IGNORED

Kumho Wobble

Steve-O

Was reading an old thread about the Kumho Wobble:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50114&highlight=kumho+wobble

I recently put a Kumho on and have the wobble at 75mph. I'm going to adjust the air pressure before I try other things.

Looks like air pressure, suspension part replacement, and tightening things up solved this for most folks. Any other solutions?

Rode from Dallas to Tulsa and back over the weekend.

• Had the bike checked by a mechanic before I left. Did the 4k check which I don't think was ever done.
  • Checked the front tire. Found it to be overinflated, so got it down to normal. I believe this is the original front tire.
  • Adjusted the rear tire pressure down by 2 lbs increments

Wobble never went away. REALLY wanted this to work out. I'm wondering if my front tire is out of balance, or might be the cause. But this is my girlfriends bike and I think she's lost all confidence in the tire. Probably just going to call it a lesson learned and put some new Venom's on the front and back. Resell the slightly used Kumho.

I had one wobble with the Kumo on a loooooong sweeping curve. Don't remember how fast I was going but it was over the speed limit. Added air and the woble went away. Since then I haven't had the urge to break the speed barrier - hence, no problem

imho - 75 is too fast anyway, if you're late, should have left sooner.

Could eliminate the wobble by taking the tire that is supposed to be on a car rim and replace it with an actual tire for say......a motorcycle.

I never understand postings like this! This is the darksider forum...whether or not we agree...it is a darksider forum!

I'm running a BF Goodrich TA radial on the rear with 29 lbs psi, 2 up, full sidebags and trunk packed, with a Metzler bias on the front. On the way to the river run in Laughlin we were running 90 mph just keeping up with the traffic. Our Road Captain, on a 2006 Road King got caught up in a tank slapper in the sweeping turn from Barstow to hwy 15 at just over 100 mph. I had no issues, but I don't make any sudden changes, just trying to keep everything smooth. After this, we kept the speed at 90. On the way back, we kept the speeds at a relaxed 75 to 80. No issues at all. The Road Captain will not run anything but tires recommended by Harley. I'm very happy with the car tire, but I may try the new Commanders next, promising double the milage of a Metzler. I've probably got another 20000 miles left on the TA radial, so I have plenty of time to see what others say about the Commanders.

There was something on the news several months ago about one of the HD models having a lot of this type problem. I don't remember which model but it concerned the bikes either oscillating or wobbling coming out of a turn. A lot of wrecks because of this.

Steve-O... what pressure are you running in the Kumho? I never did have a wobble on my RSV but I did move pressure around a lot and settled on 38psi on mine. It seems a lot of riders have their CT's in the 20's but mine felt too "loose" that low.

Steve-O... what pressure are you running in the Kumho? I never did have a wobble on my RSV but I did move pressure around a lot and settled on 38psi on mine. It seems a lot of riders have their CT's in the 20's but mine felt too "loose" that low.

I started at 44 and dropped by 2 lbs increments to 34. Guess it wouldn't hurt to drop it down in the 20s. My old bike had the same tire. I remember the lower the pressure, the better the tire felt. It did not have the wobble...but it couldn't go as fast either.

Was reading an old thread about the Kumho Wobble:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50114&highlight=kumho+wobble

I recently put a Kumho on and have the wobble at 75mph. I'm going to adjust the air pressure before I try other things.

Looks like air pressure, suspension part replacement, and tightening things up solved this for most folks. Any other solutions?

Have to assume this is a second gen...what about the fork brace? Are they beefier on the second gens?

2006, so yes, 2d gen.

The bike has 8k miles. I took it in at 7k and had the 4k service done because I wasn't sure it was ever done (bought it at 6k). Had them go over the bike and check:

• steering column bearings
  • rear shock bushings.
  • loose swingarm bearings

specifically. Mechanic said the front tire was overinflated, but other than that, the bike was solid. Rode to Tulsa and the bike still wobbled somewhere between 70 and 85.

Note that I could keep the bike straight. But if I "shook" the bike, it REALLY started to wobble. On my Liner, if I "shook" the bike, it would right itself. It was not normal.

• 2 weeks later...

wondering what percentage of darksiders experience this wobble?

didn't feel it sat or sun while riding 2-up.

but the commute today was a bit disconcerting.

30psi on the way to work, had it bumped to 38psi for the ride home.

70mph & above - there was the wobble / wag...

just a bit of a pucker factor involved.

spoke to another darksider - he expeienced the wobbel with kumho but not with a bridgestone cartire..

thoughts???

I have not experienced any wobble with my kuhmo. I have had it on there for about 18K and it still has much more life in it. I run it at about 37psi. I have a 130 front tire as well. I pull a trailer or camper every once in a while and still no wobble.

2006, so yes, 2d gen.

The bike has 8k miles. I took it in at 7k and had the 4k service done because I wasn't sure it was ever done (bought it at 6k). Had them go over the bike and check:

• steering column bearings
  • rear shock bushings.
  • loose swingarm bearings

specifically. Mechanic said the front tire was overinflated, but other than that, the bike was solid. Rode to Tulsa and the bike still wobbled somewhere between 70 and 85.

Note that I could keep the bike straight. But if I "shook" the bike, it REALLY started to wobble. On my Liner, if I "shook" the bike, it would right itself. It was not normal.

I did the same thing and could always produce a wobble by gently alternating pressure from one floor board to the other. When I went back to a MC tire I tried the same thing and couldn't get the bike to do it anymore. Like I've said many times, I tried for 1500 miles to get it to work but never did like the "wobble", oscillation, whatever it was. It rode great 2up, but I don't always ride 2up.

• 2 weeks later...

Have over 30,000 on the present kumho, no wobble have dropped to 28 to 30 lbs, rides better and better stoping grip, but no wobble at any speed.

Have about 27,000 miles on the avon cobra radial on frount, going to order a new one shortly have on spot that the tread is getting low, must have slid it.

Gregg

another weekend of experimenting with pressures...

couple hundred miles ridden.

2-up w/the kumho is a very pleasant riding experience.

no issues with cornering, smoother ride over most any road surface.

makes the RSV seem a couple hundred pounds lighter and more responsive.

however, seems that regardless of the pressure combination (front/ rear) there is still a darting/wag/wobble that does not appear to be associated with varying road surfaces.

have an Avon on the front - about half worn.

steering bearing sufficently tight.

wondering if it has to do with the 90psi to seat the bead or ?????

debating additional experimentation with the kumho, try a Radial T/A or order an Avon...

I know Footsie and others have had good luck with the CT and I never did get used to it, but has anyone tried to put the max air pressure in and riding it. I'm thinking the sidewalls are more flexible than a MT so I was wondering about inflating to tire recommended max. I don't remember what the max inflation that is written on the side of the tire. I also don't remember if I tried this or not when I had mine on the bike. I'm also thinking if it takes so much pressure to seat the beads and doesn't blow up at 80-100 psi, maybe if the tire could be run at, say, 50 psi?????

Ok I just went out and looked at the tire that was on my bike.It says max load 1201 lbs at 44psi. So since the bike weighs far less than that considering there's 2 tires to hold it up, maybe someone could try this???? Forgive me fellas , but I still would like to find some way to make this work for me also.

• 1 month later...

What other alternative is there to the Kuhmo ?

Is the Kuhmo the only C/T that gives a wobble?

I drove to Lancaster Ohio this week, and got a Kuhmo from America's Tire, they have 3 more in stock.... now... need to get it mounted.

Been reading this thread, and I have a question. Been riding my 05 RSV with a Kuhmo now for 30k miles. I noticed a slight handling issue when when I put a smaller size front tire on, like 130/90 R16 instead of the OE 150/80 R16. Just a thought, what size is your front tire? The dealer may say the tire is fine, but it may be the wrong size. By the way, I run 35 psi in my CT AND I'm going back to the stock size front tire next time it need changing.

Edited by Royalstargazer

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWddBTxPDYQ]On The Darkside - YouTube[/ame]

running a Kuhmo Powerstar 758 at 45psi, dunlop 404 rear tire on the front, reversed at 38 psi.

Local Dealer mounted the tires, rear tire popped in place at 60'ish psi, well lubed with rim highly polished

Ran the interstate awhile no wobble, had it up to 85mph.

Rode home about 65 miles..... I am pleased with the mod. not for everyone, but is working for me!!

:fingers-crossed-emo