IGNORED

Lane Splitting...

Owen

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned how to ride a street bike in Athens Greece in the late 70's. Splitting lanes was normal and expected. In fact I was chastised more than once by an irate driver for not splitting the lanes as I was taking up space that his car could have been occupying. It was occasionally a bit exciting, but mostly it was just a good way to move through traffic.

I have no problem splitting lanes where legal and accepted.:backinmyday:

Two years ago, my wife and I went to LA for a couple of days in the car. On a Thursday afternoon heading out of town on the 10 in bumper to bumper traffic, I crotch rocket comes up beside me "lane splitting". I was not paying attention to him as the car traffic was crazy enough. I could have easily moved the car over a bit with out knowing it and taken out the bike.

This is why you do not do it. This is why it's unsafe. This is why you are tempting fate if you do. And this is why I think poeple that do this, legal or not are...........tools.

Cages pulling into another lane without looking is a common event, and a common cause of accidents to motocycle riders who are riding normally within their lane. It has happenned to me many times; 3 times on opne half-hour trip. And I was not lane splitting.

If this is a concern, you would be a "Tool" to ride a motorcycle anywhere there is traffic. It is unsafe (though legal throughout the USA and Canada).

I lived in CA for 21 years and YES I did split lanes. Under about 30 most of the time. When your on a bike in bumper to bumper traffic you are more likely to get rear ended. Half the time the car behind you is watching NOT YOU but the car in front of you because "THEY DIDN'T SEE ME". And how many times have THEY NOT SEEN YOU ??? Even in bumper to bumper they look past you and forget about you so its way safer in between the cars. But you have to use some common sense. No more than 5 faster than the others. Which is basically a fast walking pace. Or your going to fast to react to sudden lane changers who don't signal or signal after they start to change lanes

I thought it was a well written article. I feel the only doubters are the ones who don't live there (and I don't mean the "well I lived there for a year or two." The real locals whom might ride every day). If your daily commute consisted of sitting in that kind of traffic every day, I would be willing to gamble most would eventually start splitting lanes. Perhaps not at 30mph. Plus, crawling, idling traffic produces tons of pollution. I don't live there but visit often and every time I'm there I do it (albeit very gingerly and a lot slower than the locals). My wife surely doesn't dig it but gives in pretty quick once she starts broiling to death. It's a different driving culture, not necessarily bad or worse, just different.

Cages pulling into another lane without looking is a common event, and a common cause of accidents to motocycle riders who are riding normally within their lane. It has happenned to me many times; 3 times on opne half-hour trip. And I was not lane splitting.

If this is a concern, you would be a "Tool" to ride a motorcycle anywhere there is traffic. It is unsafe (though legal throughout the USA and Canada).

When I change lanes, I am looking for cars IN THE OTHER LANE.......NOT SOME CLOWN RIDING THE LINE IN BETWEEN CARS!!!! I do not care how much traffic I am in, I will not even ride down the shoulder. Just because you are a bike, does not make you any better than the poeple in a car. Splitting lanes, cutting in front of other cars, that's what causes accidents. Traffic??? I ride my motorcycle on I-696 from Groesbeck all the way into Novi where it turns into I-96 then out to US-23 south....a total of 55 miles each way to work. It gets backed up for 10 miles. There were times I sat in traffic last summer in 100 degree heat for 2 hours. I know what it's like. Even then, I refuse to ride down the shoulder or split a lane. I just will never do it. If I am riding with a group and they do it....see you later. For the poeple that do it, do your spouse a favor and get a million dollar life insurance policy so when you get squished like a bug between cars, they can party like it's 1999. Just my .02, go ahead and flame me, whatever. I feel it's a stupid, irresponsible riding practice and I don't do it. PERIOD !! AND if someone ever does it to me and grazes the side of my....cage...they had better hope to whatever deity they pray to that I don't catch them because they will make a trip to the hospital!!

