IGNORED

Testing coils off a bike

I have 4 coils on one of my parts bikes and would like to pull them and keep them in case somebody needs them.

Is there a way/procedure to test and check them off the bike or on the none running bike ? :confused24:

V7Goose was in the process of testing coils. He had asked for people to send them their supposed "Bad" coils to see if he could check resistances and make some determinations.

I don't know if he had/has a test procedure for testing them or not. May want to shoot him a PM if he doesn't get to this post.

You can measure the resistances with a good ohms meter. The primary winding should have 2.7 ohms + or – 10% at 68 * F. The secondary winding resistances should be 13.2K ohms + or – 20% at 68*.

Earl

It is fairly easy to check resistance and if that fails the coil is bad. BUT and this is a big but there is a big difference between the 1/4 volt used by the DVOM to test resistance and the 20,000 volts produced in the coil. In other words the coil could be arching internally and the resistance test would just plain miss it. There are testers that can plug into a coil and make them spark while testing their output. These are generally the most accurate,,, and expensive.

Mike