IGNORED

shaking handle bars

Guest KitCarson
I replaced my handle bar grips with a pair of Kuryakyn grips ...and now I noticed that my handle bar is shaking more, then before when I take my hands from the handle bar .. Is that because I removed the handle bar weights?

That was one of the reasons I gave them away!!! Besides vibration in the bars the grips were just too big for my hand.........you have to take the old weights, those big chrome ones and drill the grips and mount from inside or Kayukian or how ever you spell it does sell a pointed set of weights that fit on the grips just as the flat end pieces do. Several people I know have used the kayukian weights and it solves part of the trouble with vibration....but not all...by far the best way is to mount the factory weights unto the new grips.

Kit

I did mine a little differently. I knew I wanted to keep the K grips, but didn't know whether I would want the weights or not. (My bike didn't originally have the weights.) So I didn't want to gouge out the ends of the grips and then not be able to put the end caps back on if I wanted. I figured better to ruin the weights than the grips. So I chucked the weights in a metal lathe and turned the shoulder off so they would fit through the existing holes in the grips. Blue loctite holds them solid. It turns out I like the weights, so the means didn't matter much. The result is the same. Because my bike never had the weights, I had to acquire a couple metric nuts with the correct thread, turn them down in the lathe, and weld them inside the handlebars. Now I just need to figure out a way to attach K's leather fringe ends to these weights instead of to their own end caps.

As far as vibration elimination goes, I've always been curious just how solid the bars would feel if they were filled up solid with aluminum or lead. One day I might get ambitious and melt down some old pistons or something and pour it into the handlebars just to see what happens.

Baron's weight ends are an option. But they're not as big and heavy. And then because ultimately they connect to the handlebars only through the rubber of the grips themselves, I wonder if their effectiveness would be reduced that little bit more, and especially the throttle side, because that grip doesn't mount solidly to the handlebars at all. It's left sloppy loose as that grip has to twist. How much good can that do? Anything that mounts directly to the bars themselves and not to the grips will do a better job. Of course, Baron's weights are much easier to install.

One day I might get ambitious and melt down some old pistons or something and pour it into the handlebars just to see what happens.

I think that Sorbothane cylinders in the bar ends would probably be a better solution. Less mass but LOTS of vibration dampening.

INTRODUCTION

Sorbothane is a proprietary, visco-elastic polymer. Visco-elastic means that a material exhibits properties of both liquids (viscous solutions) and solids (elastic materials).

Sorbothane is a thermoset, polyether-based, polyurethane material.

Sorbothane combines shock absorption, good memory, vibration isolation and vibration damping characteristics. In addition, Sorbothane is a very effective acoustic damper and absorber. While many materials exhibit one of these characteristics, Sorbothane combines all of them in a stable material with a long fatigue life.

Sorbothane has a low creep rate compared to other polymers (rubber, neoprene,

silicone, etc.)

Sorbothane has a superior damping coefficient, over a very wide temperature range,

compared to any other polymer.

Unlike fluid-based shock absorbers or foam products, Sorbothane absorbs shock efficiently for millions of cycles.

Sorbothane eliminates the need for metal springs to return the system to its equilibrium position after absorbing a shock.

Has anyone tried Bar Snake to reduce vibration on an RSV?

I have not tried it yet, but in looking at the end of the bars you will need to get the liquid bar snake because the nuts for the weights will not allow you to pull a bar snake through.

I am seriously considering it though. When I road down to Florida in October my hands were numb for 2 weeks afterwards.

I replaced my handle bar grips with a pair of Kuryakyn grips ...and now I noticed that my handle bar is shaking more, then before when I take my hands from the handle bar .. Is that because I removed the handle bar weights?

I put Kuryakn grips on last summer and the shakes too.

Then I installed the end caps that are weighted and made for the Kuryakn grips, no more shakes.

:)

I do not understand why the others are having the shakes after using the Kurayakn weights, but my ride does not shake and I did not have to drill anything out.