IGNORED

Ignition switch issue?

Pic

I went to the Hot Springs AR rally this past weekend. Yesterday morning getting ready to come back home from Hot Springs I went to start my 07 RSV and it just clicked when I hit the start button. I noticed when I hit the start button all the lights and the radio shut off. The radio did not come back on. I turned the key off and back on and it started fine, but had to turn the radio back on and all of my radio preset channels were gone. It did this one more time on the way home at one of the stops. I am thinking from the threads I read this morning it is in the ignition switch or could be the ignition wiring. I will not be able to check out the wiring till Friday. Need to check my warranty and find out when it expires since it is an 07 model and I bought it used.

Your Warranty should be good even though you bought the bike used. Yamaha Warranty goes from owner to owner on these Ventures regardless of mileage/location.:cool10:

My bet is the ignition switch is the culprit as that is exactly what I experienced on my 06 several years ago.

There are several things you can do to prolong the life of the new ignition switch and there are several threads here pertaining to those specific actions.

Good luck and ride on!

Boomer....who sez an Emergency By-Pass switch will make darn sure yer never stranded again.:cool10:

When it started did it start right up or crank slowly?

I'd have the battery checked. I don't think the ignition switch going out would mess with the radio presets. I KNOW that a battery on the way out, when you crank the bike over, will cause the presets to be lost.

When it started did it start right up or crank slowly?

I'd have the battery checked. I don't think the ignition switch going out would mess with the radio presets. I KNOW that a battery on the way out, when you crank the bike over, will cause the presets to be lost.

Just put a new battery in a couple of months ago. Started just fine when it worked and did not seem like the battery was drained.

Pic

Before you go changing your ignition switch, I highly reccomend you do the folowing.

Remove your gas tank...then follow the instructions in this technical write up to see if your ignition switch CONNECTOR has burned throug or not..(like mine did)..

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32359

NOTE:.....

If your same connector is NOT burned through, then I will say I do think your ignition switch went bad..

Well Friday I checked out the bike. The ground terminal on the negative side of the battery was not totally tight. I cleaned both sides and retightened. Rode some Friday afternoon before the rain. Rode 170 miles Saturday and no problems so I think that was the issuse. Thanks for all the suggestions. If it gives me more problems I will check the connection under the tank next.