IGNORED

Car Tire on front - Trikes

First_N_Last

I have now changed to a Trike.

A Trike uses & wears a front tire like a car does.

So... I'm starting to research a replacement for when my Avon AM42 Venom wears out.

A CT would be the best if I can find the right size & quality, otherwise a rear AM42 will go back on.

Has anyone tried or researched this & if so, what did you find?

My checks on some Goldwing sites have yielded these tires/sizes:

• Federal Formosa - 165/70-16
  • Austone Taxi tire - 175/80-16
  • General G Max AS - 195/55-16
  • Dunlop Wintersport 3 Runflat
  • Vredestein - 165/70-16

The Austone tire is talked about a lot.

Any thoughts or comments? Please share...

JohnnyB

Edited by First_N_Last
added another tire

hi johnnyB

so far nothing yet as to finding a c/t that will fit the front rim. i have been looking at the old style classic c/t tires, even found a company in england that makes them. i belive that cooper tire co here in the u.s. also makes the old style c/t but it's the same story nothing so far to fit the front rim. looks like the only choice is 1- to mode the front rim or 2- to have a new rim built and my research shows around a $1000.00 for a new rim. but i'am still looking.

regards

don c.

hi johnnyB

so far nothing yet as to finding a c/t that will fit the front rim. i have been looking at the old style classic c/t tires, even found a company in england that makes them. i belive that cooper tire co here in the u.s. also makes the old style c/t but it's the same story nothing so far to fit the front rim. looks like the only choice is 1- to mode the front rim or 2- to have a new rim built and my research shows around a $1000.00 for a new rim. but i'am still looking.

regards

don c.

Thanks for the info...

so far a reversed AM-42 on the front seems like the only choice for me.

JohnnyB

Thanks to all who commented...

My research has found no car tire that could mount on our RSV 3.5" rim.

I'm not going to modify my wheel/rim - too expensive.

So for anyone who cares, my next front tire for my trike will be -

Avon Venom p/n 90000000778 AM42 160/80B16

Load rating = 80

Speed rating = H

Tread Depth 11/32

...just a little wider (.4") & a little taller (1.1")

My current Avon Venom AM42 150/80B 16 has over 15000 miles on it now.

JohnB

Get signed up over on TrikeTalk.com.He has a raked front end for around 695 for your Yamaha.Lots of good information there too and good folks.

As far as I know there is no C/T that will fit the front end of any bike.There is a company in Holland that makes an Earles type(leading Link) front end for almost anything and it is designed to use a car type tire. It is of course VERY expensive.

I don't know whether the Michelin Pilot Active has a rear tire that will fit the front of the RSV.I am using one on the front of my 1990 Goldwing and I really like it.

Rumor has it that one of the major tire companies is working on a flat cross section front tire for motorcycle trikes.Avon makes a tube type flat cross section tire for sidecar use already so it shouldn't be too hard and there is for sure a rising demand.I know I would go for one if it were available.

Get signed up over on TrikeTalk.com.He has a raked front end for around 695 for your Yamaha.Lots of good information there too and good folks.

/---/

Thanks for the info about TrikeTalk.com

I tried them - paid for a membership - got banned for a week - told them to shove their membership.

To me there seemed to be a lot of "Sleeper" members who pretended to be regular users but are actually affiliated with businesses.

I was being fed incorrect info about Front Forks being normal to slip & slide up from regular driving on bumpy roads.

I repeatedly called the claims false & insisted that real people examples be presented.

Some of the "Sleepers" consistently claimed that "Traumatic Incidents" normally cause

the forks to slip & they should be checked often. Others said nothing - strangely?

No real people examples were ever provided.

I just couldn't let that be.

It went on from there.

The only true consistent source of technical bike info & experience I have found ever,

is this site "VentureRiders".

Now let me say this...

thank you for your suggestion...

others may find value with TrikeTalk...

I didn't. Sorry

:95:

JohnnyB

Now let me say this...

thank you for your suggestion...

others may find value with TrikeTalk...

I didn't. Sorry

:95:

JohnnyB

i found the same with trike talk i was looking for a raked triple tree for my 99 rsv sent heaps of emails and done a number of posts. 3 months later still no answers so i paid the extra and had one made at http://www.customtripletrees.com hopefully it will be here this week . got a set of steering head bearings of earl skydoc_17 i wish everyone was as helpful as earl :backinmyday:

I did have the front end slide on me once when I entered a turn too fast and tight.That was with an E3 rear tire mounted on the front.I am now running a Micheline Pilot Active rear tire on the front and I think it gives me a higher cornoring speed.I do feel more in control with this tire.I wish somebody would make a flat section front tire for trikes.If you have found any C/Ts that will fit on a Goldwing(1500) I would like to know.I have heard of them fitting the rim but not between the forks or under fender.Good luck on your quest.

just been looking on the avon car tire site they have one that is close to the bike tire size the only thing to check would be the square tread in the guard :confused24::fingers-crossed-emo

165r16 - 550R16 AVON TURBOSTEEL ACR6D: CAR TYRE: ROAD: RADIAL: TL

RADIAL

Type: RADIAL

Diameter: 674 mm

Section Width: 165 mm

Max Speed: 130 mph

Max Load: 531 kg

I did have the front end slide on me once when I entered a turn too fast and tight.That was with an E3 rear tire mounted on the front.I am now running a Micheline Pilot Active rear tire on the front and I think it gives me a higher cornoring speed.I do feel more in control with this tire.I wish somebody would make a flat section front tire for trikes.If you have found any C/Ts that will fit on a Goldwing(1500) I would like to know.I have heard of them fitting the rim but not between the forks or under fender.Good luck on your quest.

While researching I found this article from Avon...

----------------------------------------------------

January 21st, 2013 http://www.avonmoto.com/images/cobra_gl-150x150.jpg

STOW, OH – Specially designed for the Honda Gold Wing 1800, the Cobra GL 1800 tires from Avon Motorcycle Tyres are the perfect choice for the rigorous demands of the powerful launches, fast acceleration, hard cornering and hard braking of this powerful bike.

When compared to the stock tires, the Cobra GL 1800 rear tire offers an increased load index of 80 to handle nearly 1,000 pounds. A triple compound, including a longer lasting compound in the center, softer shoulder compound for improved grip and cornering performance, and a third compound underneath,work together to reduce tire temperature and increase mileage. This six-ply tire includes two Aramid belts and a nylon belt to reinforce and stabilize the tire carcass, reduce tire flex under heavier loads, and provide a more comfortable ride. Force Following Grooves transmit energy across the surface of the tire for even wear and longer life.

----------------------------------

JohnB

just been looking on the avon car tire site they have one that is close to the bike tire size the only thing to check would be the square tread in the guard :confused24::fingers-crossed-emo

165r16 - 550R16 AVON TURBOSTEEL ACR6D: CAR TYRE: ROAD: RADIAL: TL

RADIAL

Type: RADIAL

Diameter: 674 mm

Section Width: 165 mm

Max Speed: 130 mph

Max Load: 531 kg

That was interesting info which allowed me to search on 550R16 sizes.

I couldn't locate specs on the Avon 550R16.

But I found some car tire specs which call for a recommended rim width close to our 3.5" RSV.

Here is a little info/specs:

Firestone 550-16 Tire

• The Firestone 550-16 Black Wall Tire has an overall diameter of 27.36 inches. The cross section is 6.26 inches. The tread width is 4.25 inches. The overall load capacity is 840 lbs. at 32 psi. The recommended rim width is between 3.5 inches and 5 inches. The tread depth is 11. The maximum recommended psi is 32. The Firestone 550-16 requires a radial tube.

Firestone 600-16 Tire

• The Firestone 600-16 tire has an overall diameter of 27.91 inches. The cross section is 6.26 inches. The tread width is 4.63 inches. The overall load capacity is 1400 lbs. at 32 psi. The recommended rim width is between 4 inches and 5 inches. The tread depth is 12. The maximum recommended psi is 32. The Firestone 550-16 requires a radial tube.

Edited by First_N_Last

There is paid membership at trike talk? :think:

never have paid yet :confused24:

Anyways as far as your adding a front tire. it wont happen yet

The closes thing I found was a new tire I have for my 1966 Beetle

but to wide.

some company is making a front trike tire this year though.

Like Avon or one of those folks.

Jeff

never have paid yet :confused24:Jeff

Forum is free, but there is a one time fee to join Trike Owners International (TOI), which is not mandatory.

There are many types of trikes and many custom designs. It's best to come to this forum for Venture specific questions.

never have paid yet :confused24:

Anyways as far as your adding a front tire. it wont happen yet

The closes thing I found was a new tire I have for my 1966 Beetle

but to wide.

some company is making a front trike tire this year though.

Like Avon or one of those folks.

Jeff

Look - you'll see a donation link

I always support what I use.

Jeff - what size was the VW tire?

Edited by First_N_Last

I am currently running the Michelin Commander radial tire. This is the second tire I have used, the first was the Michelin Macadam and really did not need to be replaced but I did it anyway. Check with Coker tire they have a lot of unusual sizes, and it seemed to me they had one (CT) that is, but it might have been Cooper now that I think about it. One of these two had one in a radial.

It was the Coker site,

Coker Tire 64308 - Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwall Radial Tires

Representative Image

Product images may differ from actual product appearance.

Coker Tire#257-64308

Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwall Radial Tire

550R16 ( 4.5'' x 26.8'' - 16'' )

$227.99 Ships 02/26/13

Click for JEGS Online Price Match

Accessories

Add to Wish List

Continue Shopping

Complete list of Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwall Radial Tires

It was the Coker site,

Coker Tire 64308 - Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwall Radial Tires

Representative Image

Product images may differ from actual product appearance.

Coker Tire#257-64308

Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwall Radial Tire

550R16 ( 4.5'' x 26.8'' - 16'' )

$227.99 Ships 02/26/13

Click for JEGS Online Price Match

Accessories

Add to Wish List

Continue Shopping

Complete list of Coker Classic Nostalgia Blackwall Radial Tires

Thanks...

Only worry is the rim specs

Recommended Wheel Width:4.0'' - 5.0''