IGNORED

Geek Squad Warranty!

cabreco

Definitely NOT true about the Vibe and Matrix being made in the same plant. Our location is the ONLY location that has ever made the Matrix. The Pontiac Vibe stopped production when GM pulled out of the joint venture at the NUMMI plant in California.

Your info is conflicting. You said they weren't made in the same plant but then you said they were until GM pulled out. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Vibe

Your info is conflicting. You said they weren't made in the same plant but then you said they were until GM pulled out. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Vibe

No conflict in what I said or the info. Vibe was made under the joint venture GM/Toyota had in Freemont California. The Matrix has been made at the Toyota plant in Cambridge Ontario. Two different plants.

They were based on the same platform but varied in trim primarily (grilles, badging, etc). Sort of like Ford and Mercury years ago.

I've worked for Toyota for over 22 years.... I know where they were made.

I don't think anyone is questioning your last statement. If there is something I don't understand I would be a dumby to not ask for clarification.

What I am taking that you are saying is 2 plants, GM product and something along the lines of Toyota tooling, parts or what have you.

FYI. Black Friday ads are out. Best Buy had a Toshiba 40" LCD for $180. Normally $420.

I don't think anyone is questioning your last statement. If there is something I don't understand I would be a dumby to not ask for clarification.

What I am taking that you are saying is 2 plants, GM product and something along the lines of Toyota tooling, parts or what have you.

Think the design was GM but it was a joint venture at the California plant (NUMMI) where the Vibe was produced. The Cambridge plant was soley Toyota. Yes, most of the parts were the same and the differences came down to slightly different body panels, grill, lights....

As for asking for clarification.... questions are a good thing and there is no such thing as a dumb question (okay... I have heard someone I know ask a really stupid question (blonde female)... but that is another story)

I've often wondered if we should have a separate/dedicated forum for general product recommendations.

Anyway, any input on whether or not I should add a dedicated forum for such things? Appliances, computers, whatever?

Sure go ahead and hijack a thread on car manufacturing which hijacked a thread on something. :think:

To answer your question it is not needed these topics come up in the Watering hole just fine, then they get hijacked just as good as if they were in their own section.

Brad

FYI: I work in the technology field and NO big screen TV you buy will last more than 4 years. They are designed to fail. So if you get the 5 year warranty for $100 it's worth it. I have thrown in the trash $35,000 80" Tv's because they cant be fixed and were 3-4 years old.

it's why I refuse to buy any Tv that is more than $700.00 Because the wing-wang-wong $700 TV will last as long as the Pioneer Elite $4500 TV that is the same size. AND they are made next to each other in the same china factory.

Guest tx2sturgis

My ilo 26 inch flat panel set is somewhere around 8-10 years old...still working.

Admittedly, I dont watch tv that much, but its still working great.

FYI: I work in the technology field and NO big screen TV you buy will last more than 4 years. They are designed to fail. ....

Now now.... go easy on him. In this "throw away" society we have today, nothing is made to last. Manufactured obsolecense, lack of dependability.... whatever you want to call it.

You'd figure with advancements they could make appliances last a lifetime. I'm sure we all know of a 1950's era refrigerator still working to this day and fridges purchased in this decade that have already been retired. The saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" holds true. If they made them to last the manufacturers would be out of business.

TV's do have an expiry date (projectors, flat panels) but usually rated in the thousands of hours of viewing time.... and then they just fade away.....

Guest tx2sturgis

TV's do have an expiry date (projectors, flat panels) but usually rated in the thousands of hours of viewing time.... and then they just fade away.....

What I have noticed on some flat panel sets used in commercial settings (12-24 hours use per day) is that they seem to get some 'organic' looking smears or streaks..randomly on the screen, that tend to cause a dark smudge on the screen...and its on the inside of the screen, not the outer surface where you can wipe it off.

Not sure exactly what causes that, but its some kind of failure of the screen. I have a theory, but who knows.

:puzzled:

Now now.... go easy on him. In this "throw away" society we have today, nothing is made to last. Manufactured obsolecense, lack of dependability.... whatever you want to call it.

You'd figure with advancements they could make appliances last a lifetime. I'm sure we all know of a 1950's era refrigerator still working to this day and fridges purchased in this decade that have already been retired. The saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" holds true. If they made them to last the manufacturers would be out of business.

Oh Yeah?:stickpoke:

I was reading the other day that cars are staying on the road longer than in years past.

So Cars must be built much better now a days.:whistling:

or maybe we are all just too broke to replace the old junkers~

Oh Yeah?:stickpoke:

I was reading the other day that cars are staying on the road longer than in years past.

So Cars must be built much better now a days.~

Well cars of today may not last as long but seem to go alot further today in a much shorter time frame. Maybe in general they are made better, but is throw away pieces better. HAHA

Yes. You got one of the few that was built right.

I tend to agree that the average life is not that long.