IGNORED

If you own a ford v-6 read this!

Trader

Now they say (a different dealer) the catalytic converters are plugged up from the computer causing a misfire for so long.

Another $2100.

:mo money::mo money::mo money:

That's about 1/2 the value of the vehicle I've spent now.

But what can you do? I'm so far in now I can't afford to scrap it and buy another car.

That sounds WAY high for exhaust.

You can verify that by taking it to a muffler shop and have them put test tubes in thier place. If all the power is back then that is correct. Had that happen to me on a 75 caprice classic. I just replaced the exhaust system with duals and left them off.

For whatever it is worth, I have a 2005 Escape LTD with V-6. I have had it serviced by Ford since new and it now has 129,000+ miles. Never had a problem with it. Two years ago we bought a Mercury Mariner with the same engine and love both of them.

:farmer:

If you remove the cats you will also get a check engine light on any OBDII vehicle. The computer compares the output from the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifolds and the O2 sensor(s) after the catalytic comvertors, and if the converters are NOT consuming enough oxygen, then the computer thinks the convertors are bad and turns on the check engine light. The car will run OK with this fault, but you can't pass an emissions test with the check engine light on.

If you have a bad miss, unburnt fuel will be dumped into the convertors and burned there. THis will create a lot of heat in the converter and can cause it to fall apart. Heck, they sometimes fall apart without a miss. My 1997 Taurus has a weak convertor. If my wife does too much city driving I get a check engine fault (bad convertor) and the car has a loud exhaust. I'd 'assume' that the convertor has fallen apart inside. Now we drove it 550 miles yesterday and the check engine light went out about 15 miles after we left home and stayed out the entire trip. After we get back home, it'll probably come back on in a week or two. To get it to pass the last test, I took it on the highway and the light went out. Then I went for the test and it passed OK.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest episode....here we are a couple of weeks later and the check engine light came on.

Took it to the dealer and at first they were saying the Cat that they replaced looked to be bad so they would be covering it for free.

Then they changed their minds and said "Nope....it's the other one" They already had changed 2 previously ($2100) and this one is

$1200 and 3 hours labour.

By the time this is done I'll be into repair bills on this #### car for 4 1/2 grand !:bawling: