Im debating using a tooth pick. The small pointed ones. Im still looking for the piant I want to use. Ive seen it once. It was used for painting the dots on iron sites on pistols. It glows in the dark a yellowish color in the dark.Its also white in the daylight.

David

Clean the area real well, then Vaseline the area, especially in and around the letters. The clean the top of the letters with contact cleaner,,, now paint, let dry and clean away the smeared Vaseline. The paint you use,,,,well that's your choice.

Just wanted to jump in here to get some clearification from MarCarl.

Do you mean to put the Vaseline in the "grooves" that make up the lettering? Or just on the "raised surfaces?" In other words, do you use the Vaseline to try and keep the white paint from sticking on the raised black surfaces?

I kinda figure that I can get one of those really fine paint brushes that you find in hobby centers for painting models and such.

Has anyone got any pics of this process?

Just wanted to jump in here to get some clearification from MarCarl.

Do you mean to put the Vaseline in the "grooves" that make up the lettering? Or just on the "raised surfaces?" In other words, do you use the Vaseline to try and keep the white paint from sticking on the raised black surfaces?

I kinda figure that I can get one of those really fine paint brushes that you find in hobby centers for painting models and such.

Has anyone got any pics of this process?

Sorry, gave only half the story. What I described works for raised lettering, using the contact cleaner only on the cloth only to wipe off the raised part of the lettering so that the paint will stick to the raised part and not flow into any depressions.

On depressed lettering it's different. You'll need to clean everything real well, especially the lettering, then just smear the paint on so that it colors the lettering (too much is not good as it will crack on drying) the wipe of the surface with a clean rag. You won't wipe out the lettering if you're careful.

and if you do which sometimes happens then just redo that area.I have used white Testors model paint as that is an enamal and very durable.You may want to thin it just a little as it is very thick from the bottle.The paint sign painters or pinstripers use is good also One Shot.I don't know where you would get the flourecent paint that painterman talks about,maybe a silkscreen supply as that is also what they use on instruments and how they apply it.

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I was the only one thinking about this. I bought "extra fine tip" white sharpies, but the tips are too blunt, and the paint come out in globs. I will try the Vaseline trick.

You can get writting paint pens at some of these crafts stores. I picked up one in white and another in orange. I cut the tips to a point and redid my '83. I didn't take a lot of time, and I'm sure anyone could do a better job than I did. I just told everybody it was in Klingon... :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I used the P-touch (model PT-2730) from brother. It's a "PC-Connectable Labeling System" and I used white lettering on black tape 1/2" cartridge. I went from not seeing any lettering at all to the attached image. It's not perfect, but I think it came out ok.

I used the P-touch (model PT-2730) from brother. It's a "PC-Connectable Labeling System" and I used white lettering on black tape 1/2" cartridge. I went from not seeing any lettering at all to the attached image. It's not perfect, but I think it came out ok.

Thats looks darn good!

I think new label tape sounds good. If you can scuff it up and get it to stick? Maybe a little larger print for older eyes? I have trouble reading mileage while going down the road?? Don't like to take my attention away from the road.

I connected the P-touch to my computer and used MS PowerPoint to get the font to match what was there, as well as the triangle characters and lines. The P-touch machine has a limited character set. And it will allow me to generate larger font for "old eyes" and is very difficult to rub-off. And I noticed the cracked mounting hole when I was putting it back on the bike, so I used Plastex to rebuild it.