IGNORED

Feeling foolish transmission question

I am feeling rather foolish to have to ask this -- but I don't have a Clymers manual for my 85 Royale as of yet...

I need to check the trany fluid level -- and my feeble brain can't figure it out.

I had noticed some leakage about a week and a half ago after bringing the bike up to where I am staying during the week. It was on the right side dripping off the exhaust pipe -- which was strange since it was leaning left on the kick stand. It did not leak directly after parking it, but a few days later after having sat without being run. It has since stopped the leaking...

I do have it on the center stand now and the engine oil is very near the top line in the sight glass so I don't think it was engine oil unless that had been over filled. The coolant is where it should be (don't think it was coolant anyway) so the only thing left is the transmission...

Would someone point a quasi weekend mechanic in the right direction?

Thanks

Scott

Couple of ideas.

1. The oil level should be no higher than the center of the sight glass when on the center stand and on level ground.

2. The engine and transmission share the same oil system, there is no separation between engine and trany.

3. On the right side where you describe is the reservoir and master cylinder for the rear brake. Are you sure it was not brake fluid leaking?

yep my 85 hates being more than 1/2 way up the sight glass, if it is mine spits it out of the breather tube that drops down just in front of the back tire perhaps your tube was over the exhaust when it puked out the oil. a manual is available in the tech section here. and ill look for a link from the Euro Venture group that has manuals as well as the service manuals and post it here for you.

Brian

http://www.yamahaventure.nl/en/usermanuals.html

Edited by friesman
added link