IGNORED

Clutch Master and Slave

winston66

Well it has happened ,

My poor old trusty 1996 XVZ Royal Star only 72000 kilometers or 45000 of your miles had started to consume clutch fluid and is starting to drag the clutch and sometimes is hard to change gear and to select netural.

From what I have read on the forum it appears that slave cylinder maintainance is required. there are no apparent leaks visable.

Because I am isolated here in rural Australia and there are no local dealers close by I would like some input from you great bunch of guys as to what is involved in this job as well as a reputable supplier for the necessary parts. I guess that it it advisable to change the slave out as against rekiting it. I am also thinking that a re kit of the master might as well be done at the same time.

any thoughts about this please,

Can the slave be changed out without dismantling any of the gearbox.

Cheers to all,

Winston66, Northampton , Western Australia

:fingers-crossed-emo :backinmyday:

Winston,

Do yourself a favor and buy a new slave, it's a crap shoot with trying to rebuild an old one that may have bore issues. It's not really that much more money to buy new anyhow and you have the peace of mind knowing it's not going to be an issue for a long time.

Have you tried to bleed the system out, I have many times done a complete fluid change and all is right with the clutch world again. That would be the 1st thing I would do as it is the cheapest and fastest to do. If you do need parts, there are many of us, myself included, that would help you get parts to the land down under if shipping over seas isn't an option from whomever you purchase parts from. I use this dealer in Oregon

http://www.ysppart.com/

I have had excellent service from them and their prices are some of the best that I have found on the web.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll get you heading in the right direction :thumbsup2:

Hey Winston,

I fully agree with Squidley on this matter. Considering that you will wait for parts, I would not want to fool with the Clutch Slave more than once. Because any moisture that is in the Clutch System will collect in the Slave Cylinder, and not the master cylinder, the Master Cylinder is an excellent candidate for a rebuild. A decent set of snap ring pliers is the only specialty tool needed for a Master Cylinder Rebuild, and the rebuild kit of course.

Throw a speed bleeder on that new slave when you install it, and your future, yearly clutch service will be a snap. :thumbsup2:

Earl

NEVER MIND... I just realized yours is a 96 ..not an 86... read the year wrong...

I just rebuilt my slave cylinder a week ago. It is working fine, but I agree with the others, that since you are so far out in the middle of nowhere, do it once with a new one. The removal can be a real Pain In The Outback, re-installation goes much, much faster.

I also got several months of life out of mine by bleeding it and changing the fluid, but I think that is the first sign that your slave is going. Mine eventually started to leak worse and at first I didn't have any drips, but lost fluid from the master.

I have attached a copy of the clutch diagram and a "how to" I used on my 89. I know this one says 83-85, but it is the same.

The only information I can add is that you have to beat the wire/line holder on the left side way down ( after removing wires) to get the slave cylinder out. This will make sense when you are looking at it and cursing :shock3: the Yamaha engineer that put it there. :happy65:

Good luck and have fun. It's not a job.... it's an adventure....:detective:

Thanks everybody for the input ,

It is great to get that feedback,

Earl, I tried to PM you yesterday but it looks as if I stuffed it up, so sent another message this morning.

Thanks again chaps I will procede as you all have suggested , and will endevour to do it properley and take it slowly so that plenty of the mandotary Beer Tasting can be indulged in at the same time.

Cheers to all,

Winston66,

Northampton

Western Australia