IGNORED

Intercom installed?

Since I just picked up this 85 Royale I have a question regarding the "intercom". The intercom shows on the audio controls but I do not see any plugs for it for the head gear.

Is there any easy way to tap in, or for that matter to actually know if they bike is equipped with an intercom system?

newbie thanks you :)

Scott

The intercom is intergrated into the audio system. If you have the radio and amplifier, the intercom works with them. You have to have headsets in order for it to work and it's voice activated.

The volume is controller by the main knob and the sensitivity is adjusted by the slider on the outside of the knob.

Dave

The intercom is intergrated into the audio system. If you have the radio and amplifier, the intercom works with them. You have to have headsets in order for it to work and it's voice activated.

The volume is controller by the main knob and the sensitivity is adjusted by the slider on the outside of the knob.

Dave

Don't have the headsets - didn't come with the bike so will have to get a set. But I guess my question would be better phrased -- where do they get plugged in?

If all of the original equipment is there.... the driver's helmet attaches to a 5-pin din plug that comes from the amplifier (under the radio/left fairing) up and is usually attached to the left side of the false tank cover.

The passenger headset plugs into a box that is mounted to the lower front left side of the trunk. The box has a second plug (7-pin din I think) where a controller for the passenger also attaches. There is also a 5-pin din plug that runs to the amplifier under the passenger seat.

Dave

The 83,84, and 85's don't have a controller for the passenger, that was new thing in 86. Your 85 would just have a 5 pin wire going to the back where the passenger can plug in. It's a separate plug into the amplifier. Amplifier has 4 plug in's 1 driver, 2 passenger, 3 tape deck, 4 radio. The radio looks to be part and parcel with the amp, but if you look closely, they are 2 separate units tied together.

Thanks. Looks like they have been removed then. I'll have to see about getting the parts to hook them back up. Nothing up front at all and have checked the back for the passenger and it just isn't there.

Scott

An option that was probably was not ever installed... You need the install kit.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-YV-41

The 83,84, and 85's don't have a controller for the passenger, that was new thing in 86. Your 85 would just have a 5 pin wire going to the back where the passenger can plug in. It's a separate plug into the amplifier. Amplifier has 4 plug in's 1 driver, 2 passenger, 3 tape deck, 4 radio. The radio looks to be part and parcel with the amp, but if you look closely, they are 2 separate units tied together.

So if a guy had an 86 with the connector mounted on the false tank cover... what kind of head set would he want to purchase? :whistling:

There are a few to choose from, like EDsets, J&M, maybe a few other makes. With the J&M, you will need the 5 pin lower cord, to connect the headset itself to the interface cable & there are various models of headsets to choose from.

Sorry, Scott. I failed to note that you had a 1985 bike, so my suggestions may not be applicable. Maybe could be made to work, though?

Here's another that should be applicable to your bike, though. It's the cord from the amplifier to the false tank for the driver. It's NOS Yamaha and while I can't guarantee that you can get it for starting price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Venture-NOS-accessory-lead-OEM-NEW-26H-88197-00-Venture-Royal-XVZ1300-/200768724351?hash=item2ebebf9d7f&item=200768724351&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Sorry, Scott. I failed to note that you had a 1985 bike, so my suggestions may not be applicable. Maybe could be made to work, though?

Here's another that should be applicable to your bike, though. It's the cord from the amplifier to the false tank for the driver. It's NOS Yamaha and while I can't guarantee that you can get it for starting price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Venture-NOS-accessory-lead-OEM-NEW-26H-88197-00-Venture-Royal-XVZ1300-/200768724351?hash=item2ebebf9d7f&item=200768724351&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Yup, he could get only 1 cable for $??.?? + shipping, or the YV-41 install kit (both cables, noise filter, ect) for $51. + shipping. :2cents: