The trunk on my 83 VR has not closed great since I bought it. It looks like the p.o. let it

tumble off the bike while driving. The gaps on the top and bottom halves, don't match up when you close the lid. Has anyone tried to tweek the cases on these bikes? I have tried but I am a little scared of breaking them.

Can't help with the how to. I'm wondering if it would fit in an oven to warm up a bit so you can flex it?

But as far as being afraid to break it.....sounds like it's broken already so what have you got to lose?

ABS has a molded memory, and doesn't bend out of shape unless it's held in one position for a very long time and it takes a set. I wonder if it's not the hinges that may be tweeked or the metal lip between the two halves being out of shape. Another thing you might try is loosen all mounting hardware and see if the halves close right. The bottom may be torque because of misaligned brackets??

Can't help with the how to. I'm wondering if it would fit in an oven to warm up a bit so you can flex it?

But as far as being afraid to break it.....sounds like it's broken already so what have you got to lose?

I may try the oven idea...as a last resort. It is still functional so I'm trying not to make it worse.

ABS has a molded memory, and doesn't bend out of shape unless it's held in one position for a very long time and it takes a set. I wonder if it's not the hinges that may be tweeked or the metal lip between the two halves being out of shape. Another thing you might try is loosen all mounting hardware and see if the halves close right. The bottom may be torque because of misaligned brackets??

Great ideas, thanks...I'll try that first. It turns out after talking to the previous owner, the trunk came off the bike while it was being trailered. It tumbled on the road, missed a car by inches, and went into the ditch. Before that, there was not a scratch on it, so now I'm thinking maybe a hinge got tweeked or the frame around the openings.

Yup! You ain't gonna straighten that one out! Time for a replacement. You may want to consider a larger MK2 (or '85) trunk. The conversion is not that difficult to do but you will need a mounting rack from an '85 or cut the arms off of a MK2 one and you need the longer antenna arm...

there is ONE possible try to fix it. Remove the hidges 1st. If it still don't line up. Then remove the aluminum trim. There are tiny screws holding the trim on. I suggest top, check then bottom. Then if things line up better...you need to CAREFULLY bent the trim "back" the way it belongs. It will be a PITA

Edited by jasonm.