IGNORED

Time to step up the plate!!!

TimRobertson06

I know we would all like to see Yamha (Star) get back in this race for the best of the best touring bikes but when was the last time Yamaha listened to it's following??? Sure, I would love to see a new max engine in a totally redesigned bike that would just turn the market on it's ear, but folks I got a gut feeling that just ain't gonna happen!!! Unless they take on the likes of the Honda GW, and go at it full throttle like they started to back with the 1st Gen, they'll be waisting their time and money. You gotta give it to Honda though. They took a totally different approach to the touring market, stuck with it, and poured money into it until today they've got one heck of a touring bike. And nothing else on the rode is made like it except for the other Tupper ware bike(Vision)!!! If Yamaha had spent that kind of money and research on the 1st Gen, there would never have been a 2Gen. The market is there if Yamaha ever wants to get it's share of it!! So, I believe as stated earlier, they'll look at what the majority of buyers are buying now and use one of their existing V-Twins. I surely hope I'm wrong on this one!!

I know I shouldn't, but :2cents: . Yamaha only has a touring bike now for one reason. Wait for it - - - - wait for it - - - - - yes, that's right they had an excess of cassette players purchased a head of time but lack luster sales kept them from unloading the inventory, so

they keep selling them to some of us jug heads.

The truth is they never, nor did Kaw for that matter, ever really compete with Honda. The reason I figure is simply pride. They couldn't make a Yamaha wing so they did the next best thing and made a Harley look a like. Don't get me wrong I had one and I loved it. The fact is they (Yamaha), simply did not, never did, never will listen to their market. If they did, they would have beat Victory and BMW to the punch and made a ride we all could be

proud of.

The only thing that keeps me going with Yamaha and the Venture is loyalty. Not to Yamaha, but you my Venturerider family. Well, that's my :2cents: . You can rag on me

and that's alright because I know you love me as I do all of you.

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/valentine-htm/valentine/anim_heart/heartani.gif

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest scarylarry

I'm looking at 12 HD ultra classic now and I think it would be great bike for extended day trip but for few weeks out I don't know if that would work..

Seating is not all there for me...

Whether we like it or not, I think Yamahas focus isnt on the big tourer. Its on dirtbikes and atvs. They have sat on their hands for so long with the design that they are tied to it. Honda went the other way with the wing, and have a good bike. But how many wings do you see compared to a HD? If Yamaha is going to try to pick off a piece of the market that is held by these two companies, which do you think they'd copy? Picking off a few of the HD riders with a strat makes more sense than trying to design something that will compete with the wing. Its a good thing Yamaha has some dedicated venture backers, and the v-4 is still one of the best kept secrets in the motorcycle world. But its a shame that Yamaha didnt keep progressing the platform so more people knew it. I am afraid that we may see the end of the venture as we know it, and it sucks........

I talked to a regional rep for yamaha at Sturgis 2 years ago. They had all their bikes sitting out for people to see, including the new strat with the fairing. But NO Venture anywhere to be seen. I asked him why no venture? He couldnt really answer me, and we talked for awhile about the end of the RSTD etc. I told him I was looking forward to seeing the new Venture, he asked if there was anything else he could show me, and I said "Yeah another brand.....". They killed off my model and couldnt bring their best tourer to Sturgis for people to see. Pretty much said it all to me, so its not surprising that I have a HD. But I still like this site and all of you guys!

I'm looking at 12 HD ultra classic now and I think it would be great bike for extended day trip but for few weeks out I don't know if that would work..

Seating is not all there for me...

Check out the Road Glides, I am 6 foot and 265 pounds. I love it, fairing is farther away and it makes it more roomy. Great big guys bike!

Guest scarylarry
No wonder why you haven't be on your 09 it hasn't had any carbs for 6 months!!!:rotf:

Richie R

I ride it almost daily...:rotf:

Guest scarylarry
Check out the Road Glides, I am 6 foot and 265 pounds. I love it, fairing is farther away and it makes it more roomy. Great big guys bike!

I'll give it a 2nd look but I really like the UG a lot...

As someone previously said, its all specualtion but I had an interesting coversation with a yamaha dealer last week. He said two yamaha engineers had visited his dealership twice in the last few months and asked him his opinon about yamaha bikes. He said he has never had an engineer visit. He said the dealers contastanly complain about the venture not at least having efi and no cassette. He said he told the engineer that today you can even buy a weedeater with efi. What does this mean? Who knows but it is a bit of encouraging news.

With the 1,700 CC engine in the V-MAX, fuel injection and all, wouldn't you think that they would use that as a basis to build a new touring machine? The possibilities seem endless. V-4, smooth, extremely powerful, no choke lever, no cassette player. Might even win over some 1st genners!

:stickpoke:

(but I loved my '84 VR right up till I traded it in 2004)

They will pry my cassette/Iphone adaptor from my cold, dead hands.

I met a guy yesterday that had a new Vision and he was telling me all about it. The features and how and where it was made, you know, all the hype. Then he said it would run 180 mph..., yea right!! He had a HD before he bought the Vision. I ain't sayin' nothing, I'm just sayin'!!!

I met a guy yesterday that had a new Vision and he was telling me all about it. The features and how and where it was made, you know, all the hype. Then he said it would run 180 mph..., yea right!! He had a HD before he bought the Vision. I ain't sayin' nothing, I'm just sayin'!!!

180, is that all? I got a Gen 1 that'll do that in 3d.

:banana:

Looking at the bikes on Yamaha's site... one option for a "starting point" is :

- 1298cc, DOHC, 16-valve, liquid-cooled in-line four (red line 9,000 rpm), EFI, mileage 47mpg Imperial, easy-access cartridge-type spin-on oil filter, 99 ft lbs torque at 7,000 rpm

- shaft drive

- ABS

- electrically adjustable windscreen

- adjustable handlebars offer three positions

- easy-to-read instrumentation includes an electronic analog speedometer and tachometer, LCD digital odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel and coolant temperature gauges, plus a clock as well as a range of warning lights. Other functions include outside air temperature, a gear position indicator and fuel consumption read out

- Immobilizer ignition system, "one-key" system to operate all keyed devices on the bike including the main ignition and steering lock, saddlebags and top case

Add a little more fairing, communications system, comfortable seats, lower the exhaust... FJR1300 could be a good starting point.

Downside of the VMax 1700cc motor is it is only 32 mpg Imperial. Although the 123 ft lbs of torque would be nice, the fuel mileage is the downside.