IGNORED

Moving trunk/passenger backrest back

A couple of my RSV friends have moved their trunk & passenger backrest back 1" by removing the mount bolts and and repositioning the whole assembly back one set of holes. Seen it done with 4 bolts and 6.

Seems like a simple idea to give the passenger an extra inch of breathing room.

I did not see this in the RSV tech library. Is there already a post on "How to"?

I hope to do this today. (hints from my friends: Remove the passenger seat when you do it because when you move the trunk, it will pull on the com cord. The one with 6 bolts got said he picked up 6mm bolts from Lowes.)

Very simple. Just remove the 4 screws in the bottom of the trunk. When you move it back about an inch, you will see that there are 4 matching holes already there that line up. Now mine had nuts welded on the back of those 4 additional holes and I just reinserted and tightened the screws. I've read some reports that the holes did not have the nuts so I think those folks had to use longer screws and put nuts and lock washers on the bottom side. Either way, the holes should be there already.

Thanks Don,

Will look before I leap,,,, to Lowes.

Mike G in SC

PS: Hour later. Done.

Did need to run down to the local hardware store for four 6mm x 1" button bolts (stainless, why not), four nuts, four lock washers and two flat washers.

Always more fun to swap jokes at the hardware store then buy stuff you didn't want at Lowes.

Yeah, on my 2009, Yamaha did not weld nuts to other holes, but at least they were there. So needed nuts & washers. Only the two front bolts will go back to original holes & welded nuts.

Longer part of the job is remembering why you have that much stuff in your trunk and what you want to put back. Yeah, a flattened small roll of toilet paper,,, put back in.

And, yeah, pull the passenger seat else the com cable will probably pull loose.

That was EASY. Gives wife an extra inch of breathing room and if I add a back rest, not so much in her way.

Thanks again, Mike G.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Actually I used metal spacers on mine for the rear bolts. The issue is the bottom of the trunk sets on top of the round bar when you use the other holes, so to take the strain off of the bottom when you move it back you need the spacers. What I ended up doing was to screw the bolts from the bottom upwards leaving studs sticking up, and then used nuts inside the trunk to secure...