One last comment from me then I am done with this subject. You all can do whatever you want on your scoots. What exactly is the purpose of lane splitting? To get someplace 5 minutes sooner? Because that's what it boils down to. Personally, I will not risk injury or life of myself or to others, nor risk damage to my bike, which I cherish, or damage to someone else's vehicle because I think that I am better than everyone else, which I am not, and split a lane to get someplace a little bit sooner. You know what? Wherever it is that your trying to get to in such a hurry, it ain't worth it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, even if your stuck in traffic. Look at the video I posted. The guy trashed his bike doing this and possible hurt himself doing it. It does not make any sense to do this. It has nothing to do with what's legal. Marijuana is legal is some states, does not mean I am going to roll a fatty and get high just because it's legal. If you want to do it, do it. I hope you do not get hurt, but I will never split a lane to get someplace faster. I am no better than the cage in front of me. My opinion, my thoughts, my practices. Not necessarily anyone else's.

Driving in heavy traffic you rely on your skill and experience as well as relying on the other drivers around you. Riding a bike in Chicago rush hour traffic my experience tells me I can't trust anyone but myself. I always look for an escape route and the drive is as much about strategy of survival. I just don't see the benefit of decreasing my odds. . .

One last comment

What exactly is the purpose of lane splitting? To get someplace 5 minutes sooner?

...doh, uhhhh, yeahhh, or 2 minutes, heck I'll take 2 seconds if it's 2 seconds in front of the guy I want to beat.

Come on guys, let's see if we can get Randy to make one more comment.

:080402gudl_prv:

How many of the 5 million+ drivers participated in that survey? References? What is this? Facebook? Wikipedia? Good grief.

Interesting noticing how many maps of "where we've ridden" signatures don't include CA. Try living there! Talk to the locals! Get your info from the source and stop with the YouTube Epinions. Unbelievable. Should I post 20 clips from YourTube of safe lane splitting? It's a different driving culture. Of course you're not going to do it, it's illegal almost everywhere.

I've been in California for 65 years, and 40 of that have been putting a lot of miles on two wheels commuting on freeways back and forth to college on my Aerial Square 4 in L.A. traffic. So I guess I might qualify to comment on lane splitting just a little, and I gotta laugh at all the 'what ifs' posted on this thread. First off there are very few accidents that involve or have been caused by lane splitting. When they do occur it's from some idiot splitting lanes at 50 to 60mph on the freeway. Generally on a crotch rocket, but they cause accidents all over the place anyway, and someday that gene pool will disappear. :) For the most part lane splitting is done in congested traffic below 15mph or bumper to bumper, and it isn't done indiscriminately at one constant speed, but varied according to the conditions and when it's safe to do so. Summer time :scorched:is the high season for splitting due to the increase of MC's on the road. I don't split. I could never get the nerve. It's amazing how small that gap looks like from the rear on a bike... Almost the same illusion as how big a bike looks when laying on it's side. Spliting isn't legal, but it's not illegal either, and not everyone splits, but to say it's dangerous as all get out is a mistake. If you don't want to split....don't. No one will make fun of you....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

California Highway Patol has finally published guidelines on their website, which essentially 'approves' of lane splitting.

Good for them!

Lane splitting, if done properly, with skill, and intelligence, is at least as safe as sitting at the back of a long line of stalled traffic, praying the oncoming idiots rolling up behind you will stop in time.

I applaud them for this. :happy34:

And yes, I know the limitations of lane splitting on a nearly 4 foot wide touring bike...but I have lane split with narrower bikes.

Here it is:

Lane Splitting General Guidelines

Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California.

The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.

Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:

1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.

- A speed differential of 10 miles per hour or less allows an alert, competent rider enough time to identify and react to most dangerous situations that can occur.

- The greater the speed differential, the less time a rider has to identify and react to a hazard.

2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster --- danger increases as overall speed increases.

- At just 20 mph, in the 1 or 2 seconds it takes a rider to identify a hazard, that rider will travel approximately 30 to 60 feet before even starting to take evasive action. Actual reaction (braking or swerving) will take additional time and distance.

- Braking and stopping distance varies greatly based on a multitude of factors (rider, machine and environment).

- As speed increases, crash severity increases.

3) Typically, it is safer to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.

- Other road users are more accustomed to motorcycles splitting between the #1 and #2 (furthest left) lanes.

- Avoid splitting in lanes near freeway on-ramps and exits.

