IGNORED

Where are the ground's?

I Installed new Freeway blasters on my 07 RSV, but they are not operating at full volume. This morning I'm going out to the garage to test for ground resistance. and the voltage supply to the horn's.

My question is, Where are the ground points on my bike? I have been through the factory manual and can not find that info.

Thanks guy's

Ken

I Installed new Freeway blasters on my 07 RSV, but they are not operating at full volume. This morning I'm going out to the garage to test for ground resistance. and the voltage supply to the horn's.

My question is, Where are the ground points on my bike? I have been through the factory manual and can not find that info.

Thanks guy's

Ken

I always ground to the bike frame and everything works. (Thank you, Fairy Godmother. ) How much current do the horns draw? Is the wiring, supply and ground, sized properly for the current draw?

[edit] I see from your profile you are an automotive technician. If you have not already done so, check your supply voltage under load. A high resistance connection will read okay with a DMM, but the volatage at the same test point will low, or zero, under load, depending on the amount of resistance.

I found the issue! there is a black 20 way connector under the tank along the back bone. there are poor connections with-in this connector. I'll have the local dealer address this when I take it in for the 600 mile first service.

I used to work with the service manager in the past where he was a service writer and he knows me, so hopefully the issue will be addressed.

Oh and yes the wiring will hold the load of the new horns. I checked this before I picked them up at NAPA.

In case any one was curious the horn button supplies the ground to the horns and they have constant B+ with the key on.

Voltage drop in the ground circuit showed a 1.34 volt drop (this was at the black 20 way) with the key on and horn's activated. I could get the horns to blast at full volume and get the volt drop to come down to 0.20v by playing with the black 20 way.

If the ground was a snake I'd be dead!! It is on the engine behind the lower left horn. I also ran a second frame ground today.

Ken,

You didn't say how you wired them but I'm guesisng that you may have wired them to replace your stock horns? And if so you may not have used a relay. These horns pull 5 amps and need a heavier hot wire than what is on the bike. Now the bikes wiring may run the horns, but the extra current will fry your horn switch over time. And saying that, our horns are activated by the ground side of the wiring which is controlled by the horn button acting as a switch.

I usually run a 16 guage hot wire as well as the same size wire for the ground (and always with a relay). And if these horns only have one connection, the ground will then be the center bolt coming out of the top cover. Just build a 16 guage wire with an eylet connector to go under the nut on this center post on the horn with the other end attached to a frame bolt. Anywhere on the entire main frame on this bike can be used for ground.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Ken,

You didn't say how you wired them but I'm guessing that you may have wired them to replace your stock horns? And if so you may not have used a relay. These horns pull 5 amps and need a heavier hot wire than what is on the bike. Now the bikes wiring may run the horns, but the extra current will fry your horn switch over time. And saying that, our horns are activated by the ground side of the wiring which is controlled by the horn button acting as a switch.

I usually run a 16 gauge hot wire as well as the same size wire for the ground (and always with a relay). And if these horns only have one connection, the ground will then be the center bolt coming out of the top cover. Just build a 16 gauge wire with an eyelet connector to go under the nut on this center post on the horn with the other end attached to a frame bolt. Anywhere on the entire main frame on this bike can be used for ground.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Rick

I did run new wiring and used a relay, I also ran a second ground from the engine ground behind the right side horn to the frame.

I taped into the pink horn wire the activate the relay to the horns. since there is such a low current draw on this circuit I used a 1/2 ISO relay to help save space. I wired the horns just as you said. It looks as if I'll be investing in the secondary fuse block that I've seen a few other members install. That will make adding/modifying much easier.

Thanks

Ken C.