IGNORED

Help with front fairing cracking

tomephil

Hi,

I'm on the, Ong way to the international and now have a problem ihave to deal with in regards to my front fairing windshield holes cracking. A few were cracked when I left but they seemed ok. I received a clearview windshield just before I left. I needed to retighen a few bolts 2 days ago and iused blue lock tight but the windshield started making noise again today. Whdni check ked I found other middle left inside hole badly spidered. I am on the road in Towanda Pennsylvania so I don't have a workshop to deal with this. As of now my plan is to find some aluminum screen material and a solderinggun,during iron and see if I can melt some sport into. Where the plastic is badly spidered. Does anyone have any better (workable) ideas?

Dang.... not a clue, hope you can limp it to some members house that could maybe help you out with a fix. Ride safe and good luck.

K

Hi,

I'm on the, Ong way to the international and now have a problem ihave to deal with in regards to my front fairing windshield holes cracking. A few were cracked when I left but they seemed ok. I received a clearview windshield just before I left. I needed to retighen a few bolts 2 days ago and iused blue lock tight but the windshield started making noise again today. Whdni check ked I found other middle left inside hole badly spidered. I am on the road in Towanda Pennsylvania so I don't have a workshop to deal with this. As of now my plan is to find some aluminum screen material and a solderinggun,during iron and see if I can melt some sport into. Where the plastic is badly spidered. Does anyone have any better (workable) ideas?

I'm sorry to hear this. It's no help now but I wish you had asked or done a search on this before using the blue Locktite. It has been stated many times here that Locktite cannot be used anywhere near the plastic. This includes Locktite of any color. I don't have to tell you what will happen if you do.

I'm not posting this to rub it in but to hopefully warn others who may still not know this.

I'm sorry to hear this. It's no help now but I wish you had asked or done a search on this before using the blue Locktite. It has been stated many times here that Locktite cannot be used anywhere near the plastic. This includes Locktite of any color. I don't have to tell you what will happen if you do.

I'm not posting this to rub it in but to hopefully warn others who may still not know this.

High Don,

As far as I know the lock tight didn't touch the plastic. I put a drop on the threads to keep the bolt from loosening up. I now have to figure out a road fix.

PB and J was parting out his 85, i bought the left side ferom him, he may still have the right side if that will help. He is in New York and I think was headed ti the INTL meet.

Brian

Thanks Brian but this is for my 2000 venture.

I don't have a great answer to your problem but the most popular method around here for plastic repair seems to be a product called Plastex. Your idea with the screen may be a good solution but you will still need something to bind it. I know what you mean about softening the plastic and mashing the screen into it but I think that rebuilding the plastic with the Plastex could be a better solution.

I understand what you are saying about being careful of not getting the Locktite on the plastic and using it only on the threads but I think even the fumes from the Locktite is enough to damage plastic. In the future, just be sure to keep it well away from the plastic. There are other products better suited to that purpose.

Did you use the longer screws supplied with the windshield? Also there should have been some plastic collars. I found some metal collars from a 1st gen that I used instead and they worked out pretty good. You can repair your plastic with the 2 part plastic epoxy (ABS) available at Auto Zone, etc. for about $7. Mix up a glob of it and you can use it as filler and drill, sand or file it, it literally makes new plastic. It cures quite fast, in about 10 minutes or so, and you can only work with it for around 5 minutes or less...

Any kind of epoxy will work, from JBWelds JBKwik (which it seems our AZ sells the industrial size now) to JBPlastikWeld. All can be sanded etc, after they have cured (NOT DRIED) cured. Learned THAT one the hard way.................................................

I did the same dang thing....then found out that you cannot use loctite of any kind on abs plastic. I was able to take some JB weld and patch up the areas. This takes time and you will have to make a form of some kind to hold the JB weld in place to cure. Takes about 24hrs to cure. Good Luck

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Tom, McGivered the front fairing and we put it all back together, seemed to work pretty well. Had a great day yesterday working on the bike and swapping stories. Woke up this am and rode to breakfast, then we rode some local back roads North and east to get him up to 209. We said our goodbyes and I headed home, and he continued his journey to Nova Scotia. Had a chance to meet and make a new friend, thats what I believe this site is all about, turned out to be a great weekend! And the cost... "PRICELESS"

Looking forward to hearing trip updates from Tom as it sounds like he is on an awesome adventure, if he passes by your area you owe it to yourself to have coffee with him, he is a great guy:clap2:

Craig

Tom, McGivered the front fairing and we put it all back together, seemed to work pretty well. Had a great day yesterday working on the bike and swapping stories. Woke up this am and rode to breakfast, then we rode some local back roads North and east to get him up to 209. We said our goodbyes and I headed home, and he continued his journey to Nova Scotia. Had a chance to meet and make a new friend, thats what I believe this site is all about, turned out to be a great weekend! And the cost... "PRICELESS"

Looking forward to hearing trip updates from Tom as it sounds like he is on an awesome adventure, if he passes by your area you owe it to yourself to have coffee with him, he is a great guy:clap2:

Craig

My version,

I am having problem with my fairing plastic. Mostly my fault. Craig offers his garage space and tools. He spends most of Saturday and Sundays morning with me and “we“ were able to fair the problem... All far so good. He and his family welcome me awesome!! Thank you Craig And family. Your hospitality and welcome mean a ton to me!

Which brings me to ragtop69gs. He found out that I was traveling through his area and did the same thing!

Jay and family, wow, you have to understand how much I appreciate the welcome and hospitality!

Now is someone can tell me how to stop my playbook from trying to correct my spelling mistakes into something completely different... Ahhhhh! Please read what you think I am saying.

Craig, good idea I am going to try to start a post on my progress.

Tom:canada:

Edited by tomephil
Playbook doesn't like me