- Avoid splitting lanes when another motorcycle rider is splitting between other nearby lanes as cars may make additional room for one rider and accidentally reduce space for another.

4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.

- Some lanes are narrower than others, leaving little room to pass safely. If you can't fit, don't split.

- Some vehicles are wider than others -- it is not advisable to split near wide trucks. If you can't fit, don't split.

- Know the limitations of your motorcycle --- wide bars, fairing and bags require more space between vehicles. If you can't fit, don't split.

- Avoid splitting on unfamiliar roads to avoid surprises such as poor road surfaces.

- Seams in the pavement or concrete between lanes can be hazardous if they are wide or uneven.

- Poor visibility, due to darkness or weather conditions, makes it difficult for riders to see road hazards and makes it more difficult for drivers to see you.

- Help drivers see you by wearing brightly colored protective gear and using high beams during daylight.

5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

- Be very aware of what the cars around you are doing. If a space, or gap, opens up next to your lane, be prepared react accordingly.

- Always be prepared to take evasive action if a vehicle changes lanes.

- Account for inattentive or distracted drivers.

- Riders should not weave back and forth between lanes or ride on top of the line.

- Riders should avoid lingering in blind spots.

- Never ride while impaired by drugs, alcohol or fatigue.

- Constantly scan for changing conditions.

The Four R's or “Be-Attitudes” of Lane Splitting:

Be Reasonable, be Responsible, be Respectful, be aware of all Roadway and traffic conditions.

- Be Reasonable means not more than 10 MPH faster than traffic flow and not over 39 MPH.

- Be Responsible for your own safety and decisions.

• Don't put yourself in dangerous positions.
  • If you can't fit, don't split.

- Be Respectful --- sharing the road goes both ways.

• Don't rely on loud pipes to keep you safe, loud pipes often startle people and poison the attitude of car drivers toward motorcyclists.
  • Other vehicles are not required to make space for motorcycles to lane split.

- Be aware Roadways and traffic can be hazardous.

• uneven pavement
  • wide trucks
  • distracted drivers
  • weather conditions
  • curves
  • etc.

Disclaimers:

These general guidelines are not guaranteed to keep you safe.

Lane splitting should not be performed by inexperienced riders. These guidelines assume a high level of riding competency and experience.

The recommendations contained here are only general guidelines and cannot cover all possible combinations of situations and variables.

Personal Safety: Every rider has ultimate responsibility for his or her own decision making and safety. Riders must be conscious of reducing crash risk at all times. California law requires all motorcycle riders and passengers wear a helmet that complies with the DOT FMVSS 218 standard.

Risk of getting a ticket: Motorcyclists who lane split are not relieved of the responsibility to obey all existing traffic laws. With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent.

When is it NOT OK to split?

You should NOT lane split:

- If you can't fit.

- At a toll booth.

- If traffic is moving too fast or unpredictably.

- If dangerous road conditions exist --- examples include water or grit on the road, slippery road markings, road construction, uneven pavement, metal grates, etc.

- If you cannot clearly see a way out of the space you're going into (for example, if a van or SUV is blocking your view).

- Between trucks, buses, RVs, and other wide vehicles.

- Around or through curves.

- If you are not fully alert and aware of your surroundings.

- If you are unable to react to changing conditions instantaneously.

- If you don't feel comfortable with the situation.

Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers

1) Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.

2) Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.

3) Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).

4) Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).

5) Never drive while distracted.

6) You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by

Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning

Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic

Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency

Edited by tx2sturgis

Screw California. I ain't doing it can't make me!! I feel mostly that bikes get enough bad press. I'll just wait my turn.

Dan I understand where you're coming from, but let me run this scenerio by you. You're wearing boots, jacket, helmet, and in heavy stop and go traffic. The temp is 100+, the engine is runing hot and the fan has kicked in. Would you or wouldn't you lane split if there was enough room between vehicles??? :whistling:

I have read all the arguments for and against and my conclusion is that every argument against could also be made against riding Motorcycles in general, and those for also. The vidioes of bikes wrecking can be found of bikers doing everything right or of inexperienced or stupid riders taking dumb chances.

All things considered. Do what you are comfortable with, do what's legal, and ride on. :thumbsup2: