IGNORED

Looking at 2003 Midnight Venture….good deal?

Buck_Roy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they say that beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder! I fell in love with the Venture back in '05, then finally scratched together enough pennies to buy my first one, an '04 Midnight, in '06. Due to some things out of my control I sold it last year and bought an '03 Roadstar. I REALLY liked that 'ol bike, low, fast, and LOUD! But, they also say that you never get over your first love, so that's why I got another Venture a few months back. BUT, to get to my main point, and I'm not meaning to hi-jack this thread. Hummingbird, I understand the raked triple tree with a trike setup, but has anyone put a raked tree on a stock Venture? Stock rake is 29deg, but I'm thinking it would handle much better to get it out to around 32deg, similar to the Roadstar rake, and get rid of the wobbles. I don't think that 3deg more would significantly alter the handling. Just another of my many "inquiring mind" things.

I understand the raked triple tree with a trike setup, but has anyone put a raked tree on a stock Venture? Stock rake is 29deg, but I'm thinking it would handle much better to get it out to around 32deg, similar to the Roadstar rake, and get rid of the wobbles.

I don't think that 3deg more would significantly alter the handling.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? :stickpoke:

Originally Posted by Wrench viewpost.gif

I understand the raked triple tree with a trike setup, but has anyone put a raked tree on a stock Venture? Stock rake is 29deg, but I'm thinking it would handle much better to get it out to around 32deg, similar to the Roadstar rake, and get rid of the wobbles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrench viewpost.gif

I don't think that 3deg more would significantly alter the handling.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction?

See, there's always SOMEBODY hanging on you're ever word!!:whistling:

What I MEANT, but did'nt say, was that I don't think it would significantly alter the handling in a BAD way. Thanks for keeping me on my toes SilvrT :stirthepot:

Sounds like you got a good buy a friend of mine is looking for one here, we went and look a GW nice but the owner was very proud of it...He has to have a trike so his search is limited...I did chrome the trim out on my gas tank and lower cowling, reviews have been mixed on it..

to be honest - I looked for almost a year for a Venture Trike, not too many out there and the ones that are I didn't care for.

there are 3 things that prompt a purchase out of me - (1) a good deal (2) I saw it and fell in love and (3) I just want it

There are only 2 kits for the Venture and I don't like either one of them. I could have put a Hannigan on my Venture for $13,000 and saved $8000 but realistically I would have been under powered and out dated compared to the GL1800. I bought a second seat for the Wing and I'm taking it over today to get it 'adjusted' to give me a little more leg room.

Trike-wise I also think the 'wing looks better. That Black one that Hannigan has in their current ad campaign is HOT!!!!!! Ditto on the seat "adjustment" too, got that on my list for this winter. I've got a seat guy that does a great job making them fit.

See, there's always SOMEBODY hanging on you're ever word!!:whistling:

What I MEANT, but did'nt say, was that I don't think it would significantly alter the handling in a BAD way. Thanks for keeping me on my toes SilvrT :stirthepot:

Anytime ... :Laugh:

I knew what you meant ... just couldn't resist a bit of :stickpoke:

Guest scarylarry
OK - now that I found the sore spot, how can I get salt in it :stirthepot:

Sire as long we don't talk about a Yammy....Like I said when this one is gone there will never be another one here, and may God have mercy on the next yammy that pulls in this drive after I get rid of mind cause I won't...

OK - now that I found the sore spot, how can I get salt in it :stirthepot:

Sire as long we don't talk about a Yammy....Like I said when this one is gone there will never be another one here, and may God have mercy on the next yammy that pulls in this drive after I get rid of mind cause I won't...

Good Luck selling it - :thumbsup:

It also has one accessory no one has mentioned ! I usually wouldn't pay more than NADA for a bike but in this case I would. The bike being a one owner, the mileage (he did ride it hasn't been sitting and rotting) all score extra points IMHO. Not sure about the trunk but as long as you get everything, I do like the look with and without it's :cool10: , I think it would be a great bike once properly restored to stock ride height or 1 inch higher in the rear with leveling links. Was the front lowered also ?

