IGNORED

coolant out of exhaust

My bike is burning coolant out the left pipe as you are sitting on the bike. I have not had a chance to determine which cylinder it is yet. Just a quick question for any one who may have seen this problem. Does the coolant circulate thru the head and jugs or just the jugs? Has any one had this problem with a second generation motor. I ride an 05 RSTD. Thanks in advance.

kickshot

Not an RSTD expert by a long shot, but if is like a 1st gen or VMax the coolant flows through the heads.

Picture attached is a half cleaned 97 VMax head. The long 8 obrourd holes are all coolant paths. Right side has been bead blasted, left is untouched.

I think you have a head gasket problem.

Anything where it shouldn't be in the radiator or the oil? Will look like foaming in oil. Radiator will have a dark colored slime at top.

Gary

If it is a head gasket that means the coolant is going thru the combustion chamber.

Pulling the plugs will tell you which cylinder, it will be the clean one.

If it is leaking into the cylinder do NOT start the engine. if there is a puddle of coolant and a different cylinder fires first it can hydro lock and snap a connecting rod. That happened to someone on here not to long ago. Also if it is getting into the cylinder you are probably getting some to leak into the oil, not good for the bearings.

If it is a head gasket that means the coolant is going thru the combustion chamber.

Pulling the plugs will tell you which cylinder, it will be the clean one.

If it is leaking into the cylinder do NOT start the engine. if there is a puddle of coolant and a different cylinder fires first it can hydro lock and snap a connecting rod. That happened to someone on here not to long ago. Also if it is getting into the cylinder you are probably getting some to leak into the oil, not good for the bearings.

+1 - He ain't no fool despite his name. Time for a tear down and head gasket replacement. Get a GOOD torque wrench.

RR

Pull off the fin cover for the left side. There are a couple of ruber seals that leak on occasion. If the coolant is coming out of the exhaust tip and is going thru the combustion chamber the exhaust will smoke like an SOB....

Gonna pull the plugs this weekend and figure out which cylinder the coolant is getting into. Yes I started it one morning this week and it started fogging out the left pipe as it warmed up and I mean alot. Thats how I knew it was coolant. If it was a Ford I'd be right at home but I have never been into my bikes engine yet. Other than the normal maintenance. Any way thanks for the information so far. I'll keep ya'll posted as I get it torn down and what I find. I just need to haul it to work and get time to do it. All my tools are at work and I really dont feel like doing it at home. Limited space to work here. Thanks again.

kickshot