IGNORED

Front Tire Mileage expected?

First_N_Last

I'm collecting info again. This quest for information is primarily for Trike front tires, but other users info would be appreciated.

My effort is to collect some data & hopefully share that info with MC tire manufacturers.

Then maybe we get some tires made for our heavy RSV, RSTD & Goldwing bikes that will last.

I definitely want a tire that will last at least one full high mileage touring season or two good long trip seasons.

Having to worry about tire tread when on a multi-state touring trip is NOT FUN.

If you are willing please comment in this thread & give as much info as you can regarding these questions:

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? (Yes/No)
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? (Yes/No)
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? (Year/Manuf/Model/Trike)
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? (Total Miles or range)
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? (Total Years)

That's it... If you care to share, thanks. Maybe we can get a manufacturer to address the wants of heavy weight cruisers & Trikes.

My info Will follow....

This is the Template for gathering Front Tire Information'

Just do a REPLY/QUOTE to this & enter the Info/Data:

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? (Yes/No)
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? (Yes/No)
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? (Year/Manuf/Model/Trike)
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? (Total Miles or range)
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? (Total Years)

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? YES
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? YES
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? 2002 RSV Hannigan Trike
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? 25000 - 30000 miles
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? 2 1/2 - 3 years

John Bauer

Richmond, VA

[*]Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? Yes ......

[*]Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? Yes .....

[*]What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe .....

[*]How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? 22,000 - 25,000 ......

[*]How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? Three yrs.....

I have found the Avon Venoms to suit me best in a tread design to handle wet conditions and also to handle any road condition very well. But I do wished they last longer, and would pay a little more to save the hassle of changing tires and the chances of marring the wheels and the unnecessary wear of taking everything off so often.

James D. Fultz :thumbsup2:

Olive Hill, KY

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? No
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? No
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? '99 RSV
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? 24000
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last?

NOTE: For a front tire as this thread is addressing, I am pretty much getting all of these things with the Avon Venom and previously the Michelin Commander.

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? No
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? No
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? '99 RSV
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? 24000
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last?

NOTE: For a front tire as this thread is addressing, I am pretty much getting all of these things with the Avon Venom and previously the Michelin Commander.

yep - but maybe they will be listed as universal tires (front or rear) & actually show up in searches as a tire for the RSV front... or even a better tire?

Michelin & Avon need to know what we use & expect.

Thanks to those who gave some info & to those who still will.

JohnB

Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? (a little)

Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? (slightly)

What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? (08 Yamaha Venture Trike)

How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? (25-35,000)

How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? (at least 2 seasons)

Must have good wet traction.

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? YES
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? NO
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? 2003 Yamaha venture
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? Over 15k
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? No less then 2-3 years

I don't ride enough like some of y'all to compare contrast. I just go with what I have had and use currently

I have Michelin commanders on my Vulcan and would buy those hands down, if they made them again. Never give me grief in hot , cold, rain or snow. Will try the commander II.

I hear Avon venoms are excellent in wet weather, but haven't found out myself just yet .

This will be so Different if this is asking about two wheels or 3 wheels though. :scratchchin:

Two wheeler will roll on the tread and 3 will scrape side to side . kinda like asking how long will the tire last on the rear of the 3 wheeler then the two wheeler. :detective:

car tires are on the rear and will last about 30K or more.

1. Will you tolerate some tire noise to obtain longer tire mileage/life? Yes
  2. Will you tolerate harder steering to obtain longer tire mileage/life? Why would that make a difference in tire mileage/life??
  3. What motorcycle or motorcycle trike are you riding? 2009 RSV with Hannigan kit
  4. How many miles do you want a good front tire to last? 20K
  5. How many years at most do you expect a front tire to last? 3-5 years

Seeing as this is the trike forum, here's my results so far. First year, Dunlop D404 lasted the season then was shotski. Lots of front end oscillation as the tire wore. Last spring had a Dunlop E3 rear tire mounted backwards on the front. Still has plenty of life left and expect to get most of the coming season out of it. That being said I'm looking for a car tire to fit the front. I would love to have one last 30,000 to 40,000 miles. Yes, I would tolerate some extra road noise for better mileage. No, I will not tolerate any compreomise in steering. I have an '09 Hannigan RSV. How many years at the above stated mileage?? Well being retired now I could do that in a year or two...