Other acc. Steve Wagner Grill

No Playboy, the front end is still stock. I really, REALLY like the bike, and the seller seems to be a really good guy. I'm still trying to figure out how involved it would be to get her set up back to "stock", or maybe even a little higher if that would help her handling any.

Hi;

Too bad you are so far away. I've got my 2008 Royal Star Venture with stock mufflers, a little higher than stock (stock arms available), Cherry/Black, 45K, new rear tire, shock replaced in June, Speed-Healer - in process to sell for $7200 :95:

I just bought a 2002 Trike.

JohnB

I really wish I were closer as well. That sounds like a great bike! I wonder how far it is between us....hmmm.... ;)

Oh, and you mentioned "stock arms available", are you referring to the stock parts to put an RSV back to stock height? If so, and if you were saying they might be for sale, I would definitely be interested!

:lightbulb:

I am trying to contribute my 2 pesos, however I am literally 17 hours into owning any sort of yamaha venture. My thoughts are if you can swing the price and like the bike go for it. It cat inlay has an enormous amount of accessories . I agree with FREEBIRD, regarding having stuff you already like or want. I am vertically challenged and the bike I purchased with feedback from FREEBIRD , has barons lowering kit. Sadly I have no mechanical skills w/ these bikes, as my kawi is fuel injected with minimum components.

Enough of my blabbering....bottom line, if you like the bike, get it. It looks amazing.

:080402gudl_prv:

Sorry for the delay, but have been kinda busy.

First, thank you to EVERYONE who has shared their thoughts and opinions on this bike. It is appreciated a LOT. Seriously!

Second, I went back to see the bike again, and rode her again. The seller and his wife are truly, seriously great people. They welcomed me into their home, just in simple friendship. They walked me through everything on the bike. Complete maintenance records from the day of purchase, receipts for each "add on", every service done per the owners manual (records for it all), etc. They gave me a "tour" of the bike itself, too. I got the whole history. Like, the seller made me feel under the right side saddlebag guard rail, where I managed (after a few minutes of working) to feel the very slightest of a nick...he said "feel that? that was from a curb in a Starbucks, in Virginia. I was pushing back in, so I could stay nose up, and bumped a curb". They remembered adding each accessory, when and why, and it was great. Afterwards they brought out all the pics from their trips through Oregon/Washington, a trip to the East coast to see and run the Dragon, around through Colorado, etc. The bike is at 51,500 miles, and all but a few hundred of them are open road miles. We found out that we know, and have ridden with, some of the same people. We have even used the same bike shop and mechanic in the past. Honestly, it was a great afternoon.

Third, the bike is incredible! It has everything I mentioned in my original post, plus a second OEM drivers seat (the owner had "experimented" on adjusting the padding inside one), a full set of matching Corbin seats (driver's seat, w/ removable backrest,and pillion) with less than 1000 miles on it, Yamaha liner bags for inside the saddlebags and trunk, trunk rack, and several smaller ones built to attach to the saddlebag guard rails, and some additional Yamaha chrome add-ons that have never been installed still in packaging. I also have a set of BUB slip-ons with less than 1000 miles on them and "like new", wrapped in VCI paper and well packed in a box.

Forth....well.....I'm going to attach a pic, that will hopefully say it all !!!!

Yep, that's me...and SHE'S MINE!!!!

Thanks to everybody!!!!

Roy aka: "Skip"

Congrats to you Roy!

May she serve you well!

Mike

Thanks eusa1, I really appreciate that! I've already gotten a couple of hundred miles on her, before we turned cold here.

Btw, I've written to your friend who has done the "two version" RSV/RSTD set up, and I'm hoping to learn how to work that out with this bike.

I'm kinda bouncing off the walls about this bike!!

:cool10:

Just to respect their privacy, I just sent you a PM about the previous owners rather than post all their information here. But, the system says it can't deliver it .... something about you have too many stored messages??

:confused24:

For now, the RSV is a 2003, the owners are "Tim and Nancy", they live here in North Dallas near me. They are the original/only owners...at least before me!

Does that help??