Not a dumb question at all, here are some of the differences

The Royale model came with most if not all of the following, factory CB with AM/FM cassette, The class electronic air suspension system, Cruise control...I think that was about it. Other than those few extras, the bikes are identical to eachother.

If I have forgotten anything the 1st genners will chime in and let me know what I forgot. Always remember, there are no dumb questions here except for the ones you dont ask. If you have problems navigating the site feel free to PM myself or any of the other Moderators and we'll get you steered in the right direction :happy34:

To see the difference go thru the photo galleries and look at the "dash" of the bikes. You will notice the layout is a bit different on the royale to accomodate the onboard air suspension and cb. The location of some dash lights are different as well. Plus there is two storage bags that hang from the fairing which would be right above your knees when sitting on the bike. As far as I know they always offered a standard model and a royale. I know this because I have an 86 and it is the standard model, and the style of my bike was carried right thru till the end in 93.. If you are looking at my picks tho you will have to note that the previous owner installed a cb on my bike...

I'm not sure, but I think that all Ventures after 84 were Royales. With all the bells and whistles. I tried looking in the Venture History section but it didn't mention that.

My 86 was a standard, NO CB, No Radio, and No Class (Read into this one as you see fit :stirthepot:)

I think 86 was the last year of the standards. I think the Royals also had the little pouches on the Fairing by your knees.

Brad

'87 comes in Royale & Venture. I have an '87 Venture. The quickest way to tell is if it has the CLAS air suspension; you should have a couple of small air lines going to the forks from an air pump buried in the bike on a Royale; the Venture has a valve mounted near the ignition to adjust air pressure in the front forks manually. But a lot of Ventures have been modified by previous owners; changed plastics, added/removed radios, etc. The Venture won't have the Royale badges, but if the plastics have been changed this might not help.

If you look at the parts list on Yamaha's website, the models listed with a D before the model, (XVZ1300DT) are Royale's while the Venture has no D (XVZ1300T). The California models have a C at the end. '87 Ventures are model T's.

Doesn't help much if you don't know which bike you have. But most of the parts work for both.

'87 comes in Royale & Venture. I have an '87 Venture. The quickest way to tell is if it has the CLAS air suspension;

Doesn't help much if you don't know which bike you have. But most of the parts work for both.

Agree on the Clas system, but when were the standards not built anymore. I thought they stopped making them somewhere along the line ?

BRad