IGNORED

AIS Plug/Removal

I am new to this site and have really enjoyed reading all of the tech tips from a vast variety of owners. I'm particularly interested in plugging / removing the AIS on my 2001 Venture. I have read several of the post and was looking for anyone who has done it more recent. Any recent updated tips would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from anyone!!!

Thanks, Jakbag

Why? The AIS doesn't use any power and actually does reduce some emissions. It doesn't even weigh that much. So unless it is broken or you are getting some popping in the exhaust or something there is just no reason to fool with it.

Mike

I was getting a backfire under decel while I was in the mountains. I tried replacing the exhaust donuts and made sure no leaks. Carb Tune. Spark Plug replaced. Coil Packs checked. Still got the backfire, so I first plugged the AIS four years ago. This winter I just removed the whole system.

Needed to remove.

1. Four brass plugs to cap the ends at the hard pipes. Two in the rear of engine and two in the front of engine. I used a 3/4" brass pipe cap with four new clamps. I used the gaskets that came off the original system.

2. Two new rubber plugs that go on the vacumn lines next to the area that the two plugs are already. You will have four in lieu of two.

3. I found that the rear pipes had a cross bar that must be sawed in half to allow you to remove.

4. I also found that the radiator had to be removed to access the front system.

That should about do it.

If you need anything feel free to send me a P.M.

I am new to this site and have really enjoyed reading all of the tech tips from a vast variety of owners. I'm particularly interested in plugging / removing the AIS on my 2001 Venture. I have read several of the post and was looking for anyone who has done it more recent. Any recent updated tips would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from anyone!!!

Thanks, Jakbag

The tips from the older threads still apply today. There hasnt been a miraculous change in procedure. But you may find a huge difference of opinions on the AIS system. Some are for it, some against. Me personally, I had plugged the system at first and when I had the radiator out for a repair I went ahead and removed the whole AIS system. Bike ran fine and I had more clearance when changing the oil filter.

And away we go........:smile5:

I also plugged my AIS right after adding new Roadhouse pipes and it stopped the annoying popping back fire. Which I am going to say that this is probably why you have such an interest in it. No problems and the write up was the same for me on a 2007 RSTD, same as your 2001 Venture probably. Same bikes just you have more electrical stuff and rear trunk. I will do away with mine soon and stop carring it around for no reason.

Someone said my bike sounds like a Corvette on steroids. Roadhouse pipes. I like the pipes and have had many compliments from people whom have heard them, and some from other VentureRider members about the pipes I have.vI know I like it and 42 mpg at average speed and one up. Here is a old link about the pipes and the AIS system.

Roadhouse pipes --- http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63142

AIS --- http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=485

Fuzzy :smile5:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Took about 2 hours and all went without a problem. Best part was upon test driving there was NO POPPING anymore on deceleration:)) I also did a carb sync too so hopefully that will give me some better MPG's. Next project is to replace the stock speakers, any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks for all the GREAT tech posts on this site!!!!

Took about 2 hours and all went without a problem. Best part was upon test driving there was NO POPPING anymore on deceleration:)) I also did a carb sync too so hopefully that will give me some better MPG's. Next project is to replace the stock speakers, any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks for all the GREAT tech posts on this site!!!!

I was waiting to see if I was correct about that. You did have the popping. Glad you got it fixed. There are really a lot of knowledgeable people on here. They have helped me in numerous ways.

Fuzzy :mo money: :confused24::backinmyday::smile5:

Jak, ya gatta try the search engine bro.. lots about speakers and other good stuff

I use Polk and the other is pioneer. other then that.... WELCOME.

not sure if being a trial memeber lets you search or not. but I can say

one thing. this will be the best 12 bucks you ever spent.

good luck,

Jeff

Polk 401 speakers will fit. If you go with the polks, or any other speaker get the foam cover that goes over the back of the speakers to direct sound forward. Crutchfield.com has both the speakers and foam baffles. You need the 2.5" baffle.

Jak, ya gatta try the search engine bro.. lots about speakers and other good stuff

I use Polk and the other is pioneer. other then that.... WELCOME.

not sure if being a trial memeber lets you search or not. but I can say

one thing. this will be the best 12 bucks you ever spent.

good luck,

Jeff

:sign yeah that::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::LIME: