IGNORED

bmw r1150gs

Redneck

Fantastic bikes. Be careful with the 2006/07 (IIRC) 1200GS with the servo assist ABS. BMW had some issues with the servos on these. The servo assist (EVO) on the 1150's worked well. Be careful though, the brakes are VERY effective. The GS' are a solid bike with lots of aftermarket support.

It is a completely different ride than a Venture. Upright seating position, less wind protection, gobs of power, handles like on rails, good gas mileage, reliable. Can carry a lot of stuff with a fairly high GVWR. Large stator output to run lots of extras.

Been looking for one myself. Ridden my Dad's a few times and it is a wonderful ride.

RR

Edited by RedRider

Redneck and Red Rider...and all the other Red's out there...

The R1200GS is a very good bike. I had a 2005 R12GS, and loved it. It was a bit heavy in the dirt, but the ergonomics of the bike are great. Many riders use the R/GS platform as a great endurance/long distance bike, as in IronButt Rallies and endurance rallies. There are so many aftermarket accessories for these bikes.

There are some mechanical issues to be aware of, but overall a good bike.

I sold mine...missed it (doesn't that always happen) and now I have a Yamaha Super Tenere' in my lineup. The S10 (that what we all call it) is a very good bike, and I do not anticipate the mechanical issues the beemer had, and a lot lower cost of ownership on the S10.

Before you buy a BMW R1200GS, take a close look at the Yamaha S10.

:whistling:

Thanks for the responses. I had a 2008 klr650 that I liked but it was not very comfortable after a couple hours on the road. I miss the ability to explore dirt roads and tame trails and still be able to ride all day on the road. This is not a replacement for the venture or the harley just an other toy in the box for different purposes.

I bought this a few minutes ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648&item=120931181015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks for the responses. I had a 2008 klr650 that I liked but it was not very comfortable after a couple hours on the road. I miss the ability to explore dirt roads and tame trails and still be able to ride all day on the road. This is not a replacement for the venture or the harley just an other toy in the box for different purposes.

I bought this a few minutes ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648&item=120931181015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

You got a great buy on that.

Let me know if it doesn't live up to your expectations. I may be interested in taking it off your hands. Might even throw in a trade for another 2008 KLR with a Sargent seat (and bar risers, peg lowering, raising links - I'm tall).

Enjoy.

RR

You got a great buy on that.

Let me know if it doesn't live up to your expectations. I may be interested in taking it off your hands. Might even throw in a trade for another 2008 KLR with a Sargent seat (and bar risers, peg lowering, raising links - I'm tall).

Enjoy.

RR

If it doesn't fit me I figured I could get out of it without loosing anything. I'm kinda tall myself 6"5 with 38 inseam.

If it doesn't fit me I figured I could get out of it without loosing anything. I'm kinda tall myself 6"5 with 38 inseam.

I would be honored to get first shot. My son lives in Austin and can help if it comes to that.

I am a mere waif compared to you. 6'4" with 34 inseam.

RR

Yes very impressive and definetly a little too much for me. Sure looked like fun though

Brad

Come on now everybody knows you canuks have all the money.:stirthepot: Come on down and we will let you shoot some pistols and ride a beamer.

I would be honored to get first shot. My son lives in Austin and can help if it comes to that.

I am a mere waif compared to you. 6'4" with 34 inseam.

RR

If it doesn't fit I will let you know. I'm heading to Kerrville TX in the morning to pick it up.

I am sure it will "fit" you, my brother has been riding a 1200 gs for 6 years. He is 6'3 and well over 300 lb. He has no issue with his size on it. What he has had issues with was the dependability of his first one... an 06. I have often said the best thing that ever happened to me was him buying a bmw..... I got to ride sooooo many loner bikes from his dealer it was great experience. The 06 I did not like to ride, not my style, he loved it until at around 60,000Km the motor dynamited, a valve broke and destroyed everything internally. He had taken an extended warranty and they paid most of the repairs but ended up trading it for a 2012 gsa model. He still loves his bmw.