IGNORED

This Is Your Brain on a Motorcycle

GolfVenture

Thanks for posting this great article Brian. Interesting to me as my wife often says that she feels safer with me on the back of the VR than with me in our car.

Oh, this just raises soooo many questions but I'll play nice today..... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks for posting this great article Brian. Interesting to me as my wife often says that she feels safer with me on the back of the VR than with me in our car.

Sometimes syntax matters.

:whistling:

Most of you don't know, but in 09 Mike was in a wreck with a semi (rearended 2x). Other than some whiplash and bruising from the seatbelt he seemed fine after I drove him to the ER. A few days later he started having memory, vision, and speech problems that continued to worsen. After several CAT scans, MRIs the docs couldn't find anything wrong except a cyst in his brain that might explain some but not all the symptoms. However it was considered a preexisting condition and therefore unrelated to the accident. In the spring of 2010 Mike made the decision when he got his settlement money from the accident he was buying a bike, something he could commute on and do roadtrips. While the case was dragging its feet we saw another doc that was willing to evaluate Mike for our case, while he didn't testify that the accident had a direct impact on Mike's cognitive and speech abilities he told us Mike needed activities that would engage Mike's brain more than what I had tried thus far. After buying the Zuki last spring and spending all summer riding to his heart's content alot of the memory and speech problems faded slowly as well as the vision issues. By the time he went back to work and had worked a few weeks all but a few words he still can't pronounce correctly were back to normal. The downside (to me) is I lost my slavic sounding husband (He's 1st gen Croatian-American) and has been replaced by a country hick lol. I think he figured out during his downtime that the complexity of riding his bike would retrain his brain to adapt.

I compare riding a bike to sailing. Power boaters are like car drivers. Get in, turn it on, turn your brain off and bulldoze your way to where you are going. Stop, turn it off, turn your brain back on. With a sailboat you have to be aware every second. Tides, back eddys, wind shifts, waves, other boaters, etc. Same as with a bike, you have to be much more aware of road conditions, weather, traffic etc. In both cases you don't have to pick a destination, sailing or riding is the destination.