IGNORED

Brake pads off ebay

Condor

About a year ago I picked up 3 pairs of brake pads for future use off Ebay. Hey..the price was right. Anyway, lately I'd been getting a little chattering noise out of the right front caliper, and since I had the the front tire off and down to the store for warantee work, I thought I'd go ahead and toss in another set of pads. Well..... I took out a set of pads and they wouldn't fit. Close, but no cigar.... The width was a few thousands over tolerance, and the thru holes were a few thousands undersized. I did a little shade tree adjusting on them and finally got them to slide in, but they still didn't feel right. I held one up to the the EBC pads I had just removed, and the radius at the bottom was right on on one end and off on the other. 'Bout then I went on down to my local shop and picked up another set of EBC's. They slipped right in. They might have cost more, but I have a lot more confidence in their working. I actually still had a record of the Ebay sale and fired off a email to the seller...he's still actively selling... warning him about possible liability issue. We'll see how he handles it. Just thought other members would like to know about my experience with non-major brand pads on Ebay.

About a year ago I picked up 3 pairs of brake pads for future use off Ebay. Hey..the price was right. Anyway, lately I'd been getting a little chattering noise out of the right front caliper, and since I had the the front tire off and down to the store for warantee work, I thought I'd go ahead and toss in another set of pads. Well..... I took out a set of pads and they wouldn't fit. Close, but no cigar.... The width was a few thousands over tolerance, and the thru holes were a few thousands undersized. I did a little shade tree adjusting on them and finally got them to slide in, but they still didn't feel right. I held one up to the the EBC pads I had just removed, and the radius at the bottom was right on on one end and off on the other. 'Bout then I went on down to my local shop and picked up another set of EBC's. They slipped right in. They might have cost more, but I have a lot more confidence in their working. I actually still had a record of the Ebay sale and fired off a email to the seller...he's still actively selling... warning him about possible liability issue. We'll see how he handles it. Just thought other members would like to know about my experience with non-major brand pads on Ebay.

never bought anything off ebay yet.....doubt it if i ever will. you never know what you are going to get. and the system of 'auctioning' stinks. i think its a waste of time. i think they should have a 'buy now' price for everything. thats just my view. others may differ.when a price of a used item goes over the price of a similar 'new' item, its called robbery and the buyer becomes a willing victim.:confused24:

never bought anything off ebay yet.....doubt it if i ever will. you never know what you are going to get. and the system of 'auctioning' stinks. i think its a waste of time. i think they should have a 'buy now' price for everything. thats just my view. others may differ.when a price of a used item goes over the price of a similar 'new' item, its called robbery and the buyer becomes a willing victim.:confused24:
bought most of the stuff for my bike off ebay and saved lots of money.it's like any auction .if you fall asleep you get stung.lots of good buys , but you have to use good sense.and if the price goes over what you can buy it for it's not robbery thats what auctions are all about.the buyer did'nt do his research very well.if you want to play on ebay there's lots of bargains to be had ,but to me it's serious business and i make out pretty good.i've bid on four scooters in the last 2 weeks and lost them all but i will get a bargain pretty soon just got to be patient.bill :)

the buyer did'nt do his research very well.if you want to play on ebay there's lots of bargains to be had ,but to me it's serious business and i make out pretty good.

I've bought... and sold... a ton of things off Ebay in the last 8 years, and have gotten great prices on things I need. You have no idea... I haven't won the lotto lately and quite frankly can't afford plunking down big bucks for a new scoot, or have a dealer maintain it. Thank God for 1stGens. If it weren't for them and Ebay, I'd be walkin'.... This auction just happened to be one of those very few times that things didn't work out. I'm sure that if I had discovered the problem shortly after purchasing I probably would have gotten some sort of satisfaction from the seller, but I didn't, and don't expect to. I don't know what more one could do to 'research' an item??? Ebay's been great to me, and I'll continue to enjoy the savings.:) For those who are so rich that they don't need to save money, more power to them.

Jack,

I think I got the same pads from Florida on ebay last year and just cleaned up the edge of the backing plate with a grinder and reamed out the holes. I have put 5000miles on them without any problem and they aren't showing much wear. My discs are also not getting grooves and the whole surface is shiny so contact is good. I plan on removing them to inspect over the winter but I am happy with the pads so far. I got the 3 sets for less than 1 set costs here in Canada but as always buyer beware and I am keeping a closer eye on them than I would have otherwise. My brakes are a bit spongy but that is because I have original brakelines and they need to be replaced.

I also purchased brake pads for my 1st gen off of Ebay from a different vendor in Ca.........paid just a few dollars more for 3 pair, than what I would have paid for one from the stealer.........only needed to install the rear so I have 2 sets to go on as soon as I need too, the bike stops better than ever, and I put this guy on my favorites list on ebay just in case I need more..........but you are right its buyer beware when your dealing with ebay, the scammers are growing on there by the minute.........just make sure you check out their fedback before purchasing............I have only been stung once and recouped most of my money from ebay.

Have a great day.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've bought... and sold... a ton of things off Ebay in the last 8 years, and have gotten great prices on things I need. You have no idea... I haven't won the lotto lately and quite frankly can't afford plunking down big bucks for a new scoot, or have a dealer maintain it. Thank God for 1stGens. If it weren't for them and Ebay, I'd be walkin'.... This auction just happened to be one of those very few times that things didn't work out. I'm sure that if I had discovered the problem shortly after purchasing I probably would have gotten some sort of satisfaction from the seller, but I didn't, and don't expect to. I don't know what more one could do to 'research' an item??? Ebay's been great to me, and I'll continue to enjoy the savings.:) For those who are so rich that they don't need to save money, more power to them.
i've got a set of front pads here off ebay .haven't tried them yet .hope they fit.only paid $21.00 for them.bill :2133:

Jack,

I think I got the same pads from Florida on ebay last year and just cleaned up the edge of the backing plate with a grinder and reamed out the holes. I have put 5000miles on them without any problem and they aren't showing much wear. My discs are also not getting grooves and the whole surface is shiny so contact is good. I plan on removing them to inspect over the winter but I am happy with the pads so far. I got the 3 sets for less than 1 set costs here in Canada but as always buyer beware and I am keeping a closer eye on them than I would have otherwise. My brakes are a bit spongy but that is because I have original brakelines and they need to be replaced.

Yep, got the same deal Rick. I did the same thing as you did, but felt I'd rather be safe than sorry. If I'd had the disc sander up and running I might have done a little nicer job on the edges, but with the grinder it turned out a little less than square. Maybe I'll dress them up and use them on one of the other VR's the next time around. The composition of the pad looked pretty good. I just felt if they were supposed to be made to fit a certain model, then they should fit without having to screw around with them. I still haven't heard back for the seller.....

Jack,

If you hear back from the dealer let us know. It will be interesting what he says. I don't think there was a brand name on the package that I received was there any markings on yours?

I haven't heard back yet Rick, and I don't really have much hope of it happening, but if I do I'll let you know. Mine didn't have any marking on them either. One thing I can do is let everyone on this board know the sellers Ebay ID. And I just searched back thru the sellers feedback and it seems this pad size problem has happened before. All 3 of the pads I have did the same thing, so it's not just an isolated thing. Also from what I gather he never answers his email.....

The Extreme Shop.

He's out of Fl., and this is how he describes his pads.

High Quality KEVLAR Brake Pads (NOT CHEAP CHINESE PADS with LESS FRICTION MATERIAL) , Best Quality-Price Store.