IGNORED

New sound on the bike

We were out riding today and I came up to a stoplight, hit the brakes and heard what sounded like bad brake pads scraping on the front discs, I am talking metal on metal. Not every time. As a matter of fact only about 3 times on the whole ride. I stopped and checked the pads and rotors and everything was fine. Is there anything else that could make any noise like that? a grinding, creaking noise? The noise wasn't a long scraping sound, just a quick sound. I immediately let off the brake and when I put them on again, nothing.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have heard many speak of that same grinding noise and I am with the opinion that all RSV's front wheels sound that way. Mine did it from day one. Had mine for 5 yrs and it always made that noise.

Provided the brake pads are not wore down to where the metal pad base is against the rotor then you will be OK.

You could buy some spray brake pad cleaner, and with a garden hose ready, carefully spray down the brake pads and calipers and quickly rinse. It could be a small stone caught inbetween the pad and rotor, but you would hear this when you turn the wheel by hand....If you do not hear the grinding sound turnign it by hand then I personally woulnd worry about it and would get on it and continue to ride it.

There is definitely nothing foreign rubbing on the pads or rotors. I checked and double check them. I have had the bike for about 6 months and this weekend was the first time for the sound. What on or in the front wheel could possibly make a grinding sound like that?

Dave

My rear kind of makes a clicking noise. I have been told its just the compound of the pads. I would say sounds like you may just have something caught up in the caliper or pad area. Could check and see if the pad has become loose where bonded to backing plate, or the metal tab things have worked around to get in the way.

Thanks djh3, I didn't think about the pads coming loose. I will check that. My thought there is that if it was something like that, wouldn't it be an all the time noise? This only happened like 3 times on an hour run though town with a ton of stop lights.

The inside pad will wear quicker that the outside. Have you checked the trailing edge of the inside?? That noise is not right. I'd pull the calipers and take a better look. It's not that big of a deal to pull them. Metal on metal will leave marks somewhere. Bleed the brake and clutch system while you're at it.... :)