan" Mondor (

) mostly uses snow mobile gear to survive his rides.

Ok folks' some good suggestions so far.

I've been through several types and brands. I started out with a pair of Olympias I think they were. Supposed to be wind proof and water resistant. Not very good at anything other and than making my hands sweat. Then the liners would pull out of the fingers. The dealer here replaced them three times with what was claimed to be "Improved" models. Yup. Sure. They shed off water ok for an hour or so but not "proof" for sure. And no good before 40 degrees.

I started using snowmobile gloves. Warm for a while, and stayed dry but the bulkyness was a drag. Better quality might make a difference.

Oddly enough I found a really nice glove at WW. A Wells Lamont waterproof and thinsulate liner. Not too bulky and they did stay dry for a long time. Kept the fingers warm to down into the low teens. Sadly the weak spot was the palm was so slick it was hard to keep a grip. Maybe some traction tape on the palms?

So I will look into some of these and see what happens. Have some road tripping coming up soon and I don't want to have my hands be my weak spot. I don't have the heated grips so it's all up to the glove doing the job.

Thanks for the imput.

Mike

Mike unfortunatly I could not recomend the ones I have. Not bad for Fla but really how cold we get here they are mediocar at best. Also in heavy rain I swear I have more water sometimes on the inside than if I rode bare handed. I'll look up the make here when I get a chance. I have in the past carried a couple pairs of the blue nirtle gloves in the saddlebag and put them on in the cold then another pair of gloves and it seems to seal out the cold better. Good luck on your hunt.

I am wearing my hunting gloves for riding in the rain or cold.

I have a pair, blaze orange, waterproof insulated but still with enough feel to be able to feel the trigger and safety on my rifle.

I wore these last summer for my trip to MD.

It was 35 and raining when I left the house at 3AM, and it rained till the last 5 miles getting to Dons. I stayed warm and Dry for the whole 9 hour trip.

The gloves are from Gander Mountain and have the Tech H²O Logo. I wear them riding down to 20°F. I do not have heated anything.

I have used them while sterilizing rocks in boiling water (don't ask:whistling:) I had to reach into the boiling water to get the rocks out, my hands stayed cool and dry. I must admit I was a little nervous the first time my hands went in there.:225:

I wear my Gordini ski gloves. they are Gortex and the liner on the pair I have are fleece. My hands stay warm and dry whether I'm skiing (snow) or riding either of my bkes. If you Google them, you can find a gauntlet pair for about $50-$60. Hope this helps.