IGNORED

The suspect was armed with a vehicle

RandyR

Federal law enforcement spokesman used the term "The suspect was armed with a vehicle" to justify a shooting and killing of a woman in California.

The use of the term "armed" is what caught my eye.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/30/14161155-family-demands-answers-in-fatal-shooting-of-woman-in-car-by-border-patrol-agent?lite=obinsite

That is a very odd story.

It appears the the woman wasn't actually "suspect" of anything at all.

It also appears that no one's life was in immediate danger, but it's hard to tell and I wasn't there.

It is probably true that if anyone was in danger with a live driver reversing slowly, then the danger can't have been reduced much by a dead driver.

There will be an investigation, the department will clear the Officer. The family will sue and the department will settle.

And five kids will grow up with no Mom.

Sad.

The story is wierd, yes. But thats not why I posted it.

Why I posted it is the use of the term "armed with a vehicle" by a spokesman for a federal LE agency.

So. Am I armed with a vehicle whenever I ride my Venture? whats the weight limit for a vehicle that is deadly? is my 200lb trail bike classified the same as a bb gun? enquiring minds want to know.

If a vehicle is a weapon, does that mean felons will no longer be allowed to drive?

The story is wierd, yes. But thats not why I posted it.

Why I posted it is the use of the term "armed with a vehicle" by a spokesman for a federal LE agency.

So. Am I armed with a vehicle whenever I ride my Venture? whats the weight limit for a vehicle that is deadly? is my 200lb trail bike classified the same as a bb gun? enquiring minds want to know.

If a vehicle is a weapon, does that mean felons will no longer be allowed to drive?

It's just typical weird phrasing that LEOs use all the time.

A vehicle can be a weapon, if it is used as one. Anything can be a weapon if it is used offensively.

A 12" cooks knife is just a cook's knife, until becomes a murder weapon.

The 'weapon' was apparently going away from the cop in civilian clothing. My reaction would be the same. I would try to reverse away from a thug with a pistol. ( remember, at this point the lady has probably no idea who the man with the "real weapon" is.)

Who knows what really happened. We werent there and we have to take the police's word for it. Its usually their word against the nobodies. :bang head:

Good luck to the family of the lady.

"My wife got killed for no reason," Gilbert told NBC 7 Friday night. "Show me that my wife had a gun or something that threatened the guy’s life where he had to use lethal force against her."

I guess running an agent down with a car and carrying him a few hundred yards down the street while on the hood is not enough of a threat. She lost the fight. PERIOD! Officers of the Law, be they LEO or Border Patrol Agents, FBI, DEA or whomever, are put under extreme conditions everyday. You try and run one over with a car, that is intent to commit murder. PERIOD!! That gives them the right to defend themselves. She tried, she lost. If I am armed and you try and run me down.....your gonna loose.

She intentionally hit an agent and carried him several hundred yards on the hood of her car. Cars are used as weapons all the time, get a woman good and mad and a set of keys and see how long you stand before her. Cars are used as instruments to inflict injury and death on people all the time. Reminds me of the lady that "accidently" hit her husband 15 times and was stopped as she was backing over his body.

Gee, how do we know she intentionally hit the guy?

A witness says she was backing up slowly with the guy walking in front of the car and he started shooting at her.

He was serving a felony warrant in plain clothes near her house. Maybe he was so focused on what he was doing that he walked out in front of her. She accidentally hits him and he pulls out a gun and maybe does not identify himself with her being able to hear him. She may have panicked and was trying to get away from a guy pointing a gun at her.

This sounds a lot more plausible than her intentionally running down a cop.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Gee, how do we know she intentionally hit the guy?

A witness says she was backing up slowly with the guy walking in front of the car and he started shooting at her.

He was serving a felony warrant in plain clothes near her house. Maybe he was so focused on what he was doing that he walked out in front of her. She accidentally hits him and he pull out a gun and maybe does not identify himself with her being able to hear him. She may have panicked and was trying to get away from a guy pointing a gun at her.

This sounds a lot more plausible than her intentionally running down a cop.

RandyA

HaHA, accidently hits him.............and carries his a couple of hundred yards away!! Please.

As far as witnesses. Depending on the hood, can they be really reliable?

HaHA, accidently hits him.............and carries his a couple of hundred yards away!! Please.

As far as witnesses. Depending on the hood, can they be really reliable?

About as reliable as police statements, I would think.

I'm not sure why folk are taking sides here ... None of us were present, we have no idea who did what to whom, or why.

maybe does not identify himself with her being able to hear him..

Or maybe he spoke in english and she didn't understand

OR since she was born raised and always lived in the USA but is of Mexican decent, maybe he spoke to her in Spanish and she didn't understand him.

It will be interesting to know the rest of the facts as they come out.

I like to think I know how I would react with my cage in a similar circumstance.

It says the officer was hit and rode on the hood for a distance, sorry yes that made the car a weapon. It happened in our city about 10 years back, stolen suv driver swerved at the cop trying to stop him and yes the driver ended up dead although it took two of our local pd members many shots to distroy a glass bus shelter hit a passing car and a few other things before finaly breaking the glass of the car and striking the driver.

Although a plain clothed leo with no badge showing makes it kinda crazy, yes it could have been an accedent gone bad.