IGNORED

Trailer Project

Royalstargazer

Well its almost done. A few odds and ends and we'll be using it. It started as A Harbor Freight trailer. I narrowed the frame 10". Built the base out of 1/2" plywood and the shell out of 1/4" luan. Wrapped the whole thing in fiberglass and bondo to smooth it out. Used the trunk hinges out of a Ford Taurus. Opened up the reflector between the saddlebags from a 1st Gen Venture, and installed led tail/brake/turn signals for the rear lighting. Along with the trunk hinges I got the electric trunk release, so no keys to get into the trailer. Painted the whole interior white, and plan to install a white led strip for the inside. Also have a remnant of carpeting that need to be cut to fit. Then I'm off to the scales to see how much it weights. I'm guessing around 225 lbs give or take. Then the next decision is a swivel coupler. If I really need it or not. The only trailer I have pulled had one, so I will probably get one. But thats it, in a nutshell. Been an ongoing project for about two years now. Will be glad to finally see how it works.

Edited by Royalstargazer
Added a picture

Guest tx2sturgis

Its a good looking trailer, and you sure put a lot of work in it, but with that broad, flat nose, its gonna catch a lot of wind, and also it will bounce the noise of your exhaust back to your ears. If your bike is quiet and/or you wear a helmet, this might not be an issue.

Have you thought about some type of wedge-shaped or pointed front that might wrap around a cooler or maybe a spare tire?

Years ago I pulled a medium sized trailer that also had a flat front, and I finally had to design and build a wedge-shaped front piece for it.

Let us know how it pulls!

Its a good looking trailer, and you sure put a lot of work in it, but with that broad, flat nose, its gonna catch a lot of wind, and also it will bounce the noise of your exhaust back to your ears. If your bike is quiet and/or you wear a helmet, this might not be an issue.

I've been through some strong winds with my big trailer and never noticed the trailer was back there. I do hear the exhaust a bit when in the throttle hard but it's not bad(RK muff's).

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx250/C-M_Motorsports/Trailer1.jpg

Have you thought about some type of wedge-shaped or pointed front that might wrap around a cooler or maybe a spare tire?

Years ago I pulled a medium sized trailer that also had a flat front, and I finally had to design and build a wedge-shaped front piece for it.

Let us know how it pulls!

Brian,

The front of the trailer is curved just like the top. I thought about the wind drag when I designed it. Kind of designed to mimic the shape of my trunk.

Fine job !!!!!!!!!!!

Should hold up well coated with fiberglass, do you have a mud flap to prevent stone chips? I found the trailers take a beating.

I do have a mudflap on the bike, but I plan to put a vinyl stone guard on the front of the trailer. They make one with a diamond plate aluminum pattern that I thought would look cool.

Might think about maybe something like the spray in bedlinner stuff. I know they make some sort of clear coat type stuff like that. Might be lighter to do say the lower 4 or so inches in that then added weight of more alum.

Might think about maybe something like the spray in bedlinner stuff. I know they make some sort of clear coat type stuff like that. Might be lighter to do say the lower 4 or so inches in that then added weight of more alum.

Its not aluminum. Its sheet graphics vinyl that looks like aluminum.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a trip around the block with it today. About 45 miles. Seemed to tow fine empty up to about 65mph. Weighted in @ 237lbs. I think empty it doesn't have enough tongue weight. Alot of rattling in the reciever going down the road. Might have to add a cooler rack to the front.