IGNORED

First PGR Mission

ediddy

Last week I participated in my first mission. It was a KIA. I knew what the PGR is about but I didn't expect to be emotionally drained afterwards. When I saw the flag drapped coffin being unloaded from the plane it almost put me on my knees. I can't imagine what the family was feeling. Since the mission was local I went to the airport for the arrival of the body, stood in the flag line at the viewing at the funeral home and rode in the funeral possession. There were over 150 motorcycles that showed up. It was an awesome display of caring. The Westboro Church posted on their web site that they were going to be at the church the day of the funeral, but they didn't show up. One of the ride captains said she hadn't seen any of the WBC people show up in about two years. They had a permit to picket at a church in Marietta, GA. The church was a small church and when they realized how many PGR riders were coming they realized they couldn't handle all of them so they moved the services to the First Baptist Church in Marietta. When the Westboro people showed up at the small church no one was there. They found out the services had been moved to the First Bapist Church so they went there but were told they didn't have a permit there and would be arrested if they didn't leave. I talked to a guy from Phenix City, Al that said he bad been on the road for 14 days going to missions. I told him I didn't expect to experience the emotional drain and he said you never get used to it. Go Patriot Guard!

good for you. My first mission was a kia. And your friend was wright. You never get used to it but you do come to realise its good for the soul. For me it a management of some of my stronger emotions . I have come to realise that the things that set me off in the past are nothing to what that soldier has seen/done and given up for the likes of me.

Ride proud and safe. The pgr is a greta group of folks nation wide.

David

I've only been to a few missions myself but everytime it has left me feeling that I should do more. I see the families grieve and it just tears my heart out. But in the end, I feel like it's the least I can do for those that have given the ultimate sacrifice. Ride on brother and keep on standing for those that have stood for us!!!

My first KIA Mission was 1 1/2 weeks ago. It was for a personal friend of our family's, and my daughter who served with him rode with me. I can never see it getting easier, but well worth it for the families. They really do appreciate it.

Good Job. I would love to "deal" with those pukes from Westboro Baptist.

Edidie, congratulations on your first mission, I too was surprised how emotional I got while standing in the flag line at the airport here in Newnan, and then at the Chruch during the funeral service. It is not surprising to see all the people wiping tears away when standing, I wear my heart on my sleeve and it gets to me every time............It makes me proud to see all the people that line the streets when they transport the remains from one place to the other. Its unbelievable the outpouring of support the communities show when these fine young men and women return home. I am proud to be a member of PGR, it is such an outstanding group of people, and they are the only group that I would put on top of the list above VR. We have a lot of PGR members here and I am proud to be a member of both.

Back about 5 or 6 years ago when we lived in Michigan, I was approached by one of our then members Kurt Mayer "VenturaCowboy" who was PGR's National Director of Public Relations. We met here on the site and became friends and talked often. He asked of me a favor, and a quite large one at that. Michigan didn't have a state captain yet, and it had it's first KIA. He asked me to represent the PGR in this funeral, with the guidance of Ohio's state captain Bob "Taters" Smith.

Those who know me, know I dont have a problem talking with folks. I will say that going up to a grieving widow and her family and presenting them with a plaque for her fallen husband, was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. When I did the 2nd mission, it wasn't any easier, as the WBC was there as well.

It is a very worthwhile group and I only wish I had more time to devote to supporting them directly by standing the line. Good on all of you that have stood for our fallen warriors....

A couple of tips...

We don't ever refer to the fallen as "the body". They are called by name, or by rank, or both. Further, we don't refer to the folks from Kansas by name. They will get no publicity from the PGR. They are Uninvited Guests, or UG's. Nothing more.

Thanks for caring enough to turn your feelings into actions.