IGNORED

Is there a how to for Igniton Switch Relay?

My ignition switch is bad. Must be the second time because I have two keys, never knew I was only supposed to have one. I have seen much talk about adding a relay to take stress off the switch. I would like to put in the relay when I redo the switch. I am fairly handy, but the elecrical side of things is one of my glaring weaknesses. Is there a step by step post that shows how to do this? Any suggestions on where to get the switch? What type of relay to use? Can the switch be cleaned up and keep on using?

Thanks,

Ross

There is some great info in the Tech section under computers, electrical, etc. Pictures, good write up, emergency bypass, etc. If yours has already been changed out once, you won't have much trouble changing it out again. A big part of the change out was removing the headless? screws.

I have found many good articles. I guess I have been spoiled by this site, and would like to find a good all in one tech article to walk me through. When someone says something like simply tie the hot wire over to the 50 amp side of the fuse,

I am like..............What??? Huh??

Like I say, not to sharp with electrical stuff.

OK to carry you one step further, those 2 new red wires, instead of going to a different switch, you want those wires to go to the contacts of your starter relay. On the now unused starter switch connector wires, you want to apply 12 volts switched to one of the contacts and the other wire goes to the coil of the relay. Apply a ground to the other relay coil connector and you are good to go. That way you can continue to use your ignition switch normally providing your ignition switch is still good...

Try this link.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68952

There is a .pdf file called "Relays 101.pdf" that will tell you everything you need to know about how they work and where they should be installed. I used this file last year when my switch burned out to make sure it didn't happen again. There is even a thread in here somewhere that showed how the switch could actually be repaired (depending on the level of damage). I installed an extra fuse box and ran wires directly to the relays from there. I also installed an emergency ignition switch bypass, just in case the switch fix didn't hold - no problems so far though.

Andy

If you are gonna put a relay on the main power wires, I would strongly suggest that you put a relay on the headlight and another relay for the passing lights.

Did both before I did the switch bypass. :thumbsup2:

I have a switch box mounted on top of the clutch resevoir that I use to turn on low beam, driving lights or a pair of day runner lights. So those lights are always off prior to starting the bike. High beam and running lights are unaffected doing this too.

Larry

I installed my new ignition and added the relay today. It was pretty darn easy with the excellent instructions I had to follow. Larry, thanks a lot for making it something I could do myself. Not to mention all the other people it is bound to help.

Ross

• 1 year later...

I would say yes. If you have to wiggle and jiggle the key to make contact it could be the tumblers just simple are not moving things. but I guess the other school of thought is it has to be moved around to clear out the corroded bits to make contact. If key turn free and in acc position works......me thinks the switch could be cooked.