IGNORED

Home Made Flag Pole "$Cheap$"

BEER30

Just finished making "2" (TWO) Flag pole under $15.00 . Here's pictures of one of them mounted on my rear trunk rack . The mast are made of lavatory water supply (tubing) lines , the ones made of chrome plated brass . I used 3/8" all-thread inside the tubing to striffen the mast . As I inserted the all-thread into the tubing , I used Marine Grade sealer/silicone to secure any cavities as it was the ID and OD were not exact match . While spinning/screwing the all-thread into the tubing , I applied the silicone sealer onto the threads . At the tip of the tubing where it is formed as a natural flare is a plastic insert where the all-thread did make a good contact . The end of the all-thread is just short from passing all the way through , on which I placed a dab of silicone sealer to secure a chromed dog collar spike to complete the top of the mast . At the base of the tubing , I run a stainless steel safety nut (one with the plastic insert , forgot the correct name) reversed to give an acorn top look just under the tubing . The mount I made from aircraft aluminim . Measements are 3/4" x 2" x 1" . Drilled 1 hole to fit around the trunk rack and 2 more to secure it to the rack . 1 hole , I passed the mast into and tightend securely with an acorn nut . Second hole I used acorn nut up top and safety nut underneath . I would have used another acorn nut , but ran out of them . Also to mention , I used the over length all-thread as my second securing bolt .

The flag , I purchased at Walmart just under $5.00 . It is the heavy duty , window type plastic mount , made of double layered fabric . I removed the flap from the plastic mast and inserted a section of pvc tubing into the tubular fabric on mount side of the flag . It was a tight fit , which made is better . I inserted the mast into the pvc tubing on the flag and followed it with up with a rubber grommet to keep the flap up top of mast . The rubbwer grommet is the type used to insulate wires through sheet metal which I purchased from hardware store as well . The way I made this will allow the flag to rotate freely around the mast .

Overall , I have only spent nearly $20.00 for 1 flag and 2 flag pole mast and took me approx. 1 1/2 hours to make .

Gene

Nice and it's almost exactly like the one I made last summer. We must be thinking alike as I was short of funds so did almost the same thing as you did Beer. Aluminum block drilled and mounted same as you did. Not sure of the size right offhand. I run a threaded rod thru a piece of stainless tubing, acorn nuts top & bottom. A plastic washer at the top and a plastic washer with a tight fit rubber washer under the flag. My flag is the one Eddie sold with the VentureRiders.org. logo on it. Now I need to make another for an American flag.

I'll post a pic of mine later.

Larry

Very similar wouldn't you say Beer?

Larry

" BEER " !

Did you fabricate your own mount ( aluminum block ) ? I cut mine out of a large chunk of material with my bandsaw , sanded with a belt sander to remove cut marks , then replace the good sanding belt with a worn out fine grit to polish . That little block of aluminum got hot ! Found it better to cool down with an air hose , rather than cooling with water .

I must say Carbon , we do fine work !

"Done so long , with so little , we can do anything with nothin' ".

Gene

Carbon ,

I also made a slip over cover as well . I wonder if it true that my mom did really have twins and I was the one she kept . Are you my twin brother ? :rotf:

Squid ,

I have more aluminum to spare and would extend out my hand to help you out in making a couple more masts for Owl . I'll try to get them made as soon as I can . Before I commit into making them to sale , I have a freind whom has a CNC machine . Perhaps I can convince him to produce some mounts if their is enough interest in it . CNC machines are not cheap , but enough to be made may persuade him too . Making no promises , but I will check on it .

Gene

• 2 years later...
After about 2 miles it came down. Any ideas how to make quieter?

Tighten up all them bolts and nuts on that 1st Gen , then it will be quieter .:stirthepot::stickinouttounge:

Honestly , what size of flag and material is is made of ? I fly 2 - 11"x 16" flags . I forgot what the material is , but it is like a knitted clothe and it's double ply.

BEER30

where can I get some of that aluminum block

I get mine from a fellow company that uses Aircraft grade aluminum to CNC molds . My local welder has some laying around every once in awhile also . Our local medal supplier wants you to buy a truck load . I may still have some , but I have to get another 40 tooth or better carbide blade for my chop saw to cut off a chunk . I'm leaving for Orlando in about 5 hours and will not be back home until late Sunday . Shoot me a PM to remind me to look and if I have some , I will send to ya .

BEER30

• 3 months later...
Carbon ,

I also made a slip over cover as well . I wonder if it true that my mom did really have twins and I was the one she kept . Are you my twin brother ? :rotf:

Squid ,

I have more aluminum to spare and would extend out my hand to help you out in making a couple more masts for Owl . I'll try to get them made as soon as I can . Before I commit into making them to sale , I have a freind whom has a CNC machine . Perhaps I can convince him to produce some mounts if their is enough interest in it . CNC machines are not cheap , but enough to be made may persuade him too . Making no promises , but I will check on it .

Gene

OK, here's one heck of an order----I'll have two, no, make that three (a spare) mounts for my RSV over here in Western Australia :fingers-crossed-emo

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly