IGNORED

Capital One credit card ...trouble!

barend

I keep two cards, Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) and USAA.

Got to be a veteran. No fees, decent interest and they don't screw around.

I was talking to Choice Hotels last night about my "points". They guy then offered a gazillion points if I got a card through them - nope, not even for a gazillion points!

I have a Capital One card going on twenty years. Is has the lowest interest rate of the three cards I have. I don't have a balance run much more that a couple months occasionally with a large purchase. Capital One has been excellent whenever there is suspicious activity on my card to call me immediately. Couple months ago someone had used my card in another state at a Best Buy and twenty minutes later attempted another large purchase. They called me and asked if I had authorized the purchases and stopped the second transaction in it's steps. Within a couple days the first transaction was removed from my account. The instintly cancelled my account and issued a new card to me. I was pleased with the service as this has happened to me three of the past four years. Capital One has always took care of the problems quickly and reissued a new card. The first time someone attempted to make a $2000 donation to the March of Dimes. Capital one called my work number and stopped the transaction immediately. They said they never saw me do that before and got flagged as suspicious activity really fast.

I have not had a problem with Capitol One or any of my credit cards.I would much rather use a credit card then a debit card.I don't carry cash only credit cards.It's the only way I can track my spending habits to the detail.Using multiple banks it's fun having them compete for your business. Use your power of negotiation to lower interest rates,match other card offers and get fixed for life single digit balance transfers if you need it.If you travel on vacation take a few extra cards with you.I also use Quicken to budget,schedule my payments and bills.Takes all the stress out of licking stamps and juggling bills.I carry a line of credit equal to or greater then my annual income. Now that is power but maybe not for everyone.Credit cards is a great way to increase your credit score just keep your utilization low and your score will go up.

Personally I would never, ever use Capital One again. In the early 90's we had some financial problems and fell behind with some accounts, Capital One being one of them. We owed a modest amount to them as well as several other credit card accounts. Every one of the credit accounts was willing to work with me by providing a more flexible payment schedule EXCEPT Capital One. Soon after the harassing phone calls started. Even when I was home sick in bed the calls continued. I pleaded with them to work with me and that im not able to work for several weeks. They actually laughed over the phone. I requested the guys name and work location so that I could personally deliver the money owed directly to him. He refused, saying that I was threatening him. Threatening who? I dont even know your full name? He hung up. The calls continued by someone else until I sent a registered letter to Capital one. They violated so many laws but they didnt seem to care. Once back at work I paid the account in full and told them to shove the card up their reps butt, but in a nice way. I didnt want to be threatening to them again. So, Capital One......kiss my arse

b4 i did away with my land line i use to have credit card ppl call all the time, I got feed up with it and decided the next 1 that called would get a surprise. well sure enuff 1 called I answered the phone and said who is this and why are u calling, then I hollered HEY don't move that body yet, then asked the rep how do u know the deceased? I'm Sargent Able with the ABI instigating a homicide ... the rep goes to studdering and says i'm with visa credit card, I said sure you are now how do u know the victim and did u kill him to collect the insurance on his visa? i ask her name and said did u have an intimate relations with the victim? she said no I'm just a visa rep i don't know the guy. I said well u have his home phone number and are calling HIS house..I need your full name & address...she hangs up...

another day 1 called and I told the lady, OMG i'm so glad u called u are an answer to prayer, i lost my job, my wife left with my best friend, I just got off suicide watch and they are foreclosing on my house, how quick can u get me a card? silence then the rep said I'm sorry i have the wrong number...

I miss messing with those ppl... :cool10:

Edited by midnightrider1300

Ruff I'll keep that in mind. Capitol one just took over my GM and Yamaha Cards about $19,000 line of credit.I don't carry a balance on those so I'm good just wait and see. I did use my original Capitol one platinum to buy new glasses last month but I'll pay that off.I remember back in 08 Banks were reducing lines of credit and cancelling unused cards. Now there trying to give it all back!

I just got a Capitol One to use for gas on trips to save having to go in and pay go back out pump gas then go back for change. Used it going to MD this time after Capt Joe showed me how. They told me there was nop annual fee. I'll keep a eye on this one!!

I've been through similar things over the years and have learned what you have to do when dealing with companies. First, get the name of the person you talk to and document the date and time. I even ask for their extension number. If I have to send a letter I keep a copy of the letter. Last and most important, never, never assume that someone does what they tell you they will do. I follow up with a phone call in 7 days and keep following up until I confirm it has been done. It's a shame you have to do this but you can't rely on someone doing what they say they will do.

and always send any correspondence in writing (not email) and sent it certified, where they have to sign for it.