IGNORED

To me the ultimate ride-new bike!!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

No I am not going to run off...I can assure all of you I plan to stay and pester all of you so......I have ordered a new GoldWing 2008 with everything but the airbag. I did this for a lot of reasons......I started riding motorcycles at age 14 when I raced for Yamaha......then moved on to street bikes and the Harley motorcycles.....I rode them for 18 years......then got disgusted with all the problems and started switching to this bike and that one...honda's, suzuki. and several Yamaha bikes including this latest Venture......to me Venture is a good name for it as it was a Venture!! I have had a lot of trouble with this particular bike, I know this is not the norm......but just the same it left a sour taste in my mouth......I fought the dealers to the ground and finally got my clutch basket and rear drive situation settled........now I have a new letter from Yamaha telling me they need to pull the motor and install new gaskets and re-torque the head bolts........this head gasket stuff I thought I left behind with Harley, at least with a new bike.....no I have not hidden this fact I took the letter to Carolina Honda and gave it to them as I am trading Crickett in on the new one. (I am honest to a fault) I like the looks of the Venture....the motor response......and the comfort........but it is a basic bike.......by the time you install this and that and this and that......before you know it......if you keep track.........you can easily put a few grand into making it street safe.

I went to Carolina Honda and they gave me a loaner bike that had ABS brakes.......I suppose that above many things helped me finally make my final choice in motorcycles......I even took the bike over to the church parking lot.......took an old cup with me and threw sand on the parking surface and kicked it around and made a mess......then ran the bike through it and hit the brakes........yep I can make it slip and grab and act a little like a squirrel.....but this is an extreme test and under the worst condition I could think of.............on smooth hard pavement.....you are not going to slip a wheel......just hit those brakes front and rear and be careful......it will stop you in a hurry!! So that was one selling point to me, I am getting older........more forgetful.......might be daydreaming one day and look up and oh sh.....T that bumper is awful close!!

The lighting on this bike is simply how can I say........the best in the world.......the rear has lights all over it......mine will have an additional spoiler with an LED light on that.......that is a total of about 8 lights on the back....counting the one we are putting on the license tag too...........the front has great big signal lights........huge bright headlights.......big functional mirrors...........a windshield you can adjust for different condtions, and lots of other stuff. But safety was my biggest decision on this particular bike or about 90 percent of it.........the perfect handling and low center of balance is just a bonus,but a very welcome addition.

Oh and to all you 1st Gen fellows......I know you all can outrun a 2nd Gen...but can assure you ......you cannot outrun an 1800 Honda mean machine motor......the first couple hours I played with it......I really had no desire to see what happened over 4000 rpm........last day taking it back I pushed it up there a bit......this thing will run .......way more power than I will ever use.......but is nice to have. Kit

Congrats to ya Kit. :cool10:I have some friends that have went to the

dark side and love it. If it wern't for me being 6'6" and a 35" inseam I might be on one too. They are truely rockets on 2 wheels. I just don't like the feet under riding position and I hit my knees on the fairing,so I'll just stay with Angel. Hope you enjoy the heck out of yours and be very very careful.:)

Congrats to ya Kit. :cool10:I have some friends that have went to the

dark side and love it. If it wern't for me being 6'6" and a 35" inseam I might be on one too. They are truely rockets on 2 wheels. I just don't like the feet under riding position and I hit my knees on the fairing,so I'll just stay with Angel. Hope you enjoy the heck out of yours and be very very careful.:)

I you chat with some of the seat makers they will customize a seat that will make the GW very comfortable. I have a friend that is a solid 7' (played center for Tulane - Go Green Wave!!) that rides a GW. He had the seat made and added some highway board extensions. I sat on it and couldn't even reach the highway boards - and I am 6'4" with 34" inseam.

However, in the end .... it's still not a Venture.

Kit, hang around. We enjoy your witty and insightful comments. However, be careful of challanging the first gen 1200 motor. It's a screamer. Although, the laws of physics might help you on this on - that 1800 has a lot of horses.

RR

Guest KitCarson
I you chat with some of the seat makers they will customize a seat that will make the GW very comfortable. I have a friend that is a solid 7' (played center for Tulane - Go Green Wave!!) that rides a GW. He had the seat made and added some highway board extensions. I sat on it and couldn't even reach the highway boards - and I am 6'4" with 34" inseam.

