Ever have a starter just get really weak? Like too weak to turn the engine over?

Working on my 83 which I personnally have never heard run. Acts like a really weak battery but I charge the battery AND add a fully charged jump box on it and still, the solenoid clicks but the starter does nothing. Occasionally it will drag the motor over really really slow about half a turn then stop.

I upgraded to 4 gauge cables when I put it back together after the trans upgrade. I pulled the starter off and laying in the floor it spins great. No indications of an issue at all. Back on the bike and stick the jump box directly on the starter and it still does the same thing. Oh and I did the internal ground mod while I had the starter off, still no difference.

The motor turns free by hand, no issue. The starter reduction gears are in there correct and not binding. It just acts like the starter don't have enough power to do the job. I've narrowed down everything I know to do and it seems to me like it's simply a weak starter. I know the newer 4 brush starters are the way to go, but I thought I'd run this by the guru's and see if I may be missing something.

I sounds like you have most of the bases covered.

Make sure the starter has a good ground. Even though you did the internal ground mod the starter case still needs a good ground to the engine. If it was off for a long time it is possible that the mating surfaces have some slight corossion.

Thats the only other thing I can think of.

I sounds like you have most of the bases covered.

Make sure the starter has a good ground. Even though you did the internal ground mod the starter case still needs a good ground to the engine. If it was off for a long time it is possible that the mating surfaces have some slight corossion.

Thats the only other thing I can think of.

Thanks for the advice. The surfaces are very very clean (because I cleaned them with emory cloth) and I also moved the ground cable directly to the starter rather than on the engine case.

Still, the jump box directly on the starter itself (both ground and positive) trumps any wire/cable issues completely.