IGNORED

Anyone ride a RSV on I-40 from NC through smoky mountains to TN?

Barrycuda

Been thinking of taking the venture out of Florida for a few days March 1-5. Day one in SC and was considering day 2 or 3 taking I 40 west through smoky mountains. I have never rode a bike through there and wanted some honest feedback as to how easy/ hard it is to do, regarding slippery roads, weather issues, handling with venture etc. I appreciate all input that has beneficial information. ( what to bring, where to stop for fuel, best time to ride through, weather etc )

Barry,

I-40,, um, it's interstate. Now, I will say that it has more lean and curves than any part of Florida,, for sure. But, still two lanes and between the NC to TN area the trucks stay to the right. So, you will ride the center wall.

But,, everywhere around there is Primo riding. Forget 40, get off I-26 below Asheville and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and head west to Cherokee.

Eat lunch at the Pisgah Inn 20 miles into the BRP, great. Then just enjoy the parkway.

March,,, dress warm, you will be at 5000+ feet.

Mike G.

EDIT: um, Just looked. Parkway will have closed sections through April. Why you going in March?

More Edit: Also, I remember a few weeks ago there was a slide on US441 that goes from Gatlinburg to Cherokee. So Hope that is not your return road. Just beaming sunshine huh.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Barry,

I-40,, um, it's interstate. Now, I will say that it has more lean and curves than any part of Florida,, for sure. But, still two lanes and between the NC to TN area the trucks stay to the right. So, you will ride the center wall.

But,, everywhere around there is Primo riding. Forget 40, get off I-26 below Asheville and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway and head west to Cherokee.

Eat lunch at the Pisgah Inn 20 miles into the BRP, great. Then just enjoy the parkway.

Mike G.

EDIT: um, Just looked. Parkway will have closed sections through April. Why you going in March?

Mike:

Heading there in March bc that is the time I have off to do a longer uninterrupted ride. Wasn't there a mudslide down that way not too long ago? I was thinking of entering your state of SC first, then crossing through into Asheville, one of my favorite places...from there who knows. Lately my last 2 planned trips were a bust due to extreme weather so, lets see..:fingers-crossed-emo

any where on 40 in Nc is an easy ride............its all interstate and as already stated most of the big rigs stay to the right. Im in NC closer to greensboro/ralieh / durham area. Asheville has a lot of great rides and the blue ridge is great with a few twisties( very few in my opinion) but a lot of scenery. Last time I rode it it was a 45 mph zone so budget time for it.

But hey as long as your on 2 wheels who cares about the road or destination its about the time in the wind. Either way be safe and keep the shiny sid eup

David

Barry, I have been through that area several times on a motorcycle and I feel it is not a bad ride, but for me, not necessarily a pleasant ride. I say this because traffic can get a bit tight with some of the trucks going through the curves.

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that it is not uncommon to have snow in March in these mountains. The interstate would be cleaned off, but it can be cool.

Keep us posted on your plans and maybe we can have a meet & eat somewhere.

RandyA

If you are into taking your time there are many great loops to take in that area. I usually satellite out of Maggie Valley and take day rides in whatever direction. Definitely some of the best riding in the country. I personally would get off the four lane and see the area. My :2cents:

Mike G.

More Edit: Also, I remember a few weeks ago there was a slide on US441 that goes from Gatlinburg to Cherokee. So Hope that is not your return road. Just beaming sunshine huh.

Yeah, I just checked a couple of nights ago and 441 is still closed, with no estimation of when it will reopen. I'm guessing that they will get it open pretty quick though, since that's the main tourist route. The Cherohala Skyway has reopened with one lane at the slide on it. Either of those routes, and I-40, can have snow til late March, the first time the wife and I rode the Cherohala it was late April and there was still ice on the rock walls, brrrrr. You can also catch the Foothills Pkwy off I-40, then take 321 into Gatlinburg, that's a nice ride too.

+1 on the Cherohala Skyway, BPW, and there is a " Waterfall loop" in NC I think rt. 64 ?? Several waterfalls to see[ATTACH]73883[/ATTACH]

YES!! Dry Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Looking Glass Falls, all a beautiful ride. It's actually Hwy 28, south from Hwy 19/74 at Lauada, to Franklin, and on down to Cashiers. I've been riding that area for about the last 10 years and have never found a bad road.

As stated, I40 is a pretty ride but it can get crowded especially on the curves with the trucks. When I rode it there wasn't much time to look at the scenery because you had to concentrate on traffic. There are lots of less traveled roads in that area to ride including the BRP although March may not be the best time to ride it. You could always try I40 and get off if you don't like it.

Barry been up that way every year for the last 3 or 4. Usually I come back from Cincinati on I 75 to knoxville area. Then decide if I'm going Cherahola or Dragon, or anothr route. I wouldnt suggest the Dragon that time of year or with being new to the bike. I usually go up I75 to about Macon then get over on 441 I think it is and go up thru Dillard, Franklin up Moonshiner 28 franklin to Bryson City area. could definatly be cool in early mornings and after about 4 pm.

Some excellent ideas and routes from all of you. I guess weather and my ability to say screw it will determine what's going on. Thanks Randy for the invite and will keep you posted, and dhj3 for the route after 'Macon at 441 etc. Yes to Wade about plenty to see, so I will not be just interstate riding. Thanks again and let's see what transpires.

:301:

There was a mud slide in Maggie Valley in January this year. Here's a link

http://www.visitnc.com/ You can get all sorts of visitors info.

The next link is to find out road conditions through the DOT. Since it's gonna be a little while before you make the trip anything can happen up in the mountains before then.

http://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/default.aspx

Margaret

Some excellent ideas and routes from all of you. I guess weather and my ability to say screw it will determine what's going on. Thanks Randy for the invite and will keep you posted, and dhj3 for the route after 'Macon at 441 etc. Yes to Wade about plenty to see, so I will not be just interstate riding. Thanks again and let's see what transpires.

:301:

If you like BBQ there is a place called Fat Buddy's they have 2 locations one in Waynesville and one in Franklin NC the only downside is its hard to ride after eating there:fatsmiley:

If you like BBQ there is a place called Fat Buddy's they have 2 locations one in Waynesville and one in Franklin NC the only downside is its hard to ride after eating there:fatsmiley:

I have a close friend who lives in Waynesville. I am sure he knows about this place and will bring it up to him. Just an FYI... After speaking with all of you and March being to "iffy" weather wise, I am changing my course south and southwest. Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana etc. I love NC and TN so I will make it there. That's a promise.

Weather channel.com said average temp in Mar was 60 for high and 30 something for a low. But with the way the weather has been this winter, who the heck knows. I would take a bet on being above average. You could allways head up that way and once you get to the first night say Franklin or if you go over to your buddy;s place in Wansville see what the weather has to play out. If it looks scetchy head east and south, if looks good your set for the NC deal.

My first time on I 40 was quite intimidating. We have nothing like it in Florida!! Everyone was going way to fast! I took me a while to get use to the curves and the changes in elevation. Like any learning curve once you master it the fun begins. For me it was lowering my speed while I figured out the bike and the skills required. Take your time and be kind to yourself!! Now everyone seems to go way to slow on these here curves!