IGNORED

Rear Tire Overload?

FROG MAN

You mean like this? I just took the picture 10 minutes ago, just for this thread.

This is my current front tire, I have no idea how many miles are on it. It was on the bike when I bought it and I've put 10,000 on the bike since June.

Hoping to get another 3 or 4 thousand out of it.

I'm like Kit, change tires well before they get to the wear bars. I'll never win a high mileage tire contest. I would be changing that one.

DT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson
You mean like this? I just took the picture 10 minutes ago, just for this thread.

This is my current front tire, I have no idea how many miles are on it. It was on the bike when I bought it and I've put 10,000 on the bike since June.

Yes like that one Forest!! That one would scare me.....the side tread on that one is gone...middle is thin......time for a new one.........Maybe I go to extremes......just like good tires is all....then I simply relax.......but I do watch the tires....quite closely......I know bike tires are high .........but I want to go for a ride when I am 70 years old.....keeping good tires might help me make that goal.

I think I posted this comment before.......I have a friend who had an old sportster in a shed......we got it out and dusted it off........fixed it all up......and he wanted to use the old 10 year old weather cracked tires.....yes it takes money......I just bought him a set of new tires.........I like good tires......and safety.......do not become a worry wart over it......but make it a part of biking. Go get you a new tire......couple of them!!

Wear bars are placed on the tires as a referance point. When the wear is to the bar, its time to look for a new tire. I've gone way past the wear bars, to the different colored treads in the cord on a long trip because of the lack of a properly sized and rated tire. Use common sense with your tires as with anything in life and you will prevail! With a worn or damaged tire, slow down and just take it easy and you will make it home. Some times it's good to take the long way home...

Leonard

I personally would like to see a better focused picture before giving my opinion. With it so out of focus I couldn't make a judgment either way.

Haven't the Metzler's had a reputation for chunks of tread separating from the tire?

It doesn't help when the installer under inflates them. Mine was about 12 Lbs low, on my new one last year. Installer used bike specs & not the tire specs...........

:2cents:

Don't forget about the laws of physics. When riding two up we are increasing the bikes center of gravity. Forward motion inertia causes more weight transfer to the rear. Sometimes riding two up I can put 100 % or 1200 lbs on the rear tire. It's called riding a wheelie on a first gen.:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Guest KitCarson

Boo........you have zipped right on past the wear bars.....and headed for the secondary wear bars......those are the little cross-hatch threads under the rubber, you guys scare me......:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::bighug: