IGNORED

Bike fired up....but....I need someone who has actually rebuilt their carbs.

After sitting for close to 2 years I fired the bike up today. Fresh gas, a bit of sea foam and some star tron additive and she fired right up like it was only yesterday that I last rode it. That lasted for maybe 5 minutes then gas started leaking from the left bank of carbs and a little bit of popping. Not sure which one yet but since the bike is now 14 years old im thinking of just going ahead and rebuilding the carbs. Hell, I rebuilt everything else on the bike so why not. Looked up the parts fisch at Stadium cycle and all of their carb parts are listed as not available. Parts shark still had them listed. I couldnt find a total rebuild kit for these carbs. So, what I am asking here is some help from someone who has actually rebuilt a set of 2nd gen carbs. Parts source? Any kits available or must I order the parts "ala Carte"? :feedback:

Id be willing to pay someone if they can rebuild the carbs for me. My patience is running thin right now.

Unfortunatly Jeff you have to order the parts alacart as needed.I have not had any luck finding a good usable (kit) for any Yamaha carbs. K&L makes a somewhat usable kit but they never have all the parts I need so I dont even bother with them I just order OEM and do it that way.

Jeff

:080402gudl_prv:Wish You were a little closer. Had the same problem with FoyerBoys bike after rebuilding last summer. Anyway try this before rebuilding the carbs. mix a cocktail of Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam and B-12 Chemtool fuel treatment pour in tank and let set over night. Next day open pitcock let cocktail drain too carbs. check for leaking carbs shake bike to get floats operating again. If this doesn't work then order parts.

Bill,

Cafe' Racer turned Tourer.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75252

here's the thread where i posted the video of my 28mm carbs when i was setting the float levels. it'll give you a little look inside of carbs to help you decide if you want ot try and rebuilt yours. i was wanting to do a video of the next set as i'll be getting help from my friend whos bike we are doing it on. i may get a set of 32mms carbs to put on mine when i change out the motor and get it painted. i'm putting the venture cams and double springs on my 96 wrecked motor with 5400 miles on it and then put it in my 01 royal with the v-max's rearend gears. hope you get your straighten out, don.

Thanks for the replies and PM's and thanks for the phone call Taz. Im ordering a aux fuel bag so I can run the bike without the tank on it and really see where its leaking from. Taz gave me some good pointers to start with. Big thing is at least I know the bike will fire up and run good after all this time up in the air. Hopefully ill get it finished by Bike Week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to playing with the bike today. I bought a hanging fuel bag and was able to fire the bike up with the tank off..... so......without doing anything other then adding seafoam and star tron last month, the bike fired right up and there was no fuel leaking. Guess it was a stuck float or something. Had some small pops from the exhaust as the bike got hotter. I need to replace the fuel filter and plugs and im considering doing the valve adjustment. Not sure if I have the patience to do it right now though and there is no one close enough to help me with this. One thing....after sitting for close to 2 years now she lights right up as soon as the button is pressed. No exhaust smoke either. I added more SeaFoam to the aux tank and ill let it sit overnight and fire it up again tomorrow. Should be road ready in a few weeks. Got to wrap up some cosmetic stuff on her.

You may want to try draining the carbs. Better to try draining out any stuff you loosen up while soaking than trying to suck it through the jets. Low air pressure through the fuel line after the pump will help blow off the needles and empty the bowls with the drain open.

Will it idle with the choke off ? All four pipes getting hot? That's a good indication your pilot jets are clear.

RSTDdog

Will it idle with the choke off ? All four pipes getting hot? That's a good indication your pilot jets are clear.

RSTDdog

Yep to the above. Used the choke for a minute then off and it settled into a nice idle. It started popping from the exhaust when it got hot enough to run the fan. Ill have to check the coolant level later. Im still considering the valve adjustment. Never did one before but im good at figuring things out. I may also pull the carbs and do a thorough clean out. Just cleared my work bench of all unnecessary crap so I now have a clean area to work on the carbs. Just need some incentive to do it....

• 2 months later...

After many delays from other issues that have popped up lately I finally adjusted the valves a few weeks ago and last week I cleaned the carbs, floats, needles and replaced the float gaskets. Also used some thick rubberized foam to make new gaskets for the induction box as well as stuffing JB weld into the holes to make "new" threads for the stripped out ones on the box. Mounted everything up and got around to finish tightening anything carb related tonight. New plugs and fuel filter, anti freeze and attached the IV bag to the gas line. Once the gas hit the carbs she fired up and after a nice white smoke show she settled down into a pretty nice idle. Nothing leaked. Nothing caught fire. Once warmed up there was no popping sound like she did before the valve adjustment. Tomorrow ill top off the radiator and sync the carbs. That IV bag will make it real easy to do. Should be back on the road real soon.