However, in the end .... it's still not a Venture.

Kit, hang around. We enjoy your witty and insightful comments. However, be careful of challanging the first gen 1200 motor. It's a screamer. Although, the laws of physics might help you on this on - that 1800 has a lot of horses.

RR

I honestly do not intend to offer a challenge........85 to 90 around a truck on the interstate is about as fast as I go anymore....I will just wave at that 1st Gen and maybe buy him lunch......tell him he wins!!!

Welcome to the Wonderful GL1800 World. They are everything you have discovered and more..... :smile5::smile5::smile5: I'm getting a bit long in the tooth also and my reaction time is slowing some. In 2006 I traded for an ABS model. Saved my from going down once just after I got it..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I went through all the troubles you spoke of back in 2000 with my first RSV but my wife's bad back was the final point that made me trade. She doesn't ride at all any more so I had a chance to pick up another 2000 MM Limited last summer and jumped at it.. Man I love the RSV.

The Wing and RSV are both tourers but in two different classes... I'm lucky to have both and a wife that lets me..... :whistling::whistling::whistling:

OH, don't get frustrated with the GPS. Give me a holler and I'll tell you a couple secrets...

Jerry

I test rode a wing before I bought my 03 and didn't like the foot under thing either and my inseam doesn't like it when I try to spread them far so the highway pegs didn't do it for me. The wings are a nice ride if that's your things. I'll stick with the Venture for now. Good luck with your new ride.

Kit. Congrats on the new bike. I've never owned a new one and I'm jealous. On the foot position issue, it's funny how it's different strokes for differnent folks. I'm 6'6" and still shrinking :), and actually perfer the seating position on the 1stGens. With the highway pegs way forward it gives me a lot of flexibility as to where I want to rest my feet. On long passages I usually rest the foot using the achilles tendon on top of the peg, and other times the instep... For the short rides and lots of shifting I'm happy keeping them tucked back under me. When I sit on a 2ndGen....yes folks I have sat on one without getting warts.... :rotf:the standard foot forward position just isn't as far forward as I'd like, to make it comfortable. The knees take a beating and really get to aching. It'll be interesting to hear how the Wing feels when someone tall is running down the road. And.... I'm sure we'll hear back from you on that one....:):)

Hey Kit,

Congratulations on your new bike. I have to give honda credit regarding the lighting on the goldwing. You don't have to worry about someone behind you seeing you. I test rode an 08 but it just doesn't suit me but it is an awesome bike. I would really like an ultra classic but I ride two up most of the time and my wife just won't go for the harley.

GOOD CHOICE!

I test drove two new wings before buying my new 08 HD Ultra. I loved the power and all the goodies on the GL1800. I'm not really sure why I went with the HD. I guess mostly because of the seating position. I really like to cruise with my feet out in front of my knees in stead on behind my knees. Because of the weather in NW Ohio I really have not been able to get much riding in yet but when I do I still plan to post my thoughts RSV-vs- HD Ultra.

I have an 05 GL1800 and a 91 Venture. I just can't part with my Venture. We mostly use the GL for two-up long distance trips, the wife has more room on it. I ride the Venture by myself alot. The GL1800 is an awesome touring machine...more power than you will ever need, great handling loaded, and great brakes. I can do more miles in a day on the GL, its a little less work than the Venture due to the lower center of gravity and easier handling.

i like a wing, but my legs won't take the foot peg position very long.other wise i would love to have one.i really like my v-star 1300 better than any bike ive ever had, when it comes to egonomics, excellent handling,and a smooth fast ride.it just does everything perfect. yamaha got this one exactly right the first time around.now they need to deck it out for touring. :)

Guest KitCarson

I am 5 foot 11.75 inches tall......6 and .25 inches with my riding boots on. My first impression was I did not like the more confined seating position.......my knees about three inches from the fairing.....but at my height this is all mental....it is fine after about two hours getting used to it.......my foot position is actually pretty much straight down......and I am putting floor boards and heel/toe shift on it........and also there is a three position highway peg that mounts on the front crash bar......want to stretch out your legs....that will work fine......I can see where if you are 6 foot 3 or taller......yep......this would be a problem......I have a 32 inch inseam.....and it fits me fine.....three more inches and would have to move the seat back or something. All of you with long legs will have to just stick to the 2nd Gen.....with all that room and big floorboards.......or put your heel on the front of the pegs on the 1st Gen........

I know how you feel Kit. My 86VR let me down 4 times last year & after fixin' e/thing, new tires, brakes, re-carbed, etc, etc., the Nav said she wants no part of it. Oh Well, Mama wants, mama gets.

She wanted all the comforts, with super reliability, so I set out for a newer scoot.

Came across a Wing that I couldn't turn down. Only 21k miles from original, particular owner who is also a Honda tech.

I put a post up a few days ago with a few pics under "I',m Popeye the Traitor Man..."

I like pegs way better than floorboards to adjust my leg angles [old bones & joints] & got 'em, but now, I have boards for highway pegs...that'll be a new experience for me.

The 6 cyl is sooo fast, but very comparable to my '86VR [i can't discern a second or two in a fast mile]. Mine is only 1520cc.

Bottom line....Mama's happy & we're ALWAYS 2up.

Very few choices for 2up Touring scoots.

The main factor for me was actually price. See you out there.

I test drove a goldwing.......SEVERAL TIMES last summer......

The mechanic at the dealership has a venture - and told me I'd regret riding the wing. He was ALMOST RIGHT......except that my legs cramped up on the wing....the riding position just wasn't right for me.....even though I have short legs.

I really like the wing......but I really like my venture too and didn't want to part with it :no-no-no:- and I have to say i was happy that my legs cramped up. It made my decision making process alot easier. That said.......I still find myself stopping and looking at them every time I drive by the dealership.

Kit, glad you are sticking around here. I've thought that the Yamaha Venture brought us together, but friendships, and riding whatever you have keeps this site going strong.

So your going with the king of touring bikes! I like the looks and all the features of the wing. We have Honda cars and they are outstanding. My decision to buy a Venture had to do with initial comfort for my 6'3" frame and the 5 year warranty. I'm going to keep riding this bike for awhile even though it lacks some things that I would like. Maybe down the road I'll look at the Wing.

Have fun with your new ride and maybe we can meet up if I ride down South.

Bob

My biggest problem with the Wing was with my inseam, only being 5'9" I needed to put my feet straight down to control the bike at a stop, and seeing the foot pegs are straight down I couldn't put my feet there.

Truthfully I like the looks of the Wing better, but it just didn't fit me as well.

ABS would be nice..

Final thing I have to say.. you should have got the air bag,, I've seen the videos from the testing, both early testing when Honda was using remote controlled GL1500s, and newer testing with pre-production remote controlled GL1800s. From both watching the videos, and seeing the impact information from the crash dummies they had strapped to the bikes. I'd say their air bag works.

Guest KitCarson
Hey Kit , I bet ya 2 bits to a hand-shake , the Wing will "Yellow"? I know that's your favorite color ! :cool10::cool10:

Congrats !

BEER30

Yep, that was one of my first questions, can it be bright yellow! But not available this year....and not projected for next year.......so I settled for Black......with tons of chrome...

Guest KitCarson
Kit, glad you are sticking around here. I've thought that the Yamaha Venture brought us together, but friendships, and riding whatever you have keeps this site going strong.

So your going with the king of touring bikes! I like the looks and all the features of the wing. We have Honda cars and they are outstanding. My decision to buy a Venture had to do with initial comfort for my 6'3" frame and the 5 year warranty. I'm going to keep riding this bike for awhile even though it lacks some things that I would like. Maybe down the road I'll look at the Wing.

Have fun with your new ride and maybe we can meet up if I ride down South.

Bob

The Yamaha Venture is what brought me to this site, I was having a lot of trouble with the clutch basket thing and was looking for answers. This site is dedicated to Venture Riders and their bikes, and naturally most will develop a loyalty to the Venture. I myself have no such loyalty to any machine, or hunk of metal, but do have loyalties to people I might happen to like. The Venture was a means of introduction, the people are the real treasure. I rode Harley's for a long time, and in real life, or on the internet and without getting into all the particulars......the folks on this site, and in real life, are simply a cut above the average Bear, not sure why that is.....just